Animated textures added in minecraft sounded kind of cool, then I saw this

Wrap it up, Minecraft is done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Anassi View Post
    You are a total slave of your hormones. Willpower only gets you so far, those chemicals zipping around in your brain decide how you feel and you can't do jack about it. While you are able to suppress how you show emotions (say, by keeping a straight face when you really want to cry) you cannot turn off the feeling that you want to cry.
    I feel like thoughts like these are often an excuse for people to feel a certain way and refuse to do anything about it, because "they are just a slave to their hormones" so why bother.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesparks View Post
    Buuut you can not cry if your willpower is strong enough. I'm not saying one holds absolute sway over the other; that's a complete falsehood. You cannot control your hormones, yes, but you can control how you react to them and deal with them. It's a constantly shifting balance of power; you are not a slave to your hormones, and your hormones are not a slave to you.
    You actually can control the emotion of getting pissed or angry at a person you can't stand by dealing with him for a while or just think in a diffrent way, like i did sometimes. I just said to myself:"They're just dumb it's not like they want to be dumb they just are like this" (yeah i get actually pissed on penetrant stupidity) and just make fun of them in a way i enjoy, they don't get and doesn't hurt anyone, so my anger turns more in "joy". Yeah, im a horrible person.

Deleted
    Buuut you can not cry if your willpower is strong enough. I'm not saying one holds absolute sway over the other; that's a complete falsehood. You cannot control your hormones, yes, but you can control how you react to them and deal with them. It's a constantly shifting balance of power; you are not a slave to your hormones, and your hormones are not a slave to you.
    And I politely disagree here. You are a slave to your hormones, your brain has total control over you and your feelings. How you feel at this very moment is determined by a complex system of chemicals and receptors that give you a *very* specific state of mind. The only control you have over this is how you show what you are feeling. And how you react to your feelings is basically determined by social expectations, there is a set of written and unwritten rules in the society that you live in that you adhere by.

You can have the best poker face in the world, if your hormones decide that today is "fuck you"-day then you will feel like shit. Only difference is how you show it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post

[video=youtube;RYb6qKnE5xA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYb6qKnE5xA[/vdideo]

Hiya Powers!

Sig: Elyssia | DJoron is the Best

[video=youtube;RYb6qKnE5xA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYb6qKnE5xA[/vieo]

So this is how streaming will be done in the future, just go into a minecraft server and watch movies everywhere.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inner Universe View Post
    I feel like thoughts like these are often an excuse for people to feel a certain way and refuse to do anything about it, because "they are just a slave to their hormones" so why bother.
    Well, I'm a physicist (or at least someone gave me a piece of paper that said I was), so I tend to view stuff like that from the scientific point of view. And that point of view is that if your reaction to a certain kind and amount of chemicals in your brain is determined. If your brain gets flooded with Dopamine you will feel great even if you don't want to. Can't do shit about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I politely disagree here. You are a slave to your hormones, your brain has total control over you and your feelings. How you feel at this very moment is determined by a complex system of chemicals and receptors that give you a *very* specific state of mind. The only control you have over this is how you show what you are feeling. And how you react to your feelings is basically determined by social expectations, there is a set of written and unwritten rules in the society that you live in that you adhere by.

You can have the best poker face in the world, if your hormones decide that today is "fuck you"-day then you will feel like shit. Only difference is how you show it.
    There're some diffrence to people how they have a "fuck you"-day, like when i have it (its rare since im more a funny person and always in good mood), it's more like i don't feel bad, i just don't give a fuck what other people think today of me or how i response to them, but the important thing here is then: Do you feel bad the next day that you say something wrong to people or you know thats just how you really think about this people (depends on what you did the last day ofc). But people always find something to feel bad about, it's also something how you deal with it or even how much inforamtion do you have about your actuall problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inner Universe View Post
    You can if you give it some effort. I don't like how society these days encourages people to rely on drugs to control their depression. We medicate for everything nowadays. People can learn to control their emotions, but it's not something you can do overnight. I feel like medication is far too often used as a crutch where self discipline and meditation should be. Only in the most extreme cases should medication be used to control emotions.

Of course that's only my opinion.
    I would have agreed with you if you'd asked me a month ago. I was refusing to even see anyone who might diagnose me with depression for a ton of reasons; unwanted dependence on medication, the maybe-delusion that enduring and surviving hardship makes you stronger, refusal of the 'crutch' that I would have to dispel unsavory things I might've said or done ("I was depressed!"). It was only when I was sick for the two weeks of Christmas and New Year's that I realized that if something was genuinely biologically wrong with my brain, it might be prudent to get it sorted out lest I spend the rest of my life under a lead blanket that does nothing but weigh me down.

