Poll: Would you go to a gaming lounge?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Gaming Lounge...what do you think and would you go??

A new business is opening up in a mall not far from me. As a gamer it seem like a neat idea, but as a sustainable business for a long period of time I'm not sure how long it will last. I realize alot of the people on these forums are computer gamers and I think this is more geared towards console gaming but I was curious about your opinions or if you have something similiar in your area. The link for the places website is below along with some quotes from their site. As for the poll I'm just curious if it's someplace you would check out.

http://press-play-entertainment.com/

Overview:
    PRESS PLAY is a video game lounge with weekly tournaments that will be located in the Westfield Annapolis Shopping Mall. The lounge will have several stations with XBOX, PLAYSTATION3, and Wii video gaming consoles and will provide you with a place to play and challenge friends at video games in a high quality setting with couches, flat screen HDTV 3-D ready, and surround sound systems for each station.

At PRESS PLAY customers will be able to preview full version of video games instead of the limited demo versions available online. This way you can REALLY see if you’ll like the game before you spend $50 – $60 on it. Along with previewing the newest games, our customers will also be able to test the newest technology in gaming accessories like 3-D gaming, XBOX Kinect, and the PLAYSTATION Move.

Each week PRESS PLAY will host multiple gaming tournaments in some of the most popular games available like Call of Duty, HALO, Madden, Street Fighter, etc. There will be plenty of chances for customers to win great prizes like gift cards, tickets to major events, and even CA$H!!

PRESS PLAY allows you to get paid for doing what you love. Play with purpose!
    Pricing:
    At PRESS PLAY you’ll have the following options:

30 minutes of play = $6.99
    60 minutes of play = $10.00

Become A Member: $5.00 (monthly)

Membership allows you to access your OWN profile for online gaming. This allows you to see what the online multi-player option of a game has to offer.

Customers will also be able to take advantage of our PLAY PASS.

The PLAY PASS lets you pay $40.00 to play your favorite games for 6 hours that can be spread out over time. We’re giving you two extra hours of play.

That is a $60.00 value!!!

Entering a PRESS PLAY tournament will require a registration fee which will vary based on the game and type of tournament. Most tournaments will have an entrance fee of $20.00 (dependent on the game)

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I much prefer gaming in the comfort of my own home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

$10/hour seems pretty steep imo.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Too much money and like most normal people I like playing my games alone in the dark while sitting around in my drawers.

This would have went well back 10 years ago or so before everyone had decent internet.

I thought it would be a fun place to go for tournaments and maybe win some cash. The hourly rates did seem a bit high for me as well.

Yes, i can see it working as its main demographics would mainly be younger kids either without money or coming home ftom school etc etc. used to have a internet cafe on the way home from school in my Highschool days was always packed with students playing 1.6 lan, good times, untill the other shops pentitioned it to close down as they thought it was stealing business from them :| apart from that great idea just probs not everyones cup o tea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HungryHippo View Post
    Yes, i can see it working as its main demographics would mainly be younger kids either without money or coming home ftom school etc etc. used to have a internet cafe on the way home from school in my Highschool days was always packed with students playing 1.6 lan, good times, untill the other shops pentitioned it to close down as they thought it was stealing business from them :| apart from that great idea just probs not everyones cup o tea.
    It's crap, honestly. You'd get far more value out of purchasing a console yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

No, i got my own xbox, ps3 and pc. I dont like sharing those with others.

Deleted
    No, I would not pay to play on a timer with people constantly staring at me anxiously awaiting for my time to end so that they can play, the sheer ammount of little kids stomping and crying around because they can't play would be infuriating and would create an enviornment were focusing on the game and having fun are impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by HungryHippo View Post
    Wait wtf you can petition to get a shop closed down? Well that is 100% bullshit in every single respect

Anyway on topic, It just seems to dear imo. Maybe if you could pay 20 or so dollars a month for full access(still have to wait in lines etc) and then you pay to enter any tournaments? I mean thats just alot of money for that amount of play time. But over all, bringing a gaming community together like that with tournaments etc sounds like a fun idea.

Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    Wait wtf you can petition to get a shop closed down? Well that is 100% bullshit in every single respect

Anyway on topic, It just seems to dear imo. Maybe if you could pay 20 or so dollars a month for full access(still have to wait in lines etc) and then you pay to enter any tournaments? I mean thats just alot of money for that amount of play time. But over all, bringing a gaming community together like that with tournaments etc sounds like a fun idea.
    Yeah, if other shops threaten to not renew their lease, if this shops lease is renewed the landlord can just choose not to renew their lease.

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It's crap, honestly. You'd get far more value out of purchasing a console yourself.
    Sometimes you don't want the hassle of having people over your home to wreck your stuff or put up with their/your family. And they have tourneys alot of people like to VS each other on the scale that this shop can provide(everyone wants to be head honcho, even if its in a little community :P)

To leave the comfort of my own home nope not going to happen.

No. I wouldn't pay idiotic amounts like that to play CONSOLE GAMES away from the comfort of my home.

Altought stuff like this used to exist 10 years ago. I remember them.

Altought me and my friends still go to Cyber Cafe's to play PC games from time to time in organized events. Like a guild get togheter. The trick is we can go 30+ of us meet up in person and play all sorts of stuff while having real life chats, go to dinner and stuff like that. But that is a different pie altogheter.

Or sometimes we go an watch or play at the Local Cyber Cafe's League of Legends or Starcaft 2 tourneys. Nothing too serious but fun. Also I have meet in person and played with folks like Lucifron, Vortix and WhiteRA. (These names should only be familiar to you if you are into SC2.)

Deleted
    Probably not; seems very low value for money and probably targetted at a way younger crowd than me. If there were some PC tournaments like SC2 or LoL then I might be interested but for casual console play, naaah. Kinda feels like it's targetting kids who can't afford their own consoles/games.

When I was in high school something like this might have been nice as a place to hang out though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cost far too much. I'd prefer going arcade mode, where you buy coins and play whatever you want with them. 7$ for 30 mins....man i'd like to see that business plan.
    Doesnt seem to me like it'll last for long. Its targetted at childrens/teen ... but who at the age of 12-20 has 11$ for an hour of gaming. Especially when you can just rent a game for close to 5$ a day.

I guess good luck to them. If they find the magical instrument that makes the business work, then il be happy for them!

Quote Originally Posted by Cairm View Post
    Cost far too much. I'd prefer going arcade mode, where you buy coins and play whatever you want with them. 7$ for 30 mins....man i'd like to see that business plan.
    Doesnt seem to me like it'll last for long. Its targetted at childrens/teen ... but who at the age of 12-20 has 11$ for an hour of gaming. Especially when you can just rent a game for close to 5$ a day.

I guess good luck to them. If they find the magical instrument that makes the business work, then il be happy for them!
    I could see parents dropping their kids off there while they go shop around at the mall (the location of this place is supposed to be in a mall.) I don't think the prices are that bad, but the only time you'd really see that type of traffic would be after work hours and weekends which really limits your time to make money.

Deleted
    No, there is a reason I turn off other the sounds of other users when playing online. Hearing a 13 year threatening me and cursing throughout the entire game just infuriates me, there is no way I would pay over the top prices to go through that in real life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Voted no, mostly because of the steep price.
    If it was cheaper, maybe yeah depending on how it was setup.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    In think it would be great for tournament games like back in the day where people weren't trolls like in online. Will most likely see some courtesy since they won't be anonomous.

I'm a console gamer and the idea of a lounge is cool if the place looks really nice, but the price is just fucking ridiculous to play the games, I'd never end up hanging out there are those rates.

Just to put it into context, $10 an hour is like more than minimum wage first of all lol (not that I work or would get minimum wage). Then, buying a PS3 or XBOX360 would be cheaper medium term than this. You actually wanna play and enjoy the games you buy for some number of hours which would just run up too high at this lounge.

And also I don't wanna deal with punk kids who think they're gods and hog up the machines or stare at you and make weird comments or ask to play with you lol. Maybe if the club was semi-exclusive..