Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKen View Post
    I'm going to start of by saying that I'm 20 years old. I'm 6'5" and I weight over 500 pounds. I'm scared to weigh myself. I'm scared that it won't be 500 but be 600 or more. You can't really tell that I weigh that much. I think that my height distributes the weight evenly so while I do look really big (and I mean really big, I can barely fit in a 4 door sedan) I don't look like I'm 500 pounds plus. People ask me how much I weigh and I lie, I say like 300 pounds. I've been big for most of my life, Probably 10 years now. Each year it gets worse and worse. I don't have any health issues that I know about. The only thing that I know I have is fatigue and sleep apnea. I'm worried that sometime in the near future I will develop Diabetes or something bad. I'm depressed and while it may not show, I know that I am. It hurts me to see myself like this, and I can't do anything about it. I've tried. I've tried many times. Somehow my mind just tells me no. Somehow I talk myself out of doing anything about it. I feel trapped. I want to get out, I want to feel normal. How do you guys manage to do it. Are there any tricks to get myself to go to the gym, to stop eating. I probably consume over 3000 calories a day. I fucking hate my life right now. Please give me any tips that will allow me to rethink my life, even though I am rethinking it right now, I know that come tomorrow I'll forget this, I'll just go on doing the same fucking thing everyday. Eat, Sleep, EAT EAT EAT FUCKING EAT... This is hard for me.
    Watch motivation video's on youtube. watch bodybuilding videos, maybe things with '' zyzz'' in it.
    and workout at a gym get a clean dieet and its done. it aint hard and you can do something about it I know people who did it and i did it my self also.
    It aint hard just do it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 06:45 PM ----------

The Sickkunt Generation Ft. Zyzz, Greg Plitt, Chestbrah, Jeff Seid & more (BODYBUILDING MOTIVATION) on youtube

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    I'm going to suggest something here I've been doing myself to lose weight: Look into a Very Low Calory Diet (VLCD) shake diet.
    The issue with that is that on a VLCD your body will also naturally eat it's muscle as it is an easy and fast source of energy compared to Fat. Thus at the end of the day you are also lowering your muslce masses metabolic needs thus lowere metabolism. This coupled with the fact that your hunger pangs going away and needing less food as the days go by are tell tell signs your body is in "starvation mode" thus furhter lowering your metabolic rate.

The major issue is that you cannot LIVE on this diet and it is more or less a fast way to cut wieght but not a good way to LOOSE weight! If you need to get in shape fast or get cut fast sure it works wonders however the long term negative effects suck and are detrimental to forever loosing the weight.

the best way's are always the hardest ways!

1) Put on more muscle it needs more calories than fat to stick around and as such increases your metabolism.
    2) To loose weight have a healty caloric defecit but not so drastic your body goes into catabolism to tie you over!
    3) Get physically active!
    4) Set realistic goals and give yourself time!!!! Even if its 1-2 pounds a MONTH if done properly it will be allot harder to get that fat back on rather than rollercoastering up and down!

So how is it going now? do you have some motivation because of all the answers people gave you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyboucher View Post
    The issue with that is that on a VLCD your body will also naturally eat it's muscle as it is an easy and fast source of energy compared to Fat. Thus at the end of the day you are also lowering your muslce masses metabolic needs thus lowere metabolism. This coupled with the fact that your hunger pangs going away and needing less food as the days go by are tell tell signs your body is in "starvation mode" thus furhter lowering your metabolic rate.

The major issue is that you cannot LIVE on this diet and it is more or less a fast way to cut wieght but not a good way to LOOSE weight! If you need to get in shape fast or get cut fast sure it works wonders however the long term negative effects suck and are detrimental to forever loosing the weight.

the best way's are always the hardest ways!

1) Put on more muscle it needs more calories than fat to stick around and as such increases your metabolism.
    2) To loose weight have a healty caloric defecit but not so drastic your body goes into catabolism to tie you over!
    3) Get physically active!
    4) Set realistic goals and give yourself time!!!! Even if its 1-2 pounds a MONTH if done properly it will be allot harder to get that fat back on rather than rollercoastering up and down!
    VLCDs (at least the proper ones) contain enough protein and other nutrients in the servings (bars or shakes) to provide you with what you need for muscle maintenance.

The point of a VLCD (at least during intensive phases) is never to become a gym buff. It's to combine light sustained cardio work with a mild ketosis. Some of the better ones will have your entire daily dose's worth of essential vitamins and protein in the shakes.