Quote Originally Posted by W1shm4ster View Post
    Well, i can think you can controll them. Thats something you HAVE to learn early in life. You will meet people on your daily work who are just scumbags and you can't just punch/insult them or even refuse to work with them, thats some sort of controlling your emotions, but im one to talk i not even shed a tear when i saw my dead grandma or my mom getting into hospital. I have strange emotions anyway, i rather shed manly tears to epic moments, or some typical "happy end" stuff. Controlling your emotions is in my opinion something really important in life, it can sometimes safe you doing stupid things you might regret afterwards.
    I have--pardon me--a pretty large capacity for compassion. I use that and understanding as a tool to temper my emotions; maybe the slowpoke ahead of me on the road is just driving slower so he doesn't crash while he's looking for a map, maybe that grumpy person at work was just having a bad day. The world I interact with is full of reasons I cannot see or discern, and I would not will myself to get angry, not for reasons I don't understand, but reasons I don't even know and maybe can't even imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    Out of sheer curiosity what do you rate my OC Blue?
    http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...rm-d57ui84.png
    Just remember: You asked for it. *Way* too much blue, eyes don't pop because they're also blue (this is personal preference, but generally you want one or two features on your OC to 'pop'; for example, Twi is predominantly purple, yes, but she also has striking mane highlights). Yellow fetlocks are distracting (do you really want the most attention-grabbing part of you to be your feet?). I also encourage people to come up with their own hairstyles instead of pirating them from show ponies, but that's not as important.

But the food you eat, the music you listen to, everything you partake of? Does that not influence those hormones in turn? Some of the chemicals your body uses can only be produced with certain nutrients, right? So what you take in influences how your body acts. I can eat a piece of chocolate and feel temporarily happier.

I know where you're coming from and I agree, to a point, but my issue is that if all we are is slaves to our hormones (and, perhaps, instincts), then we might as well be wild animals and I should just give up all of my non-survival-related endeavors right now. Yes, our biology dictates how we feel. We dictate how we deal with it. Same way you can't dictate your circumstances in life, but you can dictate how you deal with them. It's not absolute and there's no lines, at least the way I see it. So perhaps "controlling one's emotions" is just a poor way to say "having willpower and the mental fortitude strong enough to combat emotions if needed".

Deleted

[video=youtube;RYb6qKnE5xA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYb6qKnE5xA[video]

It doesn't look... real.
    Maybe if they moved from side to side or something, also animated textures doesn't mean audio :|

15+ Year Old Account
    Just remember: You asked for it. *Way* too much blue, eyes don't pop because they're also blue (this is personal preference, but generally you want one or two features on your OC to 'pop'; for example, Twi is predominantly purple, yes, but she also has striking mane highlights). Yellow fetlocks are distracting (do you really want the most attention-grabbing part of you to be your feet?). I also encourage people to come up with their own hairstyles instead of pirating them from show ponies, but that's not as important.
    Points taken all i can say is i like blue and on the mane i dont know if i copied one from the show i just picked ones in the creator that i though looked nice.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 12:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yakobo15 View Post
    It doesn't look... real.
    Maybe if they moved from side to side or something, also animated textures doesn't mean audio :|
    i remember the yogscast showing something like this in one of their videos so it may actually be real.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

10+ Year Old Account
    ...my left analog stick just died...

Deleted
    But the food you eat, the music you listen to, everything you partake of? Does that not influence those hormones in turn? Some of the chemicals your body uses can only be produced with certain nutrients, right? So what you take in influences how your body acts. I can eat a piece of chocolate and feel temporarily happier.

I know where you're coming from and I agree, to a point, but my issue is that if all we are is slaves to our hormones (and, perhaps, instincts), then we might as well be wild animals and I should just give up all of my non-survival-related endeavors right now. Yes, our biology dictates how we feel. We dictate how we deal with it. Same way you can't dictate your circumstances in life, but you can dictate how you deal with them. It's not absolute and there's no lines, at least the way I see it. So perhaps "controlling one's emotions" is just a poor way to say "having willpower and the mental fortitude strong enough to counteract emotions if needed".
    Of course you can manipulate how you feel with external influences. Let's take an extreme example: cocaine. Snort a line, instant dopamine flood for your brain, your reward center gets overwhelmed with good feeling. You will feel great, if only temporary. Chocolate does the same thing with your receptors but on a lighter scale. So do medical drugs for treating depression patients, because from a medical point of view a depression is more usually caused by malfunctioning dopamine production or receptors. All these happy pills do is give you an external push.

