Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    Because WoW totally didn't borrow anything from those MMO's right? Also WoW didn't send out big begging "come back emails" during those releases right?

Ow wait they did..

I guess it's another one of those blind fanboys that think that all MMO's died but Wow
    Did you quote the wrong post or something because
    All he said in his was that no previous MMO killed WoW, which is patently obvious because we're all still playing it

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwsntmilk View Post
    Many people played Skyrim for hundreds of hours even though it was "only" single-player and therefore had no long-term incentives (e.g. community). This is what separates it from previous games that were praised as WoW-killers.
    It's similar to what it was like with WoW: people played WC2 and 3 for hundreds of hours and therefore WoW was that successful.
    They did that because it had mods, and the combat in TESO isn't even like Skyrim's

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    I'm pretty damn skeptical of this game. No MMO has lived up to its hype. I almost feel like Bethesda would have just been better off making another single player TES. As ^^ they said, Skyrim and such were fun because of the mods, and honestly I can only see server lag, glitches, and lack of mods ruining the game. =/

Edit: Therefore, I really don't think it will do more than pull some subscribers off WoW for a month. They are going to be different gameplay styles though, so their best bet is going B2P with microtransactions for cosmetic stuff later down the line. This makes it so they don't have to necessarily work to PEEL people off of WoW, just get people to buy it.
    Bethesda isnt making this game. Its some other company...Zenimax Online if i recall

Because WoW totally didn't borrow anything from those MMO's right? Also WoW didn't send out big begging "come back emails" during those releases right?

Ow wait they did..

I guess it's another one of those blind fanboys that think that all MMO's died but Wow
    So you're the kind of guy that makes assumptions out of thin air? I said what I said because these threads pop up every time a new MMO comes out. Every time the same shit happens.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Said before: People will leave WoW for short while, a few for good maybe, but the majority will return. They always return..

10+ Year Old Account

Ow wait they did..

And how are all those other MMOs doing? The only ones hanging on either went F2P or have no monthly sub from the start. I guess Rift is still kicking around, but I really don't know much around that one.

Yes, Blizzard takes the good ideas from other games and adapts them into WoW. Yes, they run promotions in order to keep subscribers around when other games are released or bring them back when WoW gets big updates. That is called good business.

10+ Year Old Account
    I must say... I knew nothing about Skyrim or it's previous versions prior to Skyrim.

I really, really like the game, though and is one of the few I still load up every now and then.

I am super excited to see ESO.

I have noticed one thing, though - and this is that Bethesda don't really release a lot of content, so that is one of the concerns I have.

I will, still, beyond any shadow of doubt, buy the game and try it out.

Deleted
    I'm keeping half an eye on TESO, even though I know it's not made by Bethesda, and I was proper burnt getting hyped up for SW:TOR and GW2....so, let's see how it turns out before jumping on the TESO bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    I must say... I knew nothing about Skyrim or it's previous versions prior to Skyrim.

I really, really like the game, though and is one of the few I still load up every now and then.

I am super excited to see ESO.

I have noticed one thing, though - and this is that Bethesda don't really release a lot of content, so that is one of the concerns I have.

I will, still, beyond any shadow of doubt, buy the game and try it out.
    It's not made by Bethesda
    Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you, means the game is unlikely to have a similar control feel to Skyrim though

Warhammer
    Rift
    Aion
    TERA
    SWTOR
    GW2

And the rest I've sure forgotten.

All WoW killers.

Yeah.

Yes, Blizzard takes the good ideas from other games and adapts them into WoW. Yes, they run promotions in order to keep subscribers around when other games are released or bring them back when WoW gets big updates. That is called good business.
    Exactly. I always wondered why people pointed out Blizzard doing this and acting like they're being so immoral. This happens ALL THE TIME and is just something businesses to do one another with regards to competition.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2013-01-27 at 07:13 PM.

Same as they said with GW2, it was so hyped and everyone talked about the big wow killer, but the game died after 1 month. TES will be no different. Some will play it, after some time they will get bored and come back to WoW.

