Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    don't you love how homophobes, people who have an irrational fear of gay people, want to get homosexuals classed as having a mental disorder. Which of the two seems more irrational, the happy same sex couple, or the one shouting hate at them for loving one another.
    Homosexuality is legally recognized in Turkey. Turkey has a more liberal and secular constitution than many other Muslim countries, although I can't comment on it's domestic policies. The Army seems to be the exception - some of their odd vetting methods are outlined in this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1379823.html

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Its little surprise, seeing the rigid political and ethnic stance russia has. They would care more about peoples pathetic fantasies in fairy tale gods and demons then they would in real human beings having the right to be happy.

There governments are also probably tied to the church money wise.
    Well, the Orthodox Church was banned by the Soviet Union - and Stalin notoriously had many churches demolished - including the monumental Cathedral of Christ the Saviour. This was reconstructed after the fall of Communism. Interestingly, Stalin briefly allowed churches to be re-opened during the Nazi invasion of Russia, as the Church remained popular and he was trying to use its power for propaganda ends. I think it's wrong to restrict people from having beliefs, including religious ones. But the Orthodox Church was very powerful in Tsarist Russia, and has had a resurgence in recent years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    While it does say:
    "In practice, only a minority of citizens participated actively in any religion. Many who identified themselves as members of a faith participated in religious life rarely or not at all."
    I'm inclined to say that in the U.S. something similar could be said, just based on casual observations.
    This is quite true. After all it's easier to go every sunday to a church service than actually living according to the standard morals of your religion. And it's much easier to get angry and condemn homosexuality and abortion than going to service every sunday. So obviously most Christians will chose to get angry about social morality issues over actual religious observance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    It's a shame really, considering russia was atheist for many years.
    Do you really think that someone can't be atheist and homophobic/anti-gay rights at the same time? There are plenty of them out there, don't be delusional and try to erect some sort of moral high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Do you really think that someone can't be atheist and homophobic/anti-gay rights at the same time? There are plenty of them out there, don't be delusional and try to erect some sort of moral high horse.
    Yea, there was a law specifically against male anal sex in "atheist Russia" (read USSR). Person charged with the crime faced 3 to 5 years in prison.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jotabe View Post
    They have purpousefully left that undefined, so they can make it up as they go. Homosexuals in Russia think it will involve the publication of anything that raises awareness of persecution of homosexuals or anything that promotes equal rights for the homosexuals. Or the public display of homosexuality.
    If that means they won't be plagued by the likes of "glee" I'll move to Russia tomorrow.

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 07:42 AM ----------

Seriously though, the international gay community has handled things in probably the worst way possible. Media views on the issue and their approach to... yeh well I guess you could call glee, the new normal, and a thousand of programs on tv, "propaganda", doesnt help either.
    Asking for equality while heavily promoting the striking differences will result in LESS appreciation in public opinion.
    Some of the gay friends that I have aren't like the ones depicted in television. Others are but again just because that's the fashion media created (shit music, club culture, care about NOTHING apart from having fun, blabla).

So where's the surprising news?
    If the very movement that should be out there making sure equality is achieved is the one responsible for the spreading of this fake, silly picture of the "homosexual", you can't then be accusing people for their reaction.
    People will always be afraid of the different.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Media views on the issue and their approach to... yeh well I guess you could call glee, the new normal, and a thousand of programs on tv, "propaganda", doesnt help either.
    Asking for equality while heavily promoting the striking differences will result in LESS appreciation in public opinion.
    You are aware that media products are designed to be consumed by a majoritarily heterosexual audience, right? Which means that the depiction of homosexuals is going to represent the homosexual stereotype instead of the reality. They earn "gay cred" by placing gay chars, and "het cred" by creating ridiculous stereotypes that heteros can laugh at.

Deleted
    You are aware that media products are designed to be consumed by a majoritarily heterosexual audience, right? Which means that the depiction of homosexuals is going to represent the homosexual stereotype instead of the reality. They earn "gay cred" by placing gay chars, and "het cred" by creating ridiculous stereotypes that heteros can laugh at.
    Yeh that's why I said it doesn't help.
    If I was gay I'd be pretty pissed at the way homosexuals are depicted.
    As I'm pretty sure many are, mind you. Yet no one seems to be vocal about it.

Things like this always happen before major change. It's similar to how in front of a cold front there are storms and unstable air. There is always panicked last ditch efforts to resist the change before the overwhelming movement of new thought over takes them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Yeh that's why I said it doesn't help.
    If I was gay I'd be pretty pissed at the way homosexuals are depicted.
    As I'm pretty sure many are, mind you. Yet no one seems to be vocal about it.
    I'd say gay people are happy enough not to be depicted as pedophile rapists, that's why they are not too vocal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not particularly surprising; as long as the church holds an overwhelming portion of the constituency, they will have an influence in government. This is only compounded by a large number of younger Russians deciding not to get involved in politics overall outside of the relatively useless position of protesters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithfin View Post
    Yea, there was a law specifically against male anal sex in "atheist Russia" (read USSR). Person charged with the crime faced 3 to 5 years in prison.
    3-5 years is a fairly large understatement considering some of the potential consequences if one was caught

As a gay man, I only ask one thing:

Why? Why do you all care what I do when it doesn't effect you.

>_>
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Deleted
    I'd say gay people are happy enough not to be depicted as pedophile rapists, that's why they are not too vocal.
    Yeh that is definitely an improvement ill give you that, but I don't think what the media are selling is a beneficial image on the long run.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post

>_>
    Gladys Kravitz Syndrome. People attempting to make up for their own misgivings by prying into the business of others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    Good job, butt hurt homophobic old men suddenly represent Russia? get a grip.
    The entire Duma voted yes for it except 2 people, the russian orthodox church was the ones who gave birth to demand of a ban.
    So now gay people can be added to the list of oppressed people in Russia along with dissidents, journalists etc.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Not particularly surprising; as long as the church holds an overwhelming portion of the constituency, they will have an influence in government. This is only compounded by a large number of younger Russians deciding not to get involved in politics overall outside of the relatively useless position of protesters.
    After communism I can't exactly blame them.

God, this story is utterly depressing. Hope Russia sorts its excrement out.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Deleted
    Everytime their is something about gay rights, the church is involved somehow, you never see atheists protest against these sort of things... Makes you wonder what religion is good for on an organized scale, they should stop the tax benefits religion gets. If people would have to pay to go to church you would see a rapid decline in believers. (and an increase in tolerance)

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post

>_>
    All those gay parades and ostentatious kissing don't help you people get a good image around the world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggo View Post
    All those gay parades and ostentatious kissing don't help you people get a good image around the world.
    I'm afraid that this is true. While I despise homophobic people, I begin to understand how they feel when they see what kind of people attend to those parades. You don't see people in casual clothes, looking ordinary and protesting in a serious manner. You see a bunch of transsexuals with more make-up than Lady Gaga, displaying a cringe-worthy behavior.

That doesn't mean that most gay people act like this. But those parades are really, really awkward and should be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggo View Post
    I hope you are aware that the people who participate in parades don't represent all of us, right?

I don't hold all Christians in the same view as the WBC or believe all Muslims agree with the members of Al Queada.
    Last edited by Activi-T; 2013-01-26 at 11:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw this yesterday on tv, was disgusted.

They even showed gay demonstrants get beaten by orthodox christians in front of the parliament.

And then people wonder why religion's image gets worse every day....