Page 62 of 66 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
    1. Great sword is a great "run around the open world" wep and so is axe/axe. However, in dungeons the greatsword loses its strength greatly, you either have to cut HB off early to avoid dying and sure #3 is some good AoE damage, trust me I know I ran GS for the majority of my gameplay so far.
    2. Recently I switched to using the axe was going to do axe/axe (this was my original beta weekend build i loved so much) but again for dungeons you don't gain enough from the offhand axe to make it a great tool, if you just used the #1 skill for the duration of the #5 you'll end up doing more damage, so really the #5 is only worth using for hitting things behind you and for destroying objects like burrows.
    3. The axe main hand has a really fast attack speed (you can end the third attacks channel to start the chain over dealing more damage) and the Axe actually hits harder than the GS #1, just because the GS is scaled for the vulnerability it causes so you "may" see higher numbers from it after the first couple combos, however the axe will deal a flat amount all the time you don't need to keep hitting to deal more damage and you'll be attacking faster.
    4. That being said I do love the GS and wish it had more valuable skills for dungeons. Not just the ability to get back to the fight really fast after I die.
    5. But that leaves the off hand selection, again in dungeons I like to look for things that help the group where I can become a valued member of the team instead of just another stereo typed warrior (oh he uses axe most be a glass cannon). In my structured group we run 2 guardians 2 warriors and a mesmer, 1 guardian uses hammer the other uses GS and they are obviously tank specd.
    6. That allows us warriors to go full DPS 3400+ attack 93% crit chance 104 crit damage that whole deal, and we run Axe/mace this gives us both really high damage, 12% uptime of 8 stacks of vulnerability (the GS auto attack tops out at 8 and with both of us running this its a 40% uptime iirc) and a skill that removes defiance from bosses which really helps the group.
    7. When I work with PuGs however I run a really tanky DPS spec, favoring Axe/shield (this set up is also really fun in WvW) this build i hit 3068 attack 3189 armor (until I can get either ascended or exotic Cavalier stated trinkets) 70-83% crit chance (if my sigil hits max stacks it usually does) and 83% crit damage. switching to tankier traits and armor + the shield skills makes me really tanky, while still dealing enough damage and still having skills that help the group, i.e. shield #4 and 5.
    1. You need to time HB so you won't have to cut it off, most dangerous/one shot mechanics have long cast times (or coordinate your guardians to pop Aegis)
    2. This is mostly true however it's a great Combo Finisher aswell.
    3. The goal is to hit as much as possible, if you combine it with point 1 you can actually say GS>Axe because you're "chaining" HB's
    4. The big AoE burst is great, GS doesn't aim for utility it's utilitity lies in it's power/dmg
    5. Your offhands are all lackluster to buff, warhorn is OK but you'd be better off with a mace for vulnerability and using shouts/banners to buff (on another note why are guardians obviously tank spec'd?)
    6. You can use axe/mace+GS to be a real glasscanon (also do you count fury/banners to get 93%crit? Can you please link your toons gear/build?)
    7. Shield doesn't help your group at all, also going more tanky in pugs shouldn't matter since your skill/ability to dodge doesn't deminish by joining a pug.

Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQRApX3OAA
    Can you please add traits and runes to this build. I want to try it out.
    It's been a while since I pvp'd on my war but I think it was something like this http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQRAp...uck5sgYkxWkJHA (you can change to more defensive runes if you want, I simply focus on power since it works really well with the 100% crit chance)

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    While leveling, gather everything you can. The experience adds up. Plus if you do some crafting that can add xp as well.
    Do not craft at low levels!
    Maxing a prof gives you (roughly) 10lvls regardless of what level you're at so let's say take two ends of the spectrum:
    a: you are lvl 1 and are now boosting your crafting to lvl 400 and 400 => you are now lvl 21 (ish)
    b: you are lvl 60 and are now boosting your crafting to lvl 400 and 400 => you are now lvl 80
    Clearly option b is prefered since doing hearts/events/... gets harder the higher your lvl is.
    Last edited by Meledelion; 2012-12-16 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Do not craft at low levels!
    Maxing a prof gives you (roughly) 10lvls regardless of what level you're at so let's say take two ends of the spectrum:
    a: you are lvl 1 and are now boosting your crafting to lvl 400 and 400 => you are now lvl 21 (ish)
    b: you are lvl 60 and are now boosting your crafting to lvl 400 and 400 => you are now lvl 80
    Clearly option b is prefered since doing hearts/events/... gets harder the higher your lvl is.
    While this may be important to someone focused on squeezing every last drop of exp out of their character's leveling, it's not a hard-and-fast rule. People can play as they like. I crafted throughout the entirety of my leveling process and don't at all regret doing so.

