Quote Originally Posted by indoordinosaur View Post
    Seriously? Where can I find this interview?
    Here you go. I think they talk about it somewhere in the middle, but I suggest listening through it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenofreak View Post
    Except it doesn't make sense. In what war are people respectful of territorial boundaries? In what war are there not spies or soldiers that get sent behind enemy lines to disrupt supply chains and command?
    I think you missed what I said, specifically this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    there have been plenty of missions in Elder Scrolls where you have to go and spy on a enemy undetected I am sure there will be plenty of these missions around so that you can see areas, maybe even phased instances for a quest (Think Wrathgate from WoW)
    By this I meant quests where you go in to sabotage or spy on the enemy.
    Last edited by Lyriok; 2013-01-24 at 10:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Sounds like youre just a cheapskate. I would hope that TESO has a sub fee to keep a lot of the kids and griefers away. Any time a game has no barrier to entry other than a one time fee it attracts lots more idiots than games with a sub as people dont want to waste their money getting banned.
    Yes, this is patently true. I remember I was playing catch and seek in my childhood and the quality of the game was good once we insisted everyone to pay a dollar to join our social club.

There's tons of games without subs who are doing just fine without "idiots" (whatever that word exactly means) and there's equally tons of games with subs which have "idiots". The balance between this... who knows? Your argument stems from the theory that if one pays for something, they're valuable or intelligent whereas if one doesn't they're worthless. It is a laughable stance. If you were to prove your statement you'd need to define what exactly "idiots" means and you'd have to somehow measure this in various games on various environments. The burden of proof lies in your hands though.

Moreover I know tons and tons of games which don't have a sub and with intelligent, good players. If I were to go play chess or Scrabble with a friend we'd both fall under such category. Another example for me is GW2. The hatred for a game like WoW is strong there, but other than that I have little to no quibble with the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Sounds like youre just a cheapskate. I would hope that TESO has a sub fee to keep a lot of the kids and griefers away. Any time a game has no barrier to entry other than a one time fee it attracts lots more idiots than games with a sub as people dont want to waste their money getting banned.
    Because WoW, SWTOR and Rift have kept out the "kids and griefers"? Most F2P games attract that crowd initially, but they quickly leave as they're generally not the type to stay around. You end up with roughly equal amounts in the long-run in both F2P and subscription based games.

And I don't know anyone that invests hundreds of hours into a game and doesn't care about their account. Sure you can create another in a F2P game, but you'll have to reinvest all that time to get back to where you were.

Considering ZOS had a budget of $300 million to make ESO, it's a pretty safe bet that it's not going to be free to play.

The only lucrative options would be Buy to play or pay to play. I would honestly be surprised if it's not subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    the locked zones doesn't bother me too much if im honest. it would be cool to have some quests that require you to enter other factions zones for some sabotaging or spying or what ever, but at least this will stop less populated factions areas getting camped.

also, how will levels work on this game? as on skyrim the world scales with you, im guessing it wont do that in the mmo, so will there be different leveled zones, raids, dungeons ect?
    Don't see why the level cannot scale with you, its done in guild wars 2 fairly well. (ok some abilities just have such high base damage, due to the level you get them at, that yes you can become way over powered in low level zones, but it still makes it fairly decent challenge)

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbycat View Post
    Considering ZOS had a budget of $300 million to make ESO, it's a pretty safe bet that it's not going to be free to play.

The only lucrative options would be Buy to play or pay to play. I would honestly be surprised if it's not subscription.
    Not all of that is going towards the game.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/35...00M-Investment

Original article from 07. So a portion of that money (probably a majority) is going to fund the game, but we don't know how much.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    And I don't know anyone that invests hundreds of hours into a game and doesn't care about their account. Sure you can create another in a F2P game, but you'll have to reinvest all that time to get back to where you were.
    This reason is quite possibly one of the biggest difficulties new MMOS face, the amount of sentimental value increases greatly over time making it difficult to obtain numbers.

Other games have had that budget if I am not mistaken, and they have been B2p. I think it would be safe to say this game will be buy to play ie like a normal game, having a sub fee would be such a huge risk to take with that big an investment. (then again it would have to sale twice as much as guild wars 2 to break even)

This reason is quite possibly one of the biggest difficulties new MMOS face, the amount of sentimental value increases greatly over time.
    It's quite possible to play multiple games at once as well. I've got several MMO's I've invested dozens, if not hundreds of hours into. Am I overly attached to them? Not particularly. Would I like to see my accounts banned/deleted? Absolutely not.

If you stick with a single game though and quite it for another, you're correct though. It's one of the things that keeps WoW so strong. It's got so much inertia going for it.