Don't get me wrong. As a society we are absolutely, fully and totally dependent on every individual keeping their emotions in line. It doesn't work otherwise. If I have a bad day I can't just go around and club people with a tire iron even if I really want to. Society doesn't work when we behave like that. But that is exactly what I meant: as a society we expect certain things from our members (like, not clubbing people with tire irons). That is the reason why you don't go around doing that, even if you totally feel like it. That is where your willpower comes into the play. Doesn't change the fact that the chemicals in your brain might really want you to do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have--pardon me--a pretty large capacity for compassion. I use that and understanding as a tool to temper my emotions; maybe the slowpoke ahead of me on the road is just driving slower so he doesn't crash while he's looking for a map, maybe that grumpy person at work was just having a bad day. The world I interact with is full of reasons I cannot see or discern, and I would not will myself to get angry, not for reasons I don't understand, but reasons I don't even know and maybe can't even imagine.
    It's not about forceing yourself to get angry, you will sometimes meet people which you just can't stand, even when they did nothing wrong, you just don't like them and maybe also just starts "hateing" on everything they do, even when it's just something they enjoy. Sometimes it's just the thing, that you can't see the situation of the persons point of view which you don't like and if you would do that, you may wouldn't hate his/her doing since it is the normal way they do it or would've reacted to it (if youre a person with enough tolerance ofc). I think, if you would manage it this way and do it on more actions of this person, youre maybe able to change your emotions towards this person and i think you could say it's some sort of control at this point if some emotions just stop popping out when you look at this person.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffer View Post
    I went to one a couple of times over the last 12 months. It's not that bad, although I've had some of my fears confirmed. Don't know what you'd be told though.
    Really? That's a bit alarming.

As for me I'm pretty sure they would complain about how boring a case I am.

It is lunch time and I

forgot the sandwich I made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course you can manipulate how you feel with external influences. Let's take an extreme example: cocaine. Snort a line, instant dopamine flood for your brain, your reward center gets overwhelmed with good feeling. You will feel great, if only temporary. Chocolate does the same thing with your receptors but on a lighter scale. So do medical drugs for treating depression patients, because from a medical point of view a depression is more usually caused by malfunctioning dopamine production or receptors. All these happy pills do is give you an external push.

Don't get me wrong. As a society we are absolutely, fully and totally dependent on every individual keeping their emotions in line. It doesn't work otherwise. If I have a bad day I can't just go around and club people with a tire iron even if I really want to. Society doesn't work when we behave like that. But that is exactly what I meant: as a society we expect certain things from our members (like, not clubbing people with tire irons). That is the reason why you don't go around doing that, even if you totally feel like it. That is where your willpower comes into the play. Doesn't change the fact that the chemicals in your brain might really want you to do that.
    So we aren't "slaves" in the fullest sense of the word, then, because we can combat the "master's" word and, if we're strong enough, choose to ignore it.

Call me a chicken (not Scootaloo), but I think we're just talking in circles now.

Quote Originally Posted by W1shm4ster View Post
    It's not about forceing yourself to get angry, you will sometimes meet people which you just can't stand, even when they did nothing wrong, you just don't like them and maybe also just starts "hateing" on everything they do, even when it's just something they enjoy. Sometimes it's just the thing, that you can't see the situation of the persons point of view which you don't like and if you would do that, you may wouldn't hate his/her doing since it is the normal way they do it or would've reacted to it (if youre a person with enough tolerance ofc). I think, if you would manage it this way and do it on more actions of this person, youre maybe able to change your emotions towards this person and i think you could say it's some sort of control at this point if some emotions just stop popping out when you look at this person.
    Oh, I have people I dislike and maybe hate, sure, but even so, most of the time it's strictly because they have habits or a personality that annoys the crap out of me. Doesn't change the fact that they're still human beings with their own thoughts, feelings, emotions, history.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

15+ Year Old Account
    Obligatory page 1000 post go!

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

10+ Year Old Account
    Obligatory page 1000 post. I'll post what I have done so far, I'm probably going to be interrupted by dinner soon.

Still working on shading the upper half. Almost forgot that I have a bunch of special effects going on up there; I don't think this qualifies as a doodle anymore even if I copped out on the lineart.

Quote Originally Posted by solazz View Post
    Really? That's a bit alarming.

As for me I'm pretty sure they would complain about how boring a case I am.

It is lunch time and I

forgot the sandwich I made.
    There are usually no boring cases.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866