10+ Year Old Account
    Then there was the nice lil' bomb when anonymous sources began leaking details about the kind of 'guidelines' nVidia provided after the voltage control lockdown happened, etc. Not being allowed to use the GK104 chips to make a single product superior to the GTX 690 and all.

Is that even legal?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Is that even legal?
    Legal? It's a legally bound agreement. "You want to manufacture products that use our GPUs? Well, sign here."

10+ Year Old Account
    edit: Oh look, HardOCP just published an article reflecting my exact views on nVidia lol...
    These quotes especially: http://hardocp.com/article/2013/01/2...mance_review/6

Grady's Thoughts

The biggest thing that stood out to me during 2012 was NVIDIA's consistency of releasing a new driver when big name games were being launched. While we do not have the data here to show the performance changes of AMD's video cards, it was clear that NVIDIA was on top of its game with fixing bugs, adding necessary profiles to the driver software for games to run correctly.

From the day that the GeForce GTX 600 series was launched, the NVIDIA GPUs dominated the AMD video cards for an extensive period of time, not only because of better and newer hardware, but because of more advanced driver programming. There were a few months after the GeForce GTX 600 series launch where the AMD video cards were operating faster due to breakthroughs with AMD drivers. Eventually the NVIDIA drivers caught the hardware back up in gameplay performance. NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 600 series video cards with excellent driver software even outperformed AMD's GHz Edition video cards during the initial release and a few months thereafter. It was not until recently that the two companies drivers became close again in performance.

The biggest credit that I have to give NVIDIA is releasing drivers with popular named games. Time in and time out NVIDIA has a driver ready anytime something big is happening, and the profiles generally support every aspect of the game. When a GeForce driver is released for a new game, we can immediately expect to have SLI performance for multi-display gaming. AMD dropped the ball after releasing its HD 7000 series video cards back at the end of 2011. It took them a few months before they ever added any CrossFire support came out so customers could use multiple video cards without worrying about stability issues. We even let AMD know what it was doing wrong in our AMD CrossFireX Drivers - Opportunity Lost article. NVIDIA showed none of this negligence towards its customers this year, making them hands down the better company as far as delivering driver software this year.

Brent's Thoughts

I'll echo Grady's comments above, he's spot on about NVIDIA being on the ball when new top tier, and even non-top tier games have been released. We are always aware of an NVIDIA driver sometimes several days, or even a month, ahead of time ready to support the new game on day 1 release. In 2012, NVIDIA has a good record of this for single-card performance, and SLI performance in new games, on day 1. For the beginning part of 2012, AMD did fairly poorly when it came to CrossFire support, and we ranted about that quite a bit. I do think AMD got their act together in the second half of 2012, and did a much better job at providing driver releases on or before new game releases. There was a definite mark of improvement I saw, as 2012 progressed on the AMD side. We will map this out, and talk about that more in the AMD article.

As far as NVIDIA is concerned, we never had any major problems with drivers or performance that I can recall for 2012 in all the games that we have tested. If you look back, we performed a lot of gameplay performance and IQ reviews in games for 2012. Looking back, I count a total of 10 unique games that we performed performance and IQ testing in, and then consider our regular gaming suite we also used, as it evolved over time in 2012. In all of these games we looked at, we never had any trouble with any NVIDIA driver giving us major bugs, or a lack of SLI profile support, or any major issues that I can recall. We always had good performance when these game's launched, and the GTX 680 and 670 performed very well. It always seemed like the optimizations were already there, before we even started playing the game with the current driver out at the time. There were a lot of Beta driver releases that constantly added support for new games, and we kept up to date with those and always had a good gameplay experience throughout the year. As far as 2012 goes, the GTX 680 and GTX 670, and in turn GTX 660 Ti and GTX 660 have had great success, and a lot of that is due to the drivers support and optimizations in games. The GeForce GTX 600 series started off strong in 2012, and ended strong by the end of 2012, it was a good year for that series. Now we will see what happens in 2013, and follow up next year with a look back at this year.

I'm pretty mad at nVidia for locking down voltage like the way they did with 600 series, I hope they've learned their lesson. But when the 780 comes out I'll be buying it right away, regardless of whether it's locked or not...because I'm pretty much nVidia's bitch. They constantly keep partnering up with game studios and getting their drivers spot-on with new releases and that's what matters to me...not just performance, but shit working right out of the box. Before people dogpile me with "well nVidia have screwed up a lot" and "I've never had any issues with MY amd card!", my personal experiences are my personal experiences. The posts and comments I see around many other forums have pushed me further towards the green side over the last few years - it can't really be helped.
    AMD's stocks falling on a week-by-week basis (seriously, look it up) isn't helping them one bit. The recent benchmarks showing Dozer/Pile under a new light is too little too late, even the majority of builders have declared that Intel is king for gamers.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-01-24 at 04:21 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I'm using a Steelseries Qck and it is holding up well. I had a XTRAC Ripper before, and it was great.
    + 1 for the steelseries. I just picked one up and it is worlds different. I went with the Qck+. It is fairly thin, but it feels fairly sturdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Considering all the issues with nVidia drivers before and after the release of 600-series, I'm thinking they were quite isolated or very lucky or very oblivious.
    Or like every other tech site, biased.

I'm not saying AMD has had consistently good driver support, but at the time of the release of the 600-series, they were far and away ahead.
    (And I still have driver-failures at least weekly, near-daily.)

