Sim results that confused me

Hello all,

I recently sim my DK ( http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...whomp/advanced ) and I got some weird results. I used Patchwerk, 10K iterations. The results normalized...

Str: 1.00
    Crit: 0.40
    Hast: 0.60
    Mast: 0.49

This is DW, that means mastery. I could understand haste being almost equal or even slightly better since I stack mastery. But is this normal? I mean this difference is bigger that what it "should" have been. Any input/opinions on that?

Thank you in advance.

Run it again with 50k. I don't recommend running 10k if you want the best results for stat weights. Also, run plots for Haste and Mastery so you can see when and where the priorities change.

15+ Year Old Account
    You really should use BT as dw frost. Try resimming as BT at 50k.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraeth View Post
    You really should use BT as dw frost. Try resimming as BT at 50k.
    Actually it simmed lower with BT :P

yes, it's normal at lower gear levels to have different stat weights.
    the stat weights on EJ/etc are in BIS gear

now if you were getting sim results like me where EXP was worth like .75 and you're already exp capped...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    now if you were getting sim results like me where EXP was worth like .75 and you're already exp capped...
    Exp and hit rating are evaluated regardless you are capped or not.

Well, I am not BiS but my gear cannot be classified in the range of "lower gear levels".

Deleted
    I had similar risults with my previous gear (~ ilvl 487) but sincerely I didn't gave it any credit since I was switching to DW for more AOE and str/mastery are way better for this particular task.

Btw try to run a sim with haste gems and see how it goes.

This has to do with both gearlevel and it being a patchwerk fight.

Lower gearlevels value Haste more, because you will have tremendous amounts of downtime otherwise. This is not the case in higher gear levels, where Mastery will net you more damage because you become close to GCD-capping anyway.

It being a Patchwerk fight also completely negates the MAIN reason you should go Mastery even though Haste sims better. Your Howling Blast cleave. If we normalise it for just the increased damage from Howling Blast on a fight like Ambershaper (hitting 3+ targets if your raid is closeby with the ambers) or on Stone Guard, effectively perma cleave on your Howling Blast, Mastery will pull ahead BIG time even when the Patchwerk sim is favoring Haste.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickwickman View Post
    This has to do with both gearlevel and it being a patchwerk fight.

Lower gearlevels value Haste more, because you will have tremendous amounts of downtime otherwise. This is not the case in higher gear levels, where Mastery will net you more damage because you become close to GCD-capping anyway.
    The OP doesn't have a low gear level though. Also, I have 508 average item level as dw frost, I have less haste, but mastery still sims better than haste for me.

Even if it didn't I'd prioritise mastery anyway, partly because of aoe, and partly because of anti magic shell. Haste is always worse than it looks on paper if we can get runic power for free, and for the majority of encounters in this tier we can get plenty.

Anyway, using unholy blight could be a factor. Run 50k iteration sims with plague leech, one for blood tap and one for runic empowerment.
    Last edited by Shiira; 2013-01-25 at 02:31 PM.

Are you using the default priority and buffs? What version of Simcraft? Because my results do not match yours.

Your Spec = 107.9k dps
    w/Blood Tap = 109k dps
    w/BT and Plague Leech = 112.6k dps

w/BT and PL:
    Mastery: 1.68
    Haste: 1.67

So they are very close, which is often true, but mastery is still better, and even if it wasn't, for the reasons listed above (as well as Haste being overvalued in sims due to no downtime, no AMS soaking, bad timing of lust that you have no control over, long fights where you get 2 ERW, etc) you should stack in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Italiandk View Post
    Exp and hit rating are evaluated regardless you are capped or not.
    are you sure? I don't remember this being the case before.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    are you sure? I don't remember this being the case before.
    It has been this way for a long time.

For other secondary stats simcraft adds more and sees how much dps you gain, for hit and expertise it takes some away and sees how much dps you lose.