In a very short period we got a ton of subscription MMO's like Rift, Swtor, Tera, The Secret World.

Swtor, Tera and TSW is already F2P and Rift have even said they might go F2P soon aswell, which clearly shows only WoW can survive with sub fee.
    Last edited by heltvild; 2013-01-27 at 07:14 PM.

Much like TSW it will be a game I keep an eye on and see what happens with it. Its really going to come down to how well its implemented and how well it plays. Also I'm not sure if we have much of a track record with Zenimax to know how they will handle updating and adding new content, something that Bioware turned out to be pretty bad at.

It will have the same effect on WoW as other big-name MMO titles had. Some will leave, but WoW will still be absolutely fine.

I personally am looking forward to it, and hope that in spite of the fact it is DAoC2 with an elder scrolls skin (some people actually LOVe this fact, me I'm meh). I just hope they stay true to the lore. I am a huge elder scrolls nerd and for the first time in an MMO ever..... I intend to roleplay. :| That's just how I play elder scrolls games. c:

And Castiell, you are 100% right. WoW is a big old leach that has stolen other ideas and halfassedly implemented them since it was made. Doesn't change the fact it is a legitimate strategy...... just like the noob tube in call of duty, rocket launcher in halo, and other cheap strategies. >.>

So it appears a lot of people can't be bothered to read, so I added a summary in bold print in the opening post.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3-1866 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (2-Way SLI) | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler; 200mm Fans x3; | Case: HAF 922 | PSU: Corsair Pro 750W

80+ FPS in Raids on Ultra. Stay mad.
    This setup no longer hits 80+ FPS in raids on Ultra. Stay sad.

Not sure how they "halfassedly" implemented it. Seems like they did so successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by mape1992 View Post
    Said before: People will leave WoW for short while, a few for good maybe, but the majority will return. They always return..
    Sorta like lemmings.

Deleted
    Beware of the curse ... the moment one starts to say that an upcoming MMO will be a Wow killer it gets cursed and it is bound to fail.

Happened everytime ...

If you want this one to succeed you just need to lower your expectations, let the game take its natural and designed course and avoid "Wow-killer" mentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheckameohs View Post
    So it appears a lot of people can't be bothered to read, so I added a summary in bold print in the opening post.
    I already read your OP and I read the bold part now. You're OP and title can create different discussions based on what is presented. You can't force people into discussing what you want when they can be OT talking about something else.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Not sure how they "halfassedly" implemented it. Seems like they did so successfully.
    They kinda did it with raiding. The design of MC was basically ripped from every raid in EverQuest.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    I already read your OP and I read the bold part now. You're OP and title can create different discussions based on what is presented. You can't force people into discussing what you want when they can be OT talking about something else.
    It's a legitimate question that is not being answered because people are jumping to the conclusion that I'm referring to TES: Online as a WoW killer, which I am not.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3-1866 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (2-Way SLI) | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler; 200mm Fans x3; | Case: HAF 922 | PSU: Corsair Pro 750W

80+ FPS in Raids on Ultra. Stay mad.
    This setup no longer hits 80+ FPS in raids on Ultra. Stay sad.

Just for future reference, if you don't want a thread to turn into a WoW killer debate, don't use the term in any way, shape, or form in your original post. As soon as people see it, its game over and the thread is doomed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Since you're all evidently inept, I'm not claiming TES: Online will be a WoW killer. I'm asking how WoW would have to evolve should it take off. Jesus, people.

I've been following TES: Online more and more here recently, and as excited as I am for it, I am concerned about WoW. I'm not saying that it's going to be a WoW killer, not by any stretch of the imagination, but if its model of gameplay takes off and becomes a popular thing (in regards to combat, questing, and the like), how would WoW have to adapt in order to remain king?
    WoW will have to step up its char models, for one. Also, the sense of exploration and adventure in TESO will be unmatched by any game, ever. Goodluck Blizz trying to copy that sense.