Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Quantum suicide and immortality

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Quantum_suicide

Is it real? I don't really know how to inteprete it, does it mean I will exist forever? Is there any evidence backing it up?

I suppose it's true that you'll either live or you won't know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by AcrobaticMegalodon View Post

Is it real? I don't really know how to inteprete it, does it mean I will exist forever? Is there any evidence backing it up?
    From your own link
    Generally speaking, this is not a serious theory of immortality — rather, it is an attempt to explore some of the difficulties posed by the many-worlds interpretation. It can even be viewed as an attempt at a reductio ad absurdum against many-worlds. For obvious reasons, it is neither verifiable nor falsifiable.
    Its an interesting idea and gives insight to the wierdness of Quantum Mechanics but dont look to far into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Quantum_suicide

Sounds to me like an experiment I don't want to try.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Wow, that's a serious thought experiment?

I thought about it in exactly the same way and posted it not so long ago on MMO. I have to admit that I didn't believe myself enough to actually try it ^^

I should become a scientist, though....

10+ Year Old Account
    The key phrase from the topic sentence is: thought experiment.

Well there goes getting any sleep tonight. Reading that was like watching The Matrix before bed.

Deleted
    I'm really scared now lol I almost feel like I'm having a panic attack... I cant get this thing out of my mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really scared now lol I almost feel like I'm having a panic attack... I cant get this thing out of my mind.
    Why would this frighten you?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Sounds to me like an experiment I don't want to try.
    Thought-experiments are always safe. You're merely thinking about them; not actually performing them. Shrödinger's Cat was never a real experiment; it was a thought experiment.

As to the OP: No, you wouldn't. Even if the many-world hypothesis is 'correct,' those many worlds exists solely hypothetically. Meaning that there will not actually be many realities; there will not actually be a diversion... There will only be an unformed potential for different reality-outcomes. Therefore, any alternative reality created does not in fact exist, but on exists in potentia.
    That means you'll be dead, but immortal in potentia.

Its trying to extend the Schrodingers Cat theory to yourself. The fact that the cat is both alive and dead relies on the fact that the observer cant see the cat and only has a probability that its dead or alive. The cat knows when it dies.

So from the outside you might seem partially immortal but inside you will experience death when the atom decays and kills you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Why would this frighten you?
    Because doesn't it mean I will live forever?

Deleted
    I wonder how many times and ways I've died in other worlds.
    I bet in some world I died because a mutant lizard cat decided to kidnap me and clone me. and the cloning went wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by teh piemore View Post
    Well there goes getting any sleep tonight. Reading that was like watching The Matrix before bed.
    It wasn't that hard, nor is the concept. I rather find it a boring concept...but to each their own.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Thought-experiments are always safe. You're merely thinking about them; not actually performing them. Shrödinger's Cat was never a real experiment; it was a thought experiment.

As to the OP: No, you wouldn't. Even if the many-world hypothesis is 'correct,' those many worlds exists solely hypothetically. Meaning that there will not actually be many realities; there will not actually be a diversion... There will only be an unformed potential for different reality-outcomes. Therefore, any alternative reality created does not in fact exist, but on exists in potentia.
    That means you'll be dead, but immortal in potentia.
    But from what I've read, people sometimes mention that you we can't communicate with other dimensions, so they're implying that those other dimensions exists with those outcomes?

You're not reading people's replies, are you?

The good thing about this theory is that everyone gets to test it for themselves. Just continue living, and if you ever experience your own death, let someone know. We'd appreciate a follow-up post.

Also, the theory purports that you would get 'increasingly lonely' because everyone else around you dies. But if every quantum decision creates multiple worlds, there must be at least one event stream in which at some point people you know stop dying- where their subjective immortality coincides with your own. That would suggest the existence of subjective experiences of the world in which at some point people you know, at the very least, stop dying and continuing living along with you. No more unlikely than your own continued existence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    You're not reading people's replies, are you?
    I'm sorry, it's just that I've been paranoid all evening. It's a problem I have and I came here for the hope of me interpreting it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forever? Wouldn't old age get you in the end of every universe? Or does this thought experiment suggest there is a universe in which old age doesn't kill me?

I'm sorry, it's just that I've been paranoid all evening. It's a problem I have and I came here for the hope of me interpreting it wrong.
    I used to smoke weed too!

(Just kidding... unless I'm not.)