Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why are hackers ruining gaming?

I've really been debating something recently: Going back to single player games. I really dont want to...I enjoy playing online games with friends, or people that I dont even know. I like games like wow, arma 2 mods, even some online console games like phantasy star online. I enjoy playing the games. But it seems most gamers anymore only want to do one thing: ruin the game for everyone else, for no other reason. They arent mad at anyone, they got enough hugs from mommy and daddy didnt touch their no nos when they were a kid, they arent satan worshipers... they just enjoy ruining the experience for everyone else. I dont get it, and I dont care to, im just getting tired of it.
    Back a few years ago, id see a few bots in wow now and then. Now I see them in almost every BG I go into. I hop on dayz, and get shot in the head through 3 walls and a mountain. Fuck dude, I tried to play mario kart wii online with my little brother, and EVERY race we entered had at least one hacker in it, making it unplayable. Mario. Kart. My little brother says: "How can you suck so bad at video games that you have to hack in mario kart to win?". I tried to explain to him that some people just enjoy ruining other peoples fun. He didnt get it. He said "Well then they shouldnt be allowed to play". While I agreed, I started looking up hacking sites. Browsing forums, checking stuff out, seeing their side of the story.
    Well as it turns out, hackers/glitchers/dupers dont have a side. They dont even have a story. Some people dont even play the games they buy, they only hack in multiplayer modes. Why? Because they like it.
    Now gaming devs have to hire more people, devote more money resources, just put anti hacking/cheating stuff in, giving them less time, money and resources to ACTUALLY MAKE THE GAME. Personally, I think game companies should have the legal right to pursue people ruining the games they create. Im not saying jail time, but fines and maybe even personal internet bans like hackers get when they hack into the FBI or something. The company is losing money, the people who pay for the game are losing money on an unplayable product, hackers and cheaters are actually creating a lose/lose atmosphere in gaming.

But hey, maybe theres a reason. I know theres hackers/botters/dupers on this forum. Maybe you can tell me why you do the things you do. And im not talking about the people hacking/cheating then reporting it to game companies and not continuing the same hack. Im talking about the people who do it just to ruin the game for others.

IS there a reason? Its been bugging me for a while now, but recently my mom called me about my little brother. He got in trouble in school last week for shoving a kid into a wall. Why'd he shove the kid? My little brother was talking about how "stupid" online cheaters are to a friend, when another kid openly admitted to hacking mario kart wii with homebrew (mistaaaaaake), just to mess with people, then proceeded to make fun of him for "whining". After the mini hacker bounced off the wall and ran away crying, id make a safe bet he wont be bragging about his online exploits anymore. Ill be picking my lil bro up after detention tomorrow for some mcdonalds. =P

10+ Year Old Account
    Title might want to be changed to be more accurate as it's a bit misleading.

OT: Day-z should be it's own game. I personally enjoy playing with others but it's always the community lately. People have become so pissy and self entitled and treat any multiplayer game like a single player. People are just not pleasant really. It's the whole internet and anonymity that makes acting like an asshole so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Title should be changed to "Fanbois ruin gaming".

Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't have a brain.

I dont get the title thing...hackers/cheaters are still gamers...or...they were at some point id think.

Really dont get the fanbois thing, must be out of the loop.

People are just assholes. That's how it is in real life and that's how it is online. No surprise there, really. I still find online gaming enjoyable because for me, the good parts often outweigh the bad parts. I don't understand why people do it, but I've just come to expect it and I deal with it if I can.

Strange that you would see this as them Trying to ruin others time in game. When it seems blatently obvious they do it for themselves, winning, greed (making money), boosting ratings or like gaining honor. Has nothing to do with ruining your time, has to do with cheating through their time to get as much out of it as possible.

The ruining your time is a side-effect that I doubt is their actual goal, yet they don't take your feelings into considersation - usually goes with a greedy asshat.
    Last edited by slime; 2013-01-23 at 06:19 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    fanboy are ruining gaming because they refuse to see obvious flaw in their favorite title and thus, do not contribute to the betterment of the game
    haters are ruining gaming because they refuse to quality in some title, only focussing what they percieve as flaw and spreading misinformation
    Entitled gamers are ruining gaming because they attack the very essence of gaming : risk or effort versus rewards. they want all the rewards for minimum effort
    Pirate are ruining PC gaming, forcing editor away to a far more lock and limited system, that only benefit constructer/developper, not the actual consumer

and probably much more.
    Fact of the matter is, the definition of gamers is too loose. you need to narrow it down to a particular behaviour you feel is damaging to your favorite hobby. Then the discussion can begin.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    1. People suck.
    2. Developers let their customers have too great an influence on the design process. They want to feel like their community is engaged and that lets them create a better product. But the fact of the matter is, consumers rarely know exactly what they want in a product. The result is that the game usually strays far from the original design goals.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Well, the closer i have been to hacking/cheating was writing megahit after the exe name of prince of persia or the trick to have endless resources in game like Age of Empires and such, or making me invulnerable in GTA to wreck those dammed NSA tanks over and over, so i dont think i can help you.

Also: People should read the OP before posting, since i'm the 9th post and alerady are people replying with no sense to what the OP said.
    Last edited by Crashdummy; 2013-01-23 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Fact of the matter is, the definition of gamers is too loose. you need to narrow it down to a particular behaviour you feel is damaging to your favorite hobby. Then the discussion can begin.
    He did. Did you not read his post?

There are games like GW2 which encourage people to work together and help each other (like going out of your way to ress someone) which makes for one of the best gaming communities I've ever been in.

Deleted
    I have no idea what hacker/cheater in a game like super mario kart gain from doing it. I mean, okay, they win, but how does it feel like winning when you know it was because you cheated? Are they able to lie to themselves? Do they gain some kind of perverted lust from trolling others? I dunno.
    I remember using cheats in single player games, and in 99.9% of the cases, the game would become boring within hours after turning on the cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    1. People suck.
    2. Developers let their customers have too great an influence on the design process. They want to feel like their community is engaged and that lets them create a better product. But the fact of the matter is, consumers rarely know exactly what they want in a product. The result is that the game usually strays far from the original design goals.
    That's basically inmates running the asylum. Ofc, devs should listen to the community, but they should see if the suggestions work with THEIR vision of the game, not the communities. If they add even half the stuff some herpaderp on the forum asks for, the whole thing will become a big clusterfuck in no time.

I'm not a cheater/hacker/botter, but I've played enough online games (both competitive and co-op) to know what makes them tick: they thrive on circumventing the system to gain advantages and make legitimate players 'rage' (if it's a competitive game). The fact that they can get away with this behavior is what fuels them, because they can't get away with doing such things in real life because the repercussions are much more severe. The most punishment they'll possibly receive in an online game is a banned account which they don't really care much about, especially nowadays with F2P booming.

TL;DR They enjoy being a dick online because they can't get away with it in real life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Changed title to be more specific.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosie View Post
    I'm not a cheater/hacker/botter, but I've played enough online games (both competitive and co-op) to know what makes them tick: they thrive on circumventing the system to gain advantages and make legitimate players 'rage' (if it's a competitive game). The fact that they can get away with this behavior is what fuels them, because they can't get away with doing such things in real life because the repercussions are much more severe. The most punishment they'll possibly receive in an online game is a banned account which they don't really care much about, especially nowadays with F2P booming.

TL;DR They enjoy being a dick online because they can't get away with it in real life.
    So we just have to add serious repercussions to cheating? I suggest thugsquads visiting them at home -.-

I presume a hacker has that feeling of being above everyone else, because they can do what they want. To me there is no point in even playing a game if you are going to hack it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    So we just have to add serious repercussions to cheating? I suggest thugsquads visiting them at home -.-
    Yeah it's not easily enforceable at the moment since we're still a part of the interwebs at its infancy, though thugsquads would be hilarious! They could make a TV show out of it like COPS and we get to watch them arrest cheaters in the act

Maybe something more reasonable I can forsee many years down the road is something along the lines of a unified system where every person has a singular internet identity which can allow for online 'criminal' record and demerits so there's some way of controlling people's behavior online. So for example, if you rack up enough demerits for cheating, you basically lose access to all online gaming until your record is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosie View Post
    Yeah it's not easily enforceable at the moment since we're still a part of the interwebs at its infancy, though thugsquads would be hilarious! They could make a TV show out of it like COPS and we get to watch them arrest cheaters in the act

Maybe something more reasonable I can forsee many years down the road is something along the lines of a unified system where every person has a singular internet identity which can allow for online 'criminal' record and demerits so there's some way of controlling people's behavior online. So for example, if you rack up enough demerits for cheating, you basically lose access to all online gaming until your record is clear.
    Until it becomes common knowledge on how to spoof/create those identities and the whole thing goes tits up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kram112 View Post
    I presume a hacker has that feeling of being above everyone else, because they can do what they want. To me there is no point in even playing a game if you are going to hack it.
    I'd assume the "point" is the same as anyone playing the game legit, for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlow View Post
    Until it becomes common knowledge on how to spoof/create those identities and the whole thing goes tits up.
    Well it's easy to say it won't work, but I believe S.Korea is already going in that direction with requiring your SIN to register for any online game. Spoofing/creating identities would be criminal and you'd have the law on your ass in no time.