Also, you'll be finding crafting mats appropriate to your level of crafting as you move between zones, so you have the option of using them for personal progress, rather than being limited to banking or selling them.

When someone asks how to lvl I interpret it as how do I lvl the most efficient since I'm pretty sure everyone knows you can go do starting areas of other races if you just want to lvl.

You also have a bank for a reason, you might aswell use it imo.

When someone asks how to lvl I interpret it as how do I lvl the most efficient since I'm pretty sure everyone knows you can go do starting areas of other races if you just want to lvl.
    Perfectly understandable; we all interpret questions differently, nothing wrong with that. I just like to let people know that, if other options are available, they aren't pigeon-holed into doing things a certain way because it's the "proper" or "best" way to do it.

Freedom of choice ftw!

Need some advice:

my warrior has all "knight's" crafted armor and both 1h swords. I'm using the runes of undead, that favor condition damage, as i want to max out my condition dmg from the swords. I love this playstyle. It may not be the "best" according to theory crafters, but I like it.

My question is this: i am really comfortable with using a rifle as my secondary. It works in PvP, but i don't do much pvE and I want to. What should I use as my secondary for dungeons?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by dante View Post
    My question is this: i am really comfortable with using a rifle as my secondary. It works in PvP, but i don't do much pvE and I want to. What should I use as my secondary for dungeons?

Thank you
    Your rifle is perfectly viable in dungeons. However, you may want to use something else if you want to do AoE damage or focus on controlling enemies. What exactly do you want your role to be in dungeons? Damage? Control? Support? Mixed?

Where are all the Warrior's at?!

Unfortunately I'm in the middle of a GW2 dry spell (not without good reason, of course :P) so I have nothing new to say about my Warrior other than letting you all know he's pretty bad-ass.

But let's spark some discussion here! How go the adventures of my fellow Brutes?

Developed two new trait builds recently that I've been having a lot of fun with. I posted one of them in my sample traits guide on these forums (I'm keeping the other my own personal secret...mwahahaha).

Other than that, workin' on the legendary.

Deleted
    I just started PvEing on mine, been 100% tPvP before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Arajal View Post
    But when those effects cause a good chunk of damage, well...

Sigils of Air and Sigils of Fire say hi.
    Are those sigils a common tactic among warriors? I always assumed they went for something like Bloodlust.

I'm really curious now because I think a build centered around proccing sigils (if they're powerful enough) could be really fun. I had an Amazon in D2 with almost all 'chance to proc' gear and it was not only an effective build, but a lot of fun watching all those extra spells go off all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Are those sigils a common tactic among warriors? I always assumed they went for something like Bloodlust.

I'm really curious now because I think a build centered around proccing sigils (if they're powerful enough) could be really fun. I had an Amazon in D2 with almost all 'chance to proc' gear and it was not only an effective build, but a lot of fun watching all those extra spells go off all the time.
    They're a common line for all dps specs. Simple reason being there aren't enough ways of dealing extra damage from somewhere else.

It does depend on a couple of things though.
    => Is it a weapon for a specific dungeon (cof with +10 vs flame legion) since then it's not worth it
    => Is it for quick fights or long fights (on long fights 2k dmg is very little (air proc) in comparison to for instance +5% dmg)
    => Do I dual wield or not, in general +5/10% dmg is better since it scales really well with power/crit dmg so those are a better alternative

People who min/max won't be running around with sigils of air or fire. Usually +x%dmg works out better. Some classes/builds can use stuff like "of strength" or "of blood". Do note that neither of does will increase your dps as much as "force"
    The best "on crit" sigil is probably fire since it does 700dmg to all foes which is pretty amasing on "non-aoe" weapons.

