Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    What constitutes a low carb diet? I get an easy 100-150g a day without any fruits, dairy, flour, sugar, etc.
    That's pretty low carb. Not as bad as Atkin's, but it's still pretty low. 150g carbs is 600 calories, so if you're eating 2000 calories a day that's only 30% of your calories coming from carbs. That percentage goes down if you eat more calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    That's pretty low carb. Not as bad as Atkin's, but it's still pretty low. 150g carbs is 600 calories, so if you're eating 2000 calories a day that's only 30% of your calories coming from carbs. That percentage goes down if you eat more calories.
    Which means I'm eating enough to satisfy nutritional needs, rather than just eating excess. Any more would be pointless and likely lead back to insulin/leptin imbalances. I'm not really even close to being ketogenic so I can't see what anyone can find as a negative there, unless a person somehow believes bread is important for proper nutrition.

Which means I'm eating enough to satisfy nutritional needs, rather than just eating excess. Any more would be pointless and likely lead back to insulin/leptin imbalances. I'm not really even close to being ketogenic so I can't see what anyone can find as a negative there, unless a person somehow believes bread is important for proper nutrition.
    I never said eat bread. I said you should eat fruit.

Eating 30% of your calories from carbs is not bad. What I'm saying is that you can't eat that much without bread or fruit unless you eat fucking pounds of vegetables. The bags of frozen broccoli in my freezer are 100 calories each for 4 servings. You'd need to eat 6 of those bags of frozen broccoli every day to meet your nutritional needs if you don't eat any fruit or bread. That's just not feasible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I eat 2 pieces of whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter (or almond butter) and 4 hard boiled egg whites with a little bit of mayo in a few halves and a little hot sauce on the others, lol. I'll probably eat a grapefruit or something a little later on and I snack on blueberries a lot. Greek yogurt is good and I'll usually mix a banana and/or blueberries with it if it's fat free plain. I'll sometimes eat oatmeal with a little peanut butter in it or bananas or both. Protein and fiber fills you up a lot and I usually stay good for a long time when I eat eggs. Cottage cheese with pineapple is also good.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

I never said eat bread. I said you should eat fruit.

Eating 30% of your calories from carbs is not bad. What I'm saying is that you can't eat that much without bread or fruit unless you eat fucking pounds of vegetables. The bags of frozen broccoli in my freezer are 100 calories each for 4 servings. You'd need to eat 6 of those bags of frozen broccoli every day to meet your nutritional needs if you don't eat any fruit or bread. That's just not feasible.
    Sure, but broccoli isn't the only vegetable. Also, nuts and seeds are a nice portion of it, ie almonds, macadamias etc

Sure, but broccoli isn't the only vegetable. Also, nuts and seeds are a nice portion of it, ie almonds, macadamias etc
    The carbs in nuts and seeds have a higher GI index than the sugar from fruits. So why don't you eat fruit again?

Also: thread totally hijacked.

The carbs in nuts and seeds have a higher GI index than the sugar from fruits. So why don't you eat fruit again?

Also: thread totally hijacked.
    The whole GI thing isn't as big of a deal as people pretend, for one - more importantly, nuts also contain proteins and fats to make a person feel full, versus nothing but pure fructose for your liver to deal with.

Besides that, as I said, a big part of my carbs are nuts and seeds... Seeds probably more than nuts. Its important to understand the difference.

peanuts, for example, aren't really nuts, they're beans. Almonds aren't nuts, they are seeds, and don't have a higher GI than fruits - their GI is basically 0. http://www.livestrong.com/article/27...x-for-almonds/

Almonds definitely being my fav, but I toss in walnuts, pistachios, sunflower seeds, and macademia nuts occasionally.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 03:18 AM ----------

And I'm not a big fan of the mainstream nutrition but if that's what we're going with, let's at least keep things straight?

"Almonds have a GI value of zero, according to Carbs-information.com. When eaten contemporaneously with other foods, almonds decrease after-meal rises in blood sugar, according to George Mateljan Foundation's website, WHFoods. Eating almonds along with other foods with a high glycemic index ranking lowers the GI of the meal and reduces blood sugar spikes, reports WHFoods."

So why aren't you eating nuts instead of fruit again?
    Last edited by Jaxsz; 2013-01-28 at 03:15 AM.

I do eat nuts, but getting all your carbs from vegetables and nuts like you're saying is stupid. Vegetables have very little calories and nuts have a ton of fat. That site you linked says almonds have 15g of fat for every 6g of carbs. That means if you get just 240 calories of carbs from almonds (or 60g carbs), you'd also be eating 1350 calories in fat (150g fat). You'd get bloated as fuck.

The only reason to cut out all carbs other than vegetables and nuts is if you're on Atkins and eating less than 10% of your daily calories in carbs.

I do eat nuts, but getting all your carbs from vegetables and nuts like you're saying is stupid. Vegetables have very little calories and nuts have a ton of fat. That site you linked says almonds have 15g of fat for every 6g of carbs. That means if you get just 240 calories of carbs from almonds (or 60g carbs), you'd also be eating 1350 calories in fat (150g fat). You'd get bloated as fuck.

The only reason to cut out all carbs other than vegetables and nuts is if you're on Atkins and eating less than 10% of your daily calories in carbs.
    Well fat isn't bad and carbs aren't really needed for a whole lot, at least I'd find it hard to argue that more than 150g are necessary for anything.

I've never said fruits should never be eaten, just in moderation and I definitely don't believe a breakfast composed of mainly fruit is a particularly great idea - especially the sugary fruits most people tend to go to.

For example, some of my favorite fruits are avocados, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber - an avocado sliced on top of my omelette for breakfast with some diced tomatoes, spinach, peppers, and even carrot - sounds a little weird - yields a breakfast with a lot of protein, healthy fats, and probably at least 40-50g carb right off the bat.

I mean there are a myriad of ways to theoretically eat healthy, and eating some strawberries and yogurt for breakfast is enormously better than the majority of things people eat, but I'm just saying I personally wouldn't say it's ideal. I personally believe getting some good protein and fat in early is a big key to feeling full and satisfied throughout the day.

Deleted
    A bowl of wheat biscuits and some wholemeal toast usually does the trick. Peanut butter with the toast, and maybe a coffee too...