Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Is this the usual thread cycle here now?

So far we have:

- Political threads (they are okay)
    - Gun threads ( stop those, people will never change the mind of somebody else with a different opinion on matters like this)
    - News threads (again, okay)
    - Ocassional funny news thread (more than welcome)
    - Science related threads (totally fine and okay)
    - Do you believe in ghosts threads
    - Food threads (more than welcome!)
    - Dilemmas, trilemmas and general problem threads
    - Tipping threads
    - Zombie/end of the world threads
    - Obesity/fat people threads
    - War threads

And last but not least our dear old friend:

- Relationship/dating/crush threads

I think some of these threads should be reduced honestly, some topics have been discussed to death and nobody is getting anywhere! (I am looking at you, gun threads)o
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2013-01-28 at 02:12 AM.

Deleted
    You forgot threads about other threads...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sisk View Post
    You forgot threads about other threads...
    No, only this one as far as I know.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I suggested a sub forum for those in the suggestion/feedback section come show some support!

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...onship-section
    Last edited by Ave07; 2013-01-28 at 02:18 AM.

I disagree with you OP, I enjoy the full spectrum of threads on here, and have had my opinion on several sensitive topics changed before.

We have, believe it or not, a fairly intellectual (if not diverse) community on here.

To be honest I feel like any discussion of politics on a forum not devoted purely to that is a bad idea because it just causes bad feeling all round and it is very difficult to have a sensible or objective debate on a forum, due to the inherent failures of pure textual conversation and lack of incentive for anyone to change their mind.
    Sometimes people DO come away from these topics having learned things! But more often than not it's the same faces making the same arguments to the same people in circles, forever.

I can understand why it's not banned though, as much as it makes the forums a more pleasant place banning topics entirely can feel fairly draconian

You forgot Israeli propaganda and 'Is WW3 going to happen soon?' threads.

Plus women bashing threads.
    Last edited by anveena; 2013-01-28 at 02:10 AM. Reason: added moar!

Yeah, pretty much. If I made a change to the child forums, I would add a Politics child forum to the Off Topic parent forum.

Personally, if a thread title doesn't look interesting, I don't read it. IE science ones.

Not sure how far we can get with a discussion on this topic. But do you really want to limit people on what type of threads they can start. What if I said food threads need to be stopped (which i dont believe) and that we need more Tipping and Relationship threads?

The "crush" threads are silly, and I've often reported tangent gun threads to just be merged into one of the already big threads, sometimes it works sometimes not.

I never see a recipe thread though, just "what food does X country have" or some such.

General off-topic could be splice up into 3 if we went general, Politics, and World news.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arcade16 View Post
    I disagree with you OP, I enjoy the full spectrum of threads on here, and have had my opinion on several sensitive topics changed before.

We have, believe it or not, a fairly intellectual (if not diverse) community on here.
    I agree, most people here are fairly smart and intellectual people. Except you had it a little wrong with the wide spectrum of threads, as I described in the title: The same old threads.

What usually turns me off a thread is when I notice a topic I might be interested in, but then notice it's at like, 30 pages right off. Screw that!

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    What usually turns me off a thread is when I notice a topic I might be interested in, but then notice it's at like, 30 pages right off. Screw that!
    Yeah I always hate that. I'll read the first page and maybe a little more. After that it just mind boggling.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What bugs me about the crush threads are the inevitable (it seems) questions of "does anyone else feel this way?" or "has anyone else ever felt this?"

No, definitely not, you are the first to ever have a crush! Congratulations!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

What other kind of threads can you think of making? So far you have:

*Politics, anything government-related
    *Guns, anything violence-related
    *News threads, WHICH IS PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING IN THE NEWS
    *Funny news threads, which is pretty much anything funny in the news
    *Science, anything Science...
    *Ghosts and the paranormal, again, this is such a wide topic like all of the rest of these
    *Food -- gigantic topic
    *"Any general problem", you're kidding at this point, right?
    *End of the world
    *Tipping
    *Obesity
    *War threads
    *Relationship threads

You do realize at least 75% of the items on that list can include millions of different topics, right? It's like complaining "There's hardly any choice of food to eat in the world, only wheats, animals and vegetables/fruits!"
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    - Political threads
    - Gun threads ( stop those, people will never change the mind of somebody else with a different opinion on matters like this)
    I honestly don't see how the two are any different.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    What other kind of threads can you think of making? So far you have:

*Politics, anything government-related
    *Guns, anything violence-related
    *News threads, WHICH IS PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING IN THE NEWS
    *Funny news threads, which is pretty much anything funny in the news
    *Science, anything Science...
    *Ghosts and the paranormal, again, this is such a wide topic like all of the rest of these
    *Food -- gigantic topic
    *"Any general problem", you're kidding at this point, right?
    *End of the world
    *Tipping
    *Obesity
    *War threads
    *Relationship threads

You do realize at least 75% of the items on that list can include millions of different topics, right? It's like complaining "There's hardly any choice of food to eat in the world, only wheats, animals and vegetables/fruits!"
    Why should I be kidding about that?

Please explain.

Because once in a while you see a thread which is not the usual dating problem etc. but involves family, finance etc for that person. or they have/had an opportunity and want to talk about it.

There is your general problem boom.

As for the wide variation of things to discuss: true but the same topics are being discussed a lot of the times, so that is a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Yeah I always hate that. I'll read the first page and maybe a little more. After that it just mind boggling.
    Me too, I'll usually read the first page, then jump to the last one and post based on that page.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Why should I be kidding about that?

Please explain.

Because once in a while you see a thread which is not the usual dating problem etc. but involves family, finance etc for that person. or they have/had an opportunity and want to talk about it.

There is your general problem boom.

As for the wide variation of things to discuss: true but the same topics are being discussed a lot of the times, so that is a moot point.
    You're not getting the point of the post. You pretty much are complaining why there's nothing else to discuss, WHILE listing down every possible topic that could ever be discussed, or at least most of them. You have in there: politics, relationships, war, "any general problem" (honestly you should've realized this on your own by the time you typed down this), science for Christ's sake, news (?????), the paranormal and so on and so on. What else do you want? You've listed down such general headings that most things could be added under any of them. The only thing I can think is missing is philosophy, but that could fall under politics or science or "any general problem" depending on the way it's presented.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.