Also, I can speak from experience here. I've lost 60+kg (roughly 240lbs... is that right?) "The right way" over 10 months before. Proper balanced diet, 90 minutes a day on the treadmill, multiple gym visits a week, the whole shebang. I put that weight back on through circumstances involving medication not entirely within my control a few years back.

VLCDs also work. It's like anything. Do your homework. Don't just take what I'm saying at face value, but also don't just disregard VLCDs out of hand because of the easy dismissal some people who may not have actually had to struggle with that kind of mountain to climb in weight-loss terms can throw out there.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Deleted
    No one will help you better than yourself. I dont want to offend anyone, but I'm sick and tired of fat or overweight people crying about their weight. If you consume calories you have to burn them. It's like fueling up a car, you're filling it until it's full and then you burn the fuel rather than filling it over the top and make it spill out.

Start by doing some basic workout in the morning to pump you up, then some running in the mornings and evenings. It's extrelemy hard to start, but as long as you keep forcing yourself it will become a habit. Set up a daily schedule and keep following it, set up a food ration with a help of a professional and stop eating junk food or at least reduce it's amount. I'm doing extreme sports (skateboarding and snowboarding) and I must say it burns the calories like a flamethrower. I can eat whatever I want and my weight keeps stable.

Just remember, sitting on your butt and crying won't make the weight go away, it's the activities that does.

Quote Originally Posted by naq View Post
    No one will help you better than yourself. I dont want to offend anyone, but I'm sick and tired of fat or overweight people crying about their weight. If you consume calories you have to burn them. It's like fueling up a car, you're filling it until it's full and then you burn the fuel rather than filling it over the top and make it spill out.

Start by doing some basic workout in the morning to pump you up, then some running in the mornings and evenings. It's extrelemy hard to start, but as long as you keep forcing yourself it will become a habit. Set up a daily schedule and keep following it, set up a food ration with a help of a professional and stop eating junk food or at least reduce it's amount. I'm doing extreme sports (skateboarding and snowboarding) and I must say it burns the calories like a flamethrower. I can eat whatever I want and my weight keeps stable.

Just remember, sitting on your butt and crying won't make the weight go away, it's the activities that does.
    1+ for you

Avoid junk food and eat healthy food like Milk,fruits,vegetables,meat,organic food etc becuase there are many vitamins in a fruit and vegetables and calories also.

Do NOT get on the paleo diet, do NOT get on to a juice diet, do NOT get onto a "starvation" diet.

You need to change your lifestyle, not go on a diet. Get up and move around. Walk for 30-60 minutes a day. Change your diet up, drink a gallon of water a day. Actually, you'll need to drink more than that. Cut the sodas completely out, and the other sugary drinks. Even a natural fruit juice has a TON of sugar. Diet soda is decent, but at the same time, it can be bad. It tricks your body, because you're drinking a sweet drink and it tricks your body into thinking it needs to start processing sugar, so it starts warming you up, and then since there is no actual calories in it, your body starts craving calories.

If you are an avid gamer, which by posting on this thread it makes me assume you are, get a Nintendo Wii. Buy WiiFit or something similar. WiiSports. They are games where you are forced to move. It's exercise but it's a game. You can even get the Zumba and play around with that a bit.

It's very likely you're taking in roughly 5000 calories a day. You can cut that back by drinking water. Don't buy fast food anymore, and if you do, get something like Subway instead of a burger. Even salads from fast food places can have as many calories as a burger. (They add cheese and drench their chicken in butter, adds up a lot of calories).

Seek help for your depression. That's one of the first things you should do.
    See if you can get a stationary bike, those are fun. They don't burn as many calories as if you were running or on an elliptical, but they do work.
    Maybe go to a gym and hire a personal trainer. I would LOVE to train someone that wants a change in their life as much as you do.

I saw others talking about weight training being more effective and blah blah blah. Well, even when weight training, you should ALWAYS get your cardio. Weight training IS effective, but it's not MORE effective. Both things are important. The first thing you need to do, however, is cardio.

In your first week or two of dieting and exercising, you will drop a solid amount of water weight. You'll feel slimmer, you'll look slimmer, you'll feel BETTER. You will continue with the weight loss, it might not be fast, but it will drop off of you. Getting a personal trainer and working out 3-4 days a week will make it drop faster. Your cardio will come first, but weight training will be important as well. Don't start lifting heavy right off the bat, you'll hurt yourself and end up laying in bed for X amount of days, losing your motivation and getting more depressed. Don't start HARD cardio right off the bat either, you'll hurt yourself and won't be able to do anything but diet, but you'll be so bored you will want to eat.

