Page 1 of 2
LastLast

warrior tanking vs paladin tanking

I really don't know which one I want to roll. I have played both in the past but only as DPS. So I'm wondering how warrior tanking compares to paladin tanking.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've tanked with both classes and I personally enjoyed playing warrior more to be quite honest. However, having Lay of Hands or your bubble as a pally can save you when you don't notice your healer is AFK :x. Its more of a preference.

I've played both in a decently progressive raid setting. I personally prefer my war....10x more mobile than pally and SBarrier is super nice for magic dmg mitigation. With the addition of banners, the utility that wars bring is also better than it was, and I love having an aoe phy dmg redcution shout. Obviously the pally still wins on self heals and overall raid utility, I just find it to be dramatically less fun than the war. A war is also a much better kiter/add tank.

Warrior (biased opinion btw) havent tanked since wrath on my pally, but ive switched to warrior tanking and having way more fun, TONS of mobility (if you play it right), TONS of utility (Swave, Sbar, Banners, Disarm, Rallying Cry) some might say that those are useless against bosses, but bosses are only part of the raid. Plus in 5 mans you have the absolute most add control of any class (with the possible exception of a good monk).

I personally think they are much alike. I think you would like any of them, personally i prefer the warrior, so thats what i would advise you to take :>

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of my personal enjoyment, DK>Warrior>Pally.
    My warrior is my main, DK main alt, pally secondary alt.

Warrior is a lot more versatile, and I love the mobility with double charge leap and intervenes.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

10+ Year Old Account
    Warrior tanking is REALLY fun. I originally rolled my pally to tank, but now he's a healer, and I don't quite find pally tanking as exciting as warrior tanking. There's so many buttons to push and decisions to be made!

Deleted
    Monk is pretty entertaining aswell if you like button mashing and a highly reactive class

Between the two listed though... warrior every time hands down:P

Each tanking class has their own merits and whimsical nuances the least favorite for me is feral druid... DK is good fun due to excessive amounts of cheese and its smorgasbord of cooldowns and just general fun factor

Deleted
    Yeah GG asking the question in the warrior forum if you're looking for unbiased answers.
    I think that Paladin is a little bit more "difficult" to play optimally, nothing huge. You generally have a lot more abilites that can and should be used at any time while you really need to have a nice grasp on the priorities.
    Warriors definitely have more mobility, but that's largely countered by the Paladins amount of ranged attacks or targeted concecration. The mobility wins out on fun though.
    I think there are a lot of perks with both classes, and while they're similar in the sense they both... uh, actively mitigate? They're not really similar outside of that.

Deleted
    I tested all Tanking classes a LOT in Cata and again in MOP beta to choose my class(es). And my result is this:

Warrior > DK > Monk > Bear > Paladin

I don't have any class bias, this is purly based on the fun I had tanking MANY 5s in MOP and also raiding experience in Cata.

Short reason:
    As Warrior you always have somthing to do, there is no dull moment and I like that - I hate being bored playing. Also teh mobility is fantastic, it's is not only practical it also adds another fun factor. Also you have tools to handle all situations. Yes AOE tanking is a little bit more "complicated" than with the other tanks, but it's not hard, it's fun. I don't just want to press one button over and over, I like Shockwaving in the right position etc... It's really rewarding!

DK:
    You are less mobile but you have amyzing tools too. I like to tank with Asphyxiate, being able to stun, grip, ... is fun. AOE tanking is fun, spreading diseases and then aoe bursting. You can really manage your defenses. It's not jsut one or two buttons which do almost the same. Whith anti magic shell you can survive stuff other tanks have problems with...

Monk:
    Is a lot of fun becasue of mobility and genereal playstyle. After a while it got a little dull though, it's just so easy...

Bear:
    Like a toned down Warrior. Every time I play Bear I wish I was playing Warrior... It's only for you if you like charge but don't want to manage as many abilities as Warrior has.

Paladin:
    simply the most boring tank, sorry (my opinion of course). You do not always have somthing to press, you don't have as much variation as you would have with Warrior or DK. Long Arms of the Law makes the whole thing more fun because you get some mobility, but I just don't feel it. I get bored as Pala tank so fast.
    Also experimenting with Dark Simularicum is fun. You will be surprised which spells you can copy

So if it's really just between Paladin and Warrior for you it's Warrior all the way, hands down, no contest.

