Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Patient AnotherInternetOpinion's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah get it. Its great for a change. However, if youre tight on cash or didnt do your chores this week and mums holding out on your cash dont worry its not that great.

It is pretty great to have something different to play now and then. I'm only lvl 25 on two characters, and I've already played more than twice the amount of time I spend on your general "single player" games.
    i5 2500K | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    @SamR.

Still missing the point there.
    The point I was addressing was that LFD did not make people to sit in the main city looking for a dungeon. In fact, it had the opposite effect where it freed people from having to sit in a city because you could get a group from anywhere. That people still enjoy hanging out in cities has nothing to do with LFD.

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    The point I was addressing was that LFD did not make people to sit in the main city looking for a dungeon. In fact, it had the opposite effect where it freed people from having to sit in a city because you could get a group from anywhere. That people still enjoy hanging out in cities has nothing to do with LFD.
    You do understand this is a Guild Wars 2 sub-forums right? My point was the comparison between the usage of main cities on both, and how content is spread. staying on a city won't provide much for you in gw2 besides really exploring it, doing jumping puzzles and getting into vistas (with a reward on the end + exp), while on WoW you can access everything from and never leaving a city (which it's ok if you don't, and that it actually frees people, but many still just sit on). So I ask again did you play gw2 or just posting in the wrong section (Can't discuss just WoW on here).

You do understand this is a Guild Wars 2 sub-forums right? My point was the comparison between the usage of main cities on both, and how content is spread. staying on a city won't provide much for you in gw2 besides really exploring it, doing jumping puzzles and getting into vistas (with a reward on the end + exp), while on WoW you can access everything from and never leaving a city (which it's ok if you don't, and that it actually frees people, but many still just sit on). So I ask again did you play gw2 or just posting in the wrong section (Can't discuss just WoW on here).
    Nope, I don't play GW2. That's why I limit the scope of my posts in this forum.

But WoW gets brought up a lot in here and there's a lot of misinformation being posted about it.

There are lots of features in GW2 that you can't access from the main city. Just like there are a lot of features in WoW you can't access from the main city. Pet battles/collection, hunting world rares, hunters trying to find rare pets, tending your farm, dailies, grinding for rep/items, fishing/mat collecting, world bosses(though raids tend to be formed in the city), soloing old content, archeology, etc.

I didn't bring up the comparison to WoW, just correcting misinformation about everything in WoW revolving around the city.
    Last edited by SamR; 2013-01-26 at 09:10 AM.

Just out of curiosity what server are you in?
    Piken Square I think its called.

But WoW gets brought up a lot in here and there's a lot of misinformation being posted about it.

There are lots of features in GW2 that you can't access from the main city. Just like there are a lot of features in WoW you can't access from the main city. Pet battles/collection, hunting world rares, hunters trying to find rare pets, tending your farm, dailies, grinding for rep/items, fishing/mat collecting, world bosses(though raids tend to be formed in the city), soloing old content, archeology, etc.

I didn't bring up the comparison to WoW, just correcting misinformation about everything in WoW revolving around the city.
    yeh exactly. people sitting in cities are lazy buggers who think all they need to do is queue for dungeons yet the hilarious part is i can both queue for pvp AND dungeons while being out in the world doing anything i please. and usually pvp pops first, i complete it and im still queued for dungeons.

show me a game that does THAT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    yeh exactly. people sitting in cities are lazy buggers who think all they need to do is queue for dungeons yet the hilarious part is i can both queue for pvp AND dungeons while being out in the world doing anything i please. and usually pvp pops first, i complete it and im still queued for dungeons.

show me a game that does THAT.
    the irony of this statement is that you think it's a great thing to have to wait to do content, haha. sorry but that really made me laugh because i am certain you thought you actually had a winning argument.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, but only 2 of those are even fun... and dailies take like 30 minutes and then it's like "Oh boy! now what boring grind do i get to do next?!"