Start slow, diet, drink tons of water. You'll pee a lot, but it's totally worth it.
    Buy a juicer and juice some fresh vegetables as a breakfast or as an in-between snack. It flushes you out a bit.

Remember (cliche moment): It's a marathon, not a race.
    That means don't do fad diets, don't do strict "LOW CARB, LOSE 10 POUNDS IN 10 DAYS" diets. Talk to a dietitian and a doctor about this. Change your life, get happy.
    And remember: Smile please.

Edit:

If it comes down to it: Apply for the Biggest Loser. They help people, it's intense, but it does work. If you get in.
    If not, just get a dietitian, doctor, and personal trainer.
    Last edited by Demonakat; 2013-01-27 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKen View Post
    What kind of doctors should I see? I think it might be more than just being lazy, I might have some kind of mental issue.
    I'd start with a reputable dietitian. Remember you are looking for a lifestyle change not just losing weight if you're serious.

Go to a doctor mate. Also Try to stop eating junk food. Doctor probably going to say exercise, and a proper diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonakat View Post
    Do NOT get on the paleo diet, do NOT get on to a juice diet, do NOT get onto a "starvation" diet.

You need to change your lifestyle, not go on a diet. .
    to clarify, basically going on a diet IS a life style change.
    if you change your diet after you get thinner, you will gain it back.

but when i say diet, i don't mean low-carb diet or any types of those. my diet is just restricting.. everything, down to what it should me. calories, sugars, etc. i read every label and keep track 100% of everything I eat. works, helps, but I don't break the habit except for once a week on a wekeend or something with a party.

Quote Originally Posted by ruuBEN View Post
    to clarify, basically going on a diet IS a life style change.
    if you change your diet after you get thinner, you will gain it back.

but when i say diet, i don't mean low-carb diet or any types of those. my diet is just restricting.. everything, down to what it should me. calories, sugars, etc. i read every label and keep track 100% of everything I eat. works, helps, but I don't break the habit except for once a week on a wekeend or something with a party.

Going on a diet is usually a short term thing.
    Changing your diet is a lifestyle change, such as what you did.
    The words suck. But going on a specific diet, such as "paleo diet" or "Low carb diet" is simply going on a diet, usually short term. Even if it lasts 1 year, it's not a lifestyle change, it's a 1 year diet. Change the way you eat, change your overeating habits, build new habits. That's what the lifestyle change is.

Deleted

You need to change your lifestyle, not go on a diet. Get up and move around. Walk for 30-60 minutes a day. Change your diet up, drink a gallon of water a day. Actually, you'll need to drink more than that. Cut the sodas completely out, and the other sugary drinks. Even a natural fruit juice has a TON of sugar. Diet soda is decent, but at the same time, it can be bad. It tricks your body, because you're drinking a sweet drink and it tricks your body into thinking it needs to start processing sugar, so it starts warming you up, and then since there is no actual calories in it, your body starts craving calories.

If you are an avid gamer, which by posting on this thread it makes me assume you are, get a Nintendo Wii. Buy WiiFit or something similar. WiiSports. They are games where you are forced to move. It's exercise but it's a game. You can even get the Zumba and play around with that a bit.

It's very likely you're taking in roughly 5000 calories a day. You can cut that back by drinking water. Don't buy fast food anymore, and if you do, get something like Subway instead of a burger. Even salads from fast food places can have as many calories as a burger. (They add cheese and drench their chicken in butter, adds up a lot of calories).

Seek help for your depression. That's one of the first things you should do.
    See if you can get a stationary bike, those are fun. They don't burn as many calories as if you were running or on an elliptical, but they do work.
    Maybe go to a gym and hire a personal trainer. I would LOVE to train someone that wants a change in their life as much as you do.

I saw others talking about weight training being more effective and blah blah blah. Well, even when weight training, you should ALWAYS get your cardio. Weight training IS effective, but it's not MORE effective. Both things are important. The first thing you need to do, however, is cardio.