This reason is quite possibly one of the biggest difficulties new MMOS face, the amount of sentimental value increases greatly over time making it difficult to obtain numbers.
    I think ESO probably has quite a few TES fans (like myself) that will at least try it out just because it is Elder Scrolls. If it feels like Elder Scrolls, we will stick with it for the long haul.

I will say they are really smart for having their theme song (first link in my sig) be so familiar to us. It brings back memories of playing the single player games. You just automatically know the song when you hear it.

Deleted
    Man, I hope we'll be able to avoid the usual wave of "This game will kill WoW!"

Let me just say, No. No, this game will not kill WoW.

Nothing will kill WoW except WoW itself. Weither that happens in two, twenty or two thousand years I can't and won't try to predict 'cause I don't have any magic 8-balls around. One thing I CAN predict is those guys WILL appear sooner or later, and they'll just turn everything into flamebait.

Will ESO become a succesfull MMO? Hopefully. Will it be a great deliverer of narrative and story aswell as interresting game aspects? Fingers crossed! Will it have the amazing TES feel while allowing you to experience a wonderful and historical world with your friends? We can only pray for it.

Will it kill WoW? NO! The only thing it'll kill will be if you use the hardcopy to swat a fly. But that's not a BAD thing, hell, the less overhype about the game the better. It will not, and should not, kill anything. And let's be happy on behalf of the gaming community for that, because then we all benefit.

- I've made this post due to seeing two threads tonight spring up about it. Let's NOT do that.

-- Kasp.

I've already seen a few "this will kill WoW" threads. I'm all for making Blizz nervous if it helps them make a better WoW game. But I think at this point everyone knows that the only one who will cause the death of WoW is Blizz themselves.

Deleted
    I've already seen a few "this will kill WoW" threads. I'm all for making Blizz nervous if it helps them make a better WoW game. But I think at this point everyone knows that the only one who will cause the death of WoW is Blizz themselves.
    How were the previous MMORPG market dominators "killed"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasperio View Post
    Man, I hope we'll be able to avoid the usual wave of "This game will kill WoW!"

Let me just say, No. No, this game will not kill WoW.

Nothing will kill WoW except WoW itself. Weither that happens in two, twenty or two thousand years I can't and won't try to predict 'cause I don't have any magic 8-balls around. One thing I CAN predict is those guys WILL appear sooner or later, and they'll just turn everything into flamebait.

Will ESO become a succesfull MMO? Hopefully. Will it be a great deliverer of narrative and story aswell as interresting game aspects? Fingers crossed! Will it have the amazing TES feel while allowing you to experience a wonderful and historical world with your friends? We can only pray for it.

Will it kill WoW? NO! The only thing it'll kill will be if you use the hardcopy to swat a fly. But that's not a BAD thing, hell, the less overhype about the game the better. It will not, and should not, kill anything. And let's be happy on behalf of the gaming community for that, because then we all benefit.

- I've made this post due to seeing two threads tonight spring up about it. Let's NOT do that.

-- Kasp.
    Even though I agree that this won't be a wow killer, but the chances are there. I mean, why not? WoW right now is... Well. On second thought, I'll stop right there to avoid a holywar.

Nobody is seriously waiting for ESO to kill WoW. ESO will have its own playerbase, like GW2, SWTOR, and it will stick to that. No need to touch that... That... WoW.

I didn't like my first application so I made a new one and I got excellent on the bar meter but no confirmation email. Is there a chance they will base it off my 2nd application and still give me a email for the second one.

Deleted
    I do hope that the band of "this will kill wow" idiots stay away from this game.
    We don't want you here.
    Please stay in those game that killed wow.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    It's quite possible to play multiple games at once as well. I've got several MMO's I've invested dozens, if not hundreds of hours into. Am I overly attached to them? Not particularly. Would I like to see my accounts banned/deleted? Absolutely not.

If you stick with a single game though and quite it for another, you're correct though. It's one of the things that keeps WoW so strong. It's got so much inertia going for it.
    It is completely possible. But that doesn't matter. Feels like the MAJORITY of MMORPG players will only play 1 game. And for some god awful reason, it's WoW. And if they aren't playing WoW, then most just quit the whole genre. Is that true? Partially. At least the first part (playing only 1 MMORPG) is mostly true. 2nd part, feels true. Emphasis on FEELS.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    How were the previous MMORPG market dominators "killed"?
    Most likely by their developers or publishers. The only one I know of that was "killed" recently was CoH.

By this I meant quests where you go in to sabotage or spy on the enemy.
    There is no information that would imply this. The only information we have says that players of one faction will be unable to go to areas of another faction.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15