I don't think i've ever gone to sit in a city in GW2 unless i planned on going AFK, or RPing...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    the irony of this statement is that you think it's a great thing to have to wait to do content, haha. sorry but that really made me laugh because i am certain you thought you actually had a winning argument.
    only a fool would say something as absurd as your statement. its an MMO, you give everything to the player and BAM they burn through it and leave. why do you think dlc is so popular cupcake? because the developers dont want you leaving, they want you to have that game either in your hands or not far away.

oh, and to finalise, winning argument? how about that fractals shit eh? oh yeh, the mini dungeons with gear that has better stats that beat everything except the BIG ASS grind known as legendaries? oh yeh, hows that gating and vertical prog working now?

Lions Arch, the only chatter is finding people who will do fractals LOL what a winner.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    only a fool would say something as absurd as your statement. its an MMO, you give everything to the player and BAM they burn through it and leave. why do you think dlc is so popular cupcake? because the developers dont want you leaving, they want you to have that game either in your hands or not far away.

oh, and to finalise, winning argument? how about that fractals shit eh? oh yeh, the mini dungeons with gear that has better stats that beat everything except the BIG ASS grind known as legendaries? oh yeh, hows that gating and vertical prog working now?

Lions Arch, the only chatter is finding people who will do fractals LOL what a winner.
    Just to correct you since you never/stopped playing the game ASCENDED GEAR will be obtainable without doing fractals, MEANING THAT EVERYONE CAN HAVE ASCENDED ITEMS! And yes i love that legendaries have a huge mega big ass grinding because you know they are legendaries, something that is hard to get if it was for me I wouldnt even make the precursors sellable.

I have no problem with you or millions of people disliking gw2, but I do have a problem with you spreading misinformation, for whathver goal you have.

Quote Originally Posted by xizzu View Post
    Just to correct you since you never/stopped playing the game ASCENDED GEAR will be obtainable without doing fractals, MEANING THAT EVERYONE CAN HAVE ASCENDED ITEMS! And yes i love that legendaries have a huge mega big ass grinding because you know they are legendaries, something that is hard to get if it was for me I wouldnt even make the precursors sellable.

I have no problem with you or millions of people disliking gw2, but I do have a problem with you spreading misinformation, for whathver goal you have.

oh boo hoo. misinformation? dude, its a gear tier and gear gating attached with massive grind. 2 things arenanet said they wouldnt do.

LOL fucking fanboys, first you cheer that theres no gear treadmill or gated content, then arenanet do it and then its all AOKAY.

and you wonder why people like me have indents of the keyboard from all the face to desk smashing we do over this kind of ridiculousness.

misinformation LOL oh no, the videogame needs defending!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    Ive found anyone who types haha generally has a week point and so your's proves, the point infinite is making is not that queues are good but that you can queue anywhere for content not just in cities thus rendering the idea that everyone sits in org/sw waiting for a queue as moot.
    If youre able to show me a game that has no queue times when forming random groups then you're statement isn't as ludicrous as it looks. Also even if you were right, that's not ironic you misused the term, very much like alanis morisette did when she sang ironic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloogonis View Post
    Well thank you for all the input everyone. I ended up buying and starting the install/patching before heading off to work today. It is still patching (Thanks slow internet), but I should be able to enjoy this for the whole weekend.

Welcome to Tyria

(sits back and waits for the GW2 Effect to kick in....)

Couple beginner tips you might find handy:

*You trigger Dodge by double tapping a direction key. You might want to rebind dodge to another key so you don't accidentally dodge off a cliff. Dodging is an important part of combat, reducing damage taken is more critical in many cases than dealing damage.

*Pick up the gathering tools as soon as you can, it's a good source of gold and xp.

*Use the Ctrl key to flash the name of interactable objects like resource nodes, quest items and environmental weapons.

*Your bag commands include a Deposit All Collectibles feature. This puts all your mats and mini pets in your bank. There are Invisible Bags, items in these bags will not be deposited.

*Use a crude salvage kit for all white items in the beginner zones. Check Trading Post prices for blues and greens, vendor if less than TP price. If you find a Half-Eaten weapon, grats - you hit the jackpot.