For reference I did the math:
    +5% dmg sigil(force) makes my skills hit for about 150more dmg (full berserker/glass build) Lightning strike (sigil of air) does about 1.2k dmg. So it takes me 8hits to do that dmg with force.
    Air has an internal cd while force doesn't. Meaning that if it "procs" 3swings in a row only 1 will count. The chance of this happening goes up the faster you attack meaning that "haste" makes force even better.
    If you consider "fast attacks" like flurry or oh axe 5, the same principal is important.

TLDR: air/fire/... are used a lot but hardly ever are "bis", especially air and fire.

I run air on my rifle and fire on my greatsword to play to their strengths (single-target and AoE, respectively). Much as Meledelion explained, they're not the best for DPS, but they do have a place. I primarily got them for the cool effects and the straight damage boost they provide, but if I cared about min-maxing as much in this game as I did in WoW, I'd have likely gone for something like Force or Bloodlust.

I run air on my rifle and fire on my greatsword to play to their strengths (single-target and AoE, respectively). Much as Meledelion explained, they're not the best for DPS, but they do have a place. I primarily got them for the cool effects and the straight damage boost they provide, but if I cared about min-maxing as much in this game as I did in WoW, I'd have likely gone for something like Force or Bloodlust.
    Get another weapon put BL on it, switch to your real weapon when at 25stacks

Yeah yeah, I know about that trick. But again, I don't min-max in GW2.

I mostly just do outside world stuff like map completion and DEs. Whenever I do get around to dungeons it'll probably just be to see the story parts and maybe grind out any vanity gear that catches my eye, so nothing too serious. I think my warrior's still wearing level 80 "berserker" greens. :P

Get another weapon put BL on it, switch to your real weapon when at 25stacks
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

For high crit chance builds, (those that have 75-80%) Proc sigils like fire and lightning do deal a bit of extra damage.
    However, it can heavily depends on your set up and what your build is trying to do. I have found a nice combo in chance to add vul, and chance to add might. with other factors you can keep 15 self stacks of might and 15 vul on the target, not bad for solo play.

My common build though only runs 65 crit chance, so i run the 5% more crit chance and bloodlust, if 10 stacks can be maintained it will out damage what you would gain from fire (minus the AoE but everything on a warrior hits multiple things except the rifle) and if 22 stacks can be maintianed youll out damage what would be gained form lightning. Its based on how good you are at surviving sure and you have to build up to it sure. but once there it is a constant not a variable.
    Plz show me your spreadsheets.
    5. You think critting for 5k is awesome, I normal hit for 7.4k with autoattacks.
    Some people are too pro.

I have a fun little glass build I use here and there focused around maintaining a capped stack of 25 might for as long as possible as often as possible. When everything's up and running, I get a good amount of use from my fire sigil, with the 62% or so crit chance proc'ing it all over the place. It's especially fun using Whirling Blade into a large group of squishy targets (e.g. risen Asura gauntlet in CoE) and seeing them all burn in explosions of fiery death every few seconds.

Unfortunately, I am fairly squishy myself in said build.

Quote Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
    For high crit chance builds, (those that have 75-80%)

My common build though only runs 65 crit chance, so i run the 5% more crit chance and bloodlust.
    Is this with or without fury?

I have a fun little glass build I use here and there focused around maintaining a capped stack of 25 might for as long as possible as often as possible. When everything's up and running, I get a good amount of use from my fire sigil, with the 62% or so crit chance proc'ing it all over the place. It's especially fun using Whirling Blade into a large group of squishy targets (e.g. risen Asura gauntlet in CoE) and seeing them all burn in explosions of fiery death every few seconds.

Unfortunately, I am fairly squishy myself in said build.
    As I said previously, this is wrong. You'll do more damage with "force". If HB does 25k dmg, adding force would mean you now do 1250dmg more while fire only does something around 600-700dmg.

As I said previously, this is wrong. You'll do more damage with "force". If HB does 25k dmg, adding force would mean you now do 1250dmg more while fire only does something around 600-700dmg.
    It's not wrong if I'm not min-maxing (I have already stated that I am not doing such in GW2). I know Sigil of Force is the best option for DPS, but I don't use it because flat increases to damage are boring. Causing mobs to explode in a fiery hellstorm is far more entertaining than seeing (somewhat) bigger numbers.

I know you said it before but if people read your second comment alone they might get the impression that you say fire>= force, which is why I had to state it again.

(And yea massive exploding fire circles are fun to watch )