Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why do PvP realms exist?

Not sure if this is a better question for General or PvP, since PvP seems to be mostly about class balance/arena/rbg.

Here goes:

Players on PvE realms who want to PvP can flag themselves for PvP, right? So why can't we just have every realm be like that? Then the people who want world PvP can flag themselves and those who don't can do whatever they do. This seems like a simpler solution than: being unhappy with your realm; paying $25 for an xfer; xferring away from friends/good realm. Maybe extend the flag to 30 minutes or an hour or have a "continuous flag" option.

Realms would really be no different than they are now, except that instead of people complaining about being ganked, people might complain that there aren't enough victims to gank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monolith of Mazes View Post
    Realms would really be no different than they are now, except that instead of people complaining about being ganked, people might complain that there aren't enough victims to gank.
    Exactly. There will always be something for someone to complain about, so don't change what isn't broken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people who don't want to PvP roll on PvP realms? If you are ganked and whine about it,then sorry but it is tough luck. You chose the wrong realm type.

PvE realms exist for a reason.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because alot of us like the uncertainty that comes with a PvP realm, it's obvious why it's there just read the realm rules, that's why, we like the watching your back while you quest, and being able to come across a member of the opposing faction and have a little fight without them Blueshielding

blizz powers their servers with tears. that is the reason for the existence of arena, LFD, LFR, pvp servers, maintaining low pop servers, and every nerf that ever happened
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Because alot of us like the uncertainty that comes with a PvP realm, it's obvious why it's there just read the realm rules, that's why, we like the watching your back while you quest, and being able to come across a member of the opposing faction and have a little fight without them Blueshielding
    Yeah, I remember how epic it felt to run through Ashenvale for the first time and wonder if I'd run into a night elf (playing as a tauren). It was good fun. But couldn't people who want those kinds of experiences still have them with the optional self flagging?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    blizz powers their servers with tears. that is the reason for the existence of arena, LFD, LFR, pvp servers, maintaining low pop servers, and every nerf that ever happened
    and the spirit energy given off my unborn children when a man decides to ditch his girl to play
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people like the spontaneity and potential for pvp at any time on a pvp realm. It also presents an additional challenge.

Plus no one can blue-flag you on a pvp realm. You can be the aggressor on anyone, and not just wander around in hopes you cross another flagged player and otherwise be limited to defense.

I am perma-flagged on several of my guys on a pve realm. I actually get engaged into world pvp combat (outside of city defense situations) like... twice a year. Just because it can happen on pve realms doesn't mean it does.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Yeah, I remember how epic it felt to run through Ashenvale for the first time and wonder if I'd run into a night elf (playing as a tauren). It was good fun. But couldn't people who want those kinds of experiences still have them with the optional self flagging?
    No they could not have the same experience with optional flagging.

A PvP'er on a PvP server/realm wants to be able to kill the enemy pretty much every single time they see the enemy with an optional flag only you rob them of being able to do just that.

Deleted
    We have the "optional self flagging", it's called a PvP server.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I am perma-flagged on several of my guys on a pve realm. I actually get engaged into world pvp combat (outside of city defense situations) like... twice a year. Just because it can happen on pve realms doesn't mean it does.
    Yeah I could definitely see that as being the major killer for this idea. It might not be a good representation of how it would actually be though, since most people who want world pvp are already on pvp servers, I would imagine (no actual evidence to back this up). If all realms were like today's PvE realms, though, with optional flagging, you might come across more people.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 06:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eskobar View Post
    We have the "optional self flagging", it's called a PvP server.
    Yeah, I would say that most people know what they are getting in to when they roll on a PvP realm. But there are certainly people who either don't know what pvp means or go to a pvp realm for friends / raiding prospects. If every realm were of the self-flagging type, friends could stay together etc and those who wanted pvp could still get it (maybe... as long as enough people in the total WoW pop. actually want world pvp).

If uncertainty is why you like PvP realms, then shouldn't PvP realms flag you for free-for-all PvP? What is more uncertain that not knowing if your fellow Alliance/Horde will turn on you over something or nothing at all?

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 11:32 PM ----------

I hate people like you. You always follow me around until a stray auto attack or something hits you and flags me. I really wish auto-flagging was disabled on PvE servers. I'd rather get an "Invalid Target" message than deal with dirtbags on the wrong server.

Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    I hate people like you. You always follow me around until a stray auto attack or something hits you and flags me. I really wish auto-flagging was disabled on PvE servers. I'd rather get an "Invalid Target" message than deal with dirtbags on the wrong server.
    Well it seems that instead of being the best of both sides, this would be frowned upon by PvE server-ers and PvP server-ers alike. Maybe not such a good idea after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you assume I do that? I play, as I normally would, flagged. I don't trick people into flagging. I don't harass people. Believe it or not, plenty of people who like to play flagged are not total assholes.

Besides, all but one of my perma-flagged characters is low enough level that a 90 could one shot me. The only high level one is a healer, so I'm pretty sure I'm not killing anyone.

I just enjoy PvP and world PvP and I like to allow the opportunity for it to happen. I play on a PvE server because I don't have the patience to deal with a leveling situation where I'm constantly worrying about getting ganked, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the rare occasions when I cross someone else who is interested in some fun fighting.

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Nerds hungry for virtual superiority is why.
    Look! Words!

Why would you assume I do that? I play, as I normally would, flagged. I don't trick people into flagging. I don't harass people. Believe it or not, plenty of people who like to play flagged are not total assholes.

Besides, all but one of my perma-flagged characters is low enough level that a 90 could one shot me. The only high level one is a healer, so I'm pretty sure I'm not killing anyone.

I just enjoy PvP and world PvP and I like to allow the opportunity for it to happen. I play on a PvE server because I don't have the patience to deal with a leveling situation where I'm constantly worrying about getting ganked, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the rare occasions when I cross someone else who is interested in some fun fighting.
    Which is probably what was intended when they let PvP flagging happen on PvE servers. Instead it's mostly people standing on and following the mob your are fighting while flagged, or flagging and parking their mammoth on the seed vendor and other such crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is probably what was intended when they let PvP flagging happen on PvE servers. Instead it's mostly people standing on and following the mob your are fighting while flagged, or flagging and parking their mammoth on the seed vendor and other such crap.
    It certainly happens but I rarely see it. Certainly not enough to assume that every person with a flag up a dirtbag. *shrug*

Luckily there is a fix for those people and you even have the option of blue-flagging them.

| twitch | bsky
    |

It certainly happens but I rarely see it. Certainly not enough to assume that every person with a flag up a dirtbag. *shrug*

Luckily there is a fix for those people and you even have the option of blue-flagging them.
    As someone who plays only on PvE servers (both sides), the only time I ever see someone with a PvP flag is when they are going for the faction leader kills or being a dirtbag.

If by blue-flagging you mean the right-click report feature, turns out it doesn't work if they never say anything. If they do any communication at all, it's just emote spam that doesn't give me the Report: Harassment option.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I played on a PvE server for a short stint and tried flagging myself for PvP action people always thought it was a trick and that if they attacked me people were going to jump out and murder them. Right up until max level no one tried to engage me or even wanted to. It sucked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blue-flagging is when you attack a flagged person on a PvE realm without first flagging yourself. It means you always get the first attack. You could bake a nice pyroblast for them and catch them off guard. It's generally considered rude to not flag before your attack, but if they're harassing you anyway, all bets are off.

In other words, the solution to those assholes is killing them. Or get a couple friends to help if it looks like they might have better gear or experience than you.

| twitch | bsky
    |