Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

230 people dead in Brazil.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...35d_story.html

I think its about time Brazil implemented some sort of fire control, this is just getting out of hand.

I'm waiting for the banning of unnatural death myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. 233 people dead to one fire? That's gone past the border of realistic, sprinted through the forest of absurdity, and dove head-first in to the ocean of insanity. I can't even fathom the idea of 233 people dying to a single fire :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Ultimately a country's policies are best influenced by the worst possible events, rather than the best. Hopefully this will push Brazil into establishing more fire-conscientious requirements in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sifailsalot View Post
    I'm waiting for the banning of unnatural death myself.
    An Italian mayor once banned people from dieing while the new cemetery was being built :S

http://rt.com/news/mayor-italy-cemetery-order-597/

We do have requirements. A lot of them, actually.

Problem was that said club had no license to operate and (as required by law) no authorization from the local firefighters.

That is a tragedy. Not like US can talk too much, club fire killed quite a few at a Great White show.

So you have the requirements but you just don't shut down places that don't use them. That may be a worse sign of corruption within the system. Brazil is making head way in the world though. I know you guys have some crazy job growth, not sure how much of that is related to preping for the world cup.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2013-01-27 at 09:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    ahh so you have the requirements but you just don't shut down places that don't use them. That may be a worse sign of corruption within the system. Brazil is making head way in the world though. I know you guys have some crazy job growth, not sure how much of that is related to preping for the world cup.
    Brazil is still completely corrupt.

ahh so you have the requirements but you just don't shut down places that don't use them. That may be a worse sign of corruption within the system. Brazil is making head way in the world though. I know you guys have some crazy job growth, not sure how much of that is related to preping for the world cup.
    We dont have the manpower to check every single place. The hiring process for public entities takes ages around here (and politicians love to spend money on useless shit so the city coffers end up empty)

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 09:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Brazil is still completely corrupt.
    I second that. Check out Eike Batista (one of the richest guys in the world. Lost about half of "his" fortune this year). That prick had ties with lots of top guys in our political system (lets say he lent one of his jet planes to few politicians so they could attent parties. Few months later, his corporation was chosen to build lots of public buildings, like the new Maracanã (soccer stadium).

Oh and thats just the tip of the iceberg.
    Last edited by Roveredo; 2013-01-27 at 09:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This shit is pretty brutal. Most people died from trampling? Fuck.

Reminds me of the Rhode Island night club fire that killed over 100. I was going to school at University of Rhode Island at the time. Got about 100 phone calls that night making sure I was OK. Scary shit.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is a tragedy. Not like US can talk too much, club fire killed quite a few at a Great White show.

So you have the requirements but you just don't shut down places that don't use them. That may be a worse sign of corruption within the system. Brazil is making head way in the world though. I know you guys have some crazy job growth, not sure how much of that is related to preping for the world cup.
    Was it necessary to bring the US in to this? Get off our nuts please.

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Was it necessary to bring the US in to this? Get off our nuts please.
    I'm from the US, so our includes me. That whole freedom of speech thing is rough. Also, we, see what I did there, had a club fire in the US that killed 96, similar to this incident. Are you from the US, with a Hockey signature I'm starting to wonder. Oh wait, Manhattan forgot the place that thinks its the only city in the US. My bad.

Also, being on someone's nuts means worshiping them, not criticizing them.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2013-01-27 at 09:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm from the US, so our includes me. That whole freedom of speech thing is rough. Also, we, see what I did there, had a club fire in the US that killed 96, similar to this incident. Are you from the US, with a Hockey signature I'm starting to wonder. Oh wait, Manhattan forgot the place that thinks its the only city in the US. My bad.

Also, being on someone's nuts means worshiping them, not criticizing them.
    Nuts. Off please.

OT: How was it that people near the door died first and blocked the way from others getting out? Or was it a trample effect?

How was it that people near the door died first and blocked the way from others getting out? Or was it a trample effect?
    i know no more than you, but my thought is that doors are only so wide. this place apparently had little concern for code, so they might have been narrow indeed. hopefully they werent also locked. so id imagine many were crushed, like the hillsborough tragedy
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    i know no more than you, but my thought is that doors are only so wide. this place apparently had little concern for code, so they might have been narrow indeed. hopefully they werent also locked. so id imagine many were crushed, like the hillsboro tragedy
    That would be horrible if they were locked, but as the establishment wasn't to code and was a secret club, I could see that happening.

That would be horrible if they were locked, but as the establishment wasn't to code and was a secret club, I could see that happening.
    even if they werent, they were obviously insufficient. but yeah, i wouldnt be surprised if they had been locked either, to keep people from sneaking in or some stupid shit. perhaps unfair speculation, but then that's a LOT of dead people
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Day to Remember View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...35d_story.html

I think its about time Brazil implemented some sort of fire control, this is just getting out of hand.

Had nothing to do with fire.

There was only ONE emergency exit, and it was closed so people wouldn't leave without paying.

Once again money goes before safety.

In other note... I'll never understand why people go to those shit holes full of souls. I mean, I'm sorry for them, but I can't understand why would you ever get into a small place with so many people... masses act like brain-dead sheeps, if one yells all yell and if one runs all run.

This happened in my country the last month and 3 girls died because of the masses doing what they best know, brainlessly run in fear. I believe it's time to ban this events unless they are professionals. Fuck money already.

10+ Year Old Account
    OT: How was it that people near the door died first and blocked the way from others getting out? Or was it a trample effect?
    I would assume that those near the exit didn't realise what was going on until they were being crushed/trampled by a wall of people running out.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    There was only ONE emergency exit, and it was closed so people wouldn't leave without paying.
    They wouldn't leave without paying? Do you mean they couldn't, as in people demanding money from them so they could leave, or something else?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    even if they werent, they were obviously insufficient. but yeah, i wouldnt be surprised if they had been locked either, to keep people from sneaking in or some stupid shit. perhaps unfair speculation, but then that's a LOT of dead people
    I'm kind of left wondering how big this space was, and what the maximum occupancy would have been if it had been checked by fire marshals beforehand. For 500+ people (assuming since 230 dead and 200 injured) I imagine it had to be a decent sized area. And then to only have one way in and out. Surprising it was only 230 dead, as shitty as that is to say.

Well, that sucks.

What a retarded band to play with fireworks in such a room. They should be charged with manslaughter