Deleted
    *double post*
    Last edited by mmoc1b0e38a1f5; 2013-01-22 at 10:12 PM.

Deleted
    Warrior is my favourite tank.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashevyn View Post
    Paladin: Boring playstyle. Yes if you want to get everythign out of it annd use your "Hand" spells right it is hard to master, but for most fights you don't need to and it's boring. Paladin also has downtime in easy / mediocre fights. Overall most boring tank, but pretty
    I don't mind you finding Paladin boring, it's very subjective. But Paladins have more buttons to press, and i'm suprised how someone would think otherwise since it's a fact they do.
    Executing a max HoPo/min "rotation" is not easy unless you want to look bad on logs refreshing Sacred Shield when Judgement is up or casting judgement when crusader strike is off cooldown.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teks View Post
    I don't mind you finding Paladin boring, it's very subjective. But Paladins have more buttons to press, and i'm suprised how someone would think otherwise since it's a fact they do.
    Executing a max HoPo/min "rotation" is not easy unless you want to look bad on logs refreshing Sacred Shield when Judgement is up or casting judgement when crusader strike is off cooldown.
    True but it doesn't feel (re)active, it feels boring. Don't get me wrong, Paladin was my main for a long time, but I am just sick of it and I never had as much fun with Pala tanking as I have with Warrior and DK tanking. Certainly it's a matter of preference, but for me Paladin is far behind in terms of fun factor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashevyn View Post
    True but it doesn't feel (re)active, it feels boring. Don't get me wrong, Paladin was my main for a long time, but I am just sick of it and I never had as much fun with Pala tanking as I have with Warrior and DK tanking. Certainly it's a matter of preference, but for me Paladin is far behind in terms of fun factor.
    I get that, i think it's a matter of "the grass is always greener on the other side".
    The reason you might find Warrior more fun than paladin is because you've too familiar with paladin tanking. I'm going from playing warrior for this tier to paladin in the next, and who knows i might be itching to play DK the one after that or back to warrior.

But for now paladin tanking feels amazingly elegant and versatile to me.

Deleted
    Did you accumulate enough haste to push the cooldown of your holy power generators by a fair amount? Without that paladin (both ret and prot) feels broken in a bad way due to the lack of abilities to push.

But Paladins have more buttons to press, and i'm suprised how someone would think otherwise since it's a fact they do.
    They do? Paladin have a decent amount of hotkeys they tend to use compared to eg a druid but compared to a warrior they fall behind slightly (30ish binds vs 36).

Paladin is missing his lvl 90 talent - i put sprint in to make up for that - i didn't bother showing the other bars with ress', mount, trinkets, secondbuff, healthstone and potion binds because both end up using the same amount there. Some of the shown abilities will end up being situational (eg: fear undead or hamstring) but that's the case for both classes so i just didn't try to judge at all.

--

On the min/maxing side: paladin feels superior due to raid healing right now. On some fights it's like night and day, luckily on other it's not (damage wise they end up pretty similar) so i'd still bring the player over the class here. Thanks to 30% runspeed talent paladins movement catched up in MoP compared to Cata. But i think warrior will pull ahead damage taken wise (in a positive way) due to reaching 100% crit block chance with stacking mastery in the coming tier (top tanks sitting already at 80%ish this tier).

Deleted
    Sigh, when i say more buttons to press i don't literally want to compare actual spells in the spellbook. I'm talking while actively tanking. There's nothing close to sword and board fishing in the paladin gameplay which is something i like.

That said, i enjoy warrior tanking. I just don't find paladin tanking boring or particularly easy as some people seem to keep telling me.
    Last edited by mmoc2a162f1935; 2013-01-23 at 12:39 AM.

Deleted
    I'm talking while actively tanking.
    Actually i use 98% of those abilities while actively tanking (unless they won't work on that particular fight). But i guess you just prefer the way you generate the resources on your paladin over your warrior Luckily with 30%+ avoidance revenge proccs rather often before it regulary comes off cooldown so it won't come down to shield block, fish, ... - cata style.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both are fun, but I find Warrior much more fun given the immense toolset you're given as well as already being familiar with my main Rage tank.

Haste-prot pally is loads of fun for me. Haven't touched prot warr since Wrath tho.