*Trading Post is 5% to list plus 10% if it sells. The Projected Profit on the Trading Post does not inclued the listing fee.

*Waypoint costs are insignificant at early levels, start feeling cumbersome at later levels and become insignificant again when you level cap. Free travel is available by going to main portal hub of Lion's Arch. You can get there immediately by either entering WvW (the castle icon) or the PvP lobby (the crossed sword icon) and then taking the Asura Portal to LA.

*You can test how a profession plays at max level by going to the PvP lobby where you will be boosted to 80 and have free access to all weapons, gear, sigils, runes, traits, skills, etc, and try it out on the test dummies or in a hot join PvP match. If you don't like how a character plays with one set of weapons, try a different kind of weapon - my ele plays completely different as staff vs dagger/dagger.

*The community is very friendly and helpful. Don't hesitate to ask questions or ask for help
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Welcome to Tyria

(sits back and waits for the GW2 Effect to kick in....)
    Those FoV headaches and sickness get you too?

Neat! Let us know what you think! Remember some good advices here such as taking it slow and exploring all you can.
    I will! Currently the patching is at 93%, so I am very close to finding out what the game is like, and I really look forward to playing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvt Huson View Post
    I want to make an 80ft golden dong and get terrorised by fisher price shoggoths
    “You heard the man,” Jaime said to Ilyn Payne. “Find a nice long spear, and shove it up his arse.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive found anyone who types haha generally has a week point and so your's proves, the point infinite is making is not that queues are good but that you can queue anywhere for content not just in cities thus rendering the idea that everyone sits in org/sw waiting for a queue as moot.
    If youre able to show me a game that has no queue times when forming random groups then you're statement isn't as ludicrous as it looks. Also even if you were right, that's not ironic you misused the term, very much like alanis morisette did when she sang ironic.
    OH I FOUND ONE!! Playing a tank or healer in WoW or any other mmo!! Sucks to be dps though, good thing i rarely got that option....

PS: If GW2 had a LFG feature (like in WoW for simplicities sake) finding a group would be instantaneous because all you need is 5 people...
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    I haven't posted here in a while, mainly because i prefer to play things rahter than post about them.

GW2 has me hooked longer and more than WoW ever did. If it's your kind of game, it's amazing. Tera may have done the combat a bit better, and SWTOr the story but GW2 does give you a well above average combination of all. And tbh, swtor shouldn't have existed in its current form. And it won't ever again, since it's not financially viable. You can nag about it all you like, swtor was too expensive to be viable. You won't ever see something like it again.

I'd also like to point out that GW2 is sstill a mmo that's fresh. WoW was far from perfect in its launch, and you may claim that we now have more advanced technics and all that, but the large part of an MMO is design and that takes time no matter how far in the future you are. And let's face it, gw2 is also nice because it doesn't suck your money away each month and still gives you free content to boot.

I still see tons of people and I get dungeon groups together in a matter of minutes. Of course some of the lower level zones are empty, but that's in every MMO, something I would light ot highlight. And it's on Anet's radar and will be adressed in the next patches.

So to sum it up, yes, GW2 is worth it, even if you just level to 80 and then log in each month to check the new stuff.

And retro and Lucky, it's nice to see you're still going hardcore. I admire your persistence./s
    Last edited by mmoccf2a3d971d; 2013-01-26 at 06:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    OH I FOUND ONE!! Playing a tank or healer in WoW or any other mmo!! Sucks to be dps though, good thing i rarely got that option....

PS: If GW2 had a LFG feature (like in WoW for simplicities sake) finding a group would be instantaneous because all you need is 5 people...
    The liklihood is yes you would have near instananeous grouping indeed, well for the main part, you'd still have issues with the less liked dungeons and possibly lower level dungeons but yes you would indeed, but diminsihing returns will kick in to prevent spam fests I imagine.

I don't understand what you mean with DR will kick in, care to elaborate?
    (also one of the most active dungeons is AC, the lowest level dungeon out there, while conversely arah is one of the least active)