In your first week or two of dieting and exercising, you will drop a solid amount of water weight. You'll feel slimmer, you'll look slimmer, you'll feel BETTER. You will continue with the weight loss, it might not be fast, but it will drop off of you. Getting a personal trainer and working out 3-4 days a week will make it drop faster. Your cardio will come first, but weight training will be important as well. Don't start lifting heavy right off the bat, you'll hurt yourself and end up laying in bed for X amount of days, losing your motivation and getting more depressed. Don't start HARD cardio right off the bat either, you'll hurt yourself and won't be able to do anything but diet, but you'll be so bored you will want to eat.

Start slow, diet, drink tons of water. You'll pee a lot, but it's totally worth it.
    Buy a juicer and juice some fresh vegetables as a breakfast or as an in-between snack. It flushes you out a bit.

Remember (cliche moment): It's a marathon, not a race.
    That means don't do fad diets, don't do strict "LOW CARB, LOSE 10 POUNDS IN 10 DAYS" diets. Talk to a dietitian and a doctor about this. Change your life, get happy.
    And remember: Smile please.

Edit:

If it comes down to it: Apply for the Biggest Loser. They help people, it's intense, but it does work. If you get in.
    If not, just get a dietitian, doctor, and personal trainer.
    "Get a dietitian, doctor and a personal trainer" What a waste of money... You can find most of the info online anyway.
    And 80% of personal trainers have no idea what they are talking about.

Going on a diet is usually a short term thing.
    Changing your diet is a lifestyle change, such as what you did.
    The words suck. But going on a specific diet, such as "paleo diet" or "Low carb diet" is simply going on a diet, usually short term. Even if it lasts 1 year, it's not a lifestyle change, it's a 1 year diet. Change the way you eat, change your overeating habits, build new habits. That's what the lifestyle change is.
    Paleo isn't a "diet" (I mean it is, but not in the sense you're using it) and should absolutely be a lifestyle change for really anyone that wants to be healthy.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    ONly buy your food ONE meal at a time. Never stock up on anything...This way you can't overeat, and you're forced to move on a regular basis. To go to the store to buy food for the next meal. Don't buy snacks. Avoid restaurants and "processed" food as much as you can. Cook everything yourself if you can. but first. see a doctor about it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Somebodyelse View Post
    ONly buy your food ONE meal at a time. Never stock up on anything...This way you can't overeat, and you're forced to move on a regular basis. To go to the store to buy food for the next meal. Don't buy snacks. Avoid restaurants and "processed" food as much as you can. Cook everything yourself if you can. but first. see a doctor about it!
    Well, thats a dumb advice...

Deleted
    That will only work if you literally live next door to a shop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeria View Post
    That will only work if you literally live next door to a shop.
    My point exactly, nearest big grocery shop is 25 minutes away from my house by car.

Think of soda as a NON FOOD ITEM.
    Donuts and pastries are NON FOOD ITEMS. If it has High Fructose Corn Syrup, it is a NON FOOD ITEM.

This means you never ever eat them again. If you lose weight, then start to eat these foods again, you will put the weight right back on.

Eat grapefruit and fresh vegetables to get used to the taste of them, grapefruit especially, to get used to eating foods that are non-sweet. The only things you get to drink are unsweet tea (maybe with lemon), black coffee, water (maybe with lemon). Thats it. And you have to be utterly ruthless about this.

These changes have to be permanent. As you age, your metabolism will only get lower over time. The new food items that you eat can be done immediately. Start any exercise regimen slowly and steadily, adding more and more complexity and intensity only over time. I recommend including exercises that increase your flexibility as well as ones geared for cardio and/or strength.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Think of soda as a NON FOOD ITEM.
    Donuts and pastries are NON FOOD ITEMS. If it has High Fructose Corn Syrup, it is a NON FOOD ITEM.

This means you never ever eat them again. If you lose weight, then start to eat these foods again, you will put the weight right back on.

Eat grapefruit and fresh vegetables to get used to the taste of them, grapefruit especially, to get used to eating foods that are non-sweet. The only things you get to drink are unsweet tea (maybe with lemon), black coffee, water (maybe with lemon). Thats it. And you have to be utterly ruthless about this.

These changes have to be permanent. As you age, your metabolism will only get lower over time. The new food items that you eat can be done immediately. Start any exercise regimen slowly and steadily, adding more and more complexity and intensity only over time. I recommend including exercises that increase your flexibility as well as ones geared for cardio and/or strength.
    Technically not, if you eat those foods at maintenance or deficit, you wont gain weight.