That said, I like my QcK as well. I would probably opt for a thicker one next time though. It's pretty basic and nothing special, but it's kind of hard to reinvent the wheel with a cloth mousepad.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I'm not saying AMD has had consistently good driver support, but at the time of the release of the 600-series, they were far and away ahead.
    This seems to vary a lot, I haven't had a single driver issue since I bought the GTX 670 at launch. Neither have my friends that did the same.

I had some horrible issues with my Radeon 5770 before but since I moved that to my girlfriends computer 7 months ago there hasn't been a single driver issue with that either.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    running quad SLI tends to bring out any driver issues rather quickly, and with the 590s and 200 series drivers, it always seemed like setting up drivers was like making a pyramid out of cards, it took a while to get working, and a mouse that sneezes across the room knocks it down, however, aside from some jitter issues with the initial drivers, my 690s have been perfectly stable, not a single issue, (in fact my system is so stable that i had to manually force an unstable clock just to see the cool new win8 BSOD)

personally i've never had any issues with AMD either, but i've never ran a multi GPU setup with radeons, when i built my 990x, i gave my 6870 to my friend, he runs it on a 2500k with another 6870, and has nothing but problems, on occasion i've gone over and he has ripped the second card out just because he is so frustrated with AMDs poor crossfire support, i almost feel bad for giving him the card

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhhh.

Last I checked, shouldn't customer service be able to tell me if I use a static or dynamic IP address?

All I got was a "I don't know, but do you have a wireless router?"
    "Yes I do"
    "Did you buy it at our store?"
    "No, it's too expensive"
    "Then we can't help you, please go to our store and buy a new wireless router"
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Go into your router config, look at the status page note down your external IP address. Turn the router off and unplug it for ~10-15 minutes, then turn it back on. You should be assigned a new external IP address if yours is dynamic.

Here in Germany it is even easier: Do you pay thousands of euros per year for your 1Mbit down connection? If no, it is dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Go into your router config, look at the status page note down your external IP address. Turn the router off and unplug it for ~10-15 minutes, then turn it back on. You should be assigned a new external IP address if yours is dynamic.
    This part varies a lot, I have a 24hr lease on my dynamic IP.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

15+ Year Old Account
    In most cases the IP is dynamic. If you aren't paying or otherwise specified that you want static you have dynamic. If you don't know which one it is it's probably dynamic. There was a thread about this some time ago and it was quite a lengthy topic actually. Lots of flaming and misinformation going around.

What's it to you anyway?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    In most cases the IP is dynamic. If you aren't paying or otherwise specified that you want static you have dynamic. If you don't know which one it is it's probably dynamic. There was a thread about this some time ago and it was quite a lengthy topic actually. Lots of flaming and misinformation going around.

What's it to you anyway?
    Inux's ISP is not normal, with the modem plugged directly into the computer he gets a private 192 address rather than a public IP, so i think his home router setup wizard doesn't understand what to do and he needs to manually set it up

Inux's ISP is not normal, with the modem plugged directly into the computer he gets a private 192 address rather than a public IP, so i think his home router setup wizard doesn't understand what to do and he needs to manually set it up
    I had something like that a long time ago, basically the modem acted as a single port router and there was no way of getting around it.

Who in the actual fuck uses private IP address range for public IPs? That's frigging ridiculous.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    AMD's stocks falling on a week-by-week basis (seriously, look it up) isn't helping them one bit. The recent benchmarks showing Dozer/Pile under a new light is too little too late, even the majority of builders have declared that Intel is king for gamers.
    If people weren't aware:

http://quotes.morningstar.com/stock/amd/s?t=AMD

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 07:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    You are using a 600 card, right?
    I must say I wonder about the driver-failures all the time for a lot of people. Personally my 560 Ti hasn't had a driver fail at all in the past few months at least, and it's been Folding on a daily basis for at least 12 hours each day of the past month. I really wonder what makes my computer so stable in that sense versus others. Is it the 600 series? Is it something more specific to certain peoples' computers? Tis odd.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    I had something like that a long time ago, basically the modem acted as a single port router and there was no way of getting around it.
    im not even sure its routing, i wonder if you can just hook up a switch, im guessing their DHCP server is so automated that they probably wouldn't even notice

and there is a way around it, but it's not the easiest thing to do on a home consumer router, you can to setup a 1net/2host custom subnet for between the routers, or differentiate your network by using 10.x or 172.16.x

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    If people weren't aware:

http://quotes.morningstar.com/stock/amd/s?t=AMD

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 07:50 PM ----------

You are using a 600 card, right?
    I must say I wonder about the driver-failures all the time for a lot of people. Personally my 560 Ti hasn't had a driver fail at all in the past few months at least, and it's been Folding on a daily basis for at least 12 hours each day of the past month. I really wonder what makes my computer so stable in that sense versus others. Is it the 600 series? Is it something more specific to certain peoples' computers? Tis odd.
    AMD went up by 2.2% today

I think I remember the 290 and early 300 drivers taking a dump on 500 series cards.

Just reached my monthly download limit. The upload test won't even complete...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/QpivivAl.jpg[/IM]

Just reached my monthly download limit. The upload test won't even complete...
    Mine just straight up cuts me off 100% if I hit my limit. Getting dialup when I hit it would be nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine goes from 8Mbps to 10Mbps when I hit my 50GB limit, because hey, $10/GB

im not even sure its routing, i wonder if you can just hook up a switch, im guessing their DHCP server is so automated that they probably wouldn't even notice

and there is a way around it, but it's not the easiest thing to do on a home consumer router, you can to setup a 1net/2host custom subnet for between the routers, or differentiate your network by using 10.x or 172.16.x
    Wouldn't the ISP notice? >.<
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory