Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    Justify it how you want. Double standards are double standards.
    But it's not double standards, there are reasons why something is accepted in one and not the other, not that many of your points are even comparable due to differences in design, while some are subtle differences it's what makes one feel right and the other not so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, good thing I didn't start out in the hardcore ladder. Died at level 2 when I encountered that guy that rains fireballs on the beach. At level 12 now, been following the build I posted. I've been hoarding weapons for a second character, think I might make a witch since I found a named necklace that seems suited for casters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Man, good thing I didn't start out in the hardcore ladder. Died at level 2 when I encountered that guy that rains fireballs on the beach.
    That dude(I think it was a chick though?) was pretty hard lol. I had to clear everything around that place so I wouldn't die. I also had zombies, did it with a witch, so I managed to do it without dying. xd

Must be a pain in the ass in the hardcore mode though, no?

It's probably easier since you're more experienced and have more gear if you played normal first, I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I made the mistake of rushing in and getting surrounded. All 6 of my deaths so far have been my fault.

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESUS

100+ fps all the time, but Piety fight...10fps. Everytime she went bow n arrow form with ice shots. I was forced to find a party to do this boss. Couldn't even help with the levels leading up to her cause of party members insane effects.

My HD4870 seems to be finally out living it's days =(. Weird how only certain special effects cause it though.

edit: hmm, http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/74530 . God damn ATI

That mob on the beach is Firefury, I believe.

Don't usually fight her on Hardcore. Typically HC players try to get to The Ledge around level 4. You skip all side quests and get there by lvl 4 or 5 asap.

There is a penalty to drops and xp for being overleveled. The goal in HC is to hit certain zones at various level points- Ledge, Coves, Fellshrine, Western Forest, Dead Thicket, Waterfall Cave 2, Sarn-C, Warehouse, etc.

You just skip a lot of stuff like Firefury, Chatters [prison mini boss] or Mud Flats Rhoa boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was also killed by Chatters, actually. Was planning on kiting it out of the room it was in and accidentally got my self stuck in a group of enemies and couldn't cleave my way out. Think that was my most recent death.

There is another monkey boss in Sarn, right after you kill Vaal. He's like between the houses. Enjoys ambushing you with BEAR TRAP and million monkey helpers. >_>

Had to alt f4 out of that mess.

You know as a programmer myself, I can't help but imagine what a big pain in the ass it must have been to code this whole game by themselves. I give props to the one guy who did this themselves. I'm also curious to know what they wrote this in and if they used an existing game engine and modified it or if it was built from the ground up?

Only problem with the game I have is that it is so addicting. Hard to combine with other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Kongor, a prominent Diablo 3 streamer, is quitting Diablo 3 and selling all his D3 gear. He is focusing on Path of Exile now and donated $1,000 to create a unique item in Path of Exile.
    Kungen stopped raiding in WoW and plays PoE right now as well. Plus Kripp. Will be hard for Kongor to do well with those playing. Has to get high on ladder and then maybe. I feel like the PvP path in D3 is partially to blame. For how long it took do make it was just too tiny feature to have any possitive effect. Actually it looks like PoE OB is quite expertly timed ... ppl bored of D3, bored of WoW, big hits of 2013 yet to come.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    Almost everything that someone has complained about in D3 is going on here be people are saying it's ok/great.
    There is one major difference between D3 and PoE ... D3 is low risk low feature polished ok game from AAA developer. You expect it to be perfect. PoE on the other hand has tons and tons of additional features ppl wished D3 to have, comes from low budget developer and is f2p.

I judge D3 on 3 basic points. Combat - good. Itemization - terrible. Atmosphere - underwhelming. For PoE this goes Combat - good. Itemization - great. Atmosphere - good. And then there are all the other things like deep class system, ladders, maps, crafting etc that D3 simply does not have.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 08:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    You know as a programmer myself, I can't help but imagine what a big pain in the ass it must have been to code this whole game by themselves. I give props to the one guy who did this themselves. I'm also curious to know what they wrote this in and if they used an existing game engine and modified it or if it was built from the ground up?
    To be frank I imagine him as some kind of programming god. How fast the bugs get fixed is amazign as well.

There is another monkey boss in Sarn, right after you kill Vaal. He's like between the houses. Enjoys ambushing you with BEAR TRAP and million monkey helpers. >_>

Had to alt f4 out of that mess.
    Yeah, the bear trap was like wtf why can't I move

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

lmao. I can't see how Krip plays in a party. It seems like such a cluster fuck. I can't tell where my party members are or where the enemies are. I guess when you're just brainlessly AOEing it's not that important. Imo, they need to add some sort of outline around party members (which they have stated they would do). Would also like it if they made ghouls untargetable or have an option at least.

Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    lmao. I can't see how Krip plays in a party. It seems like such a cluster fuck. I can't tell where my party members are or where the enemies are. I guess when you're just brainlessly AOEing it's not that important. Imo, they need to add some sort of outline around party members (which they have stated they would do). Would also like it if they made ghouls untargetable or have an option at least.
    What's so confusing about it? It's not as if you can hurt your allies, so you know where you are then you just aim for the groups of enemies.

Again, with the brainlessly AoEing comment, how is that different than most other ARPG's? Having large packs of mobs is a tool many use to increase difficulty, and players will frequently round them up as it's faster to AoE them all down then go one by one.

Having played a Summoner for quite a while, minion targeting sucks. Yea.

God forbid I try to open a chest with my 9 zombies, 12 skeletons and 3 ghosts standing in a tight circle around me.

Also, yea. I am not sure if this Tandosmango guy played Diablo 2. Blizz Sorc, Strafe Zon, WW Barb-- all you did was AOE huge mob packs. In D2 I saw nothing but Frozen Orbs for like 9 years. Just icicles everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    You play in a party to share loot, have somebody watch your back when you dc and to deal more easily with some mob abilities. And you can't brainlessly AOE stuff. You always have to know what mobs you are fighting.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Ah I see. I guess I just have to get used to it. But the outlines on friendlies and the non-targetable minions would help. There isn't a reason why you would need to target them, is there? Like buff them or something.

In other news: "Some good news: there are several AOE skills in the pipeline that will use Daggers and Claws, so dual wielders have something to look forward to!" (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/vie...page/2#p905227)
    Last edited by Creatinebrah; 2013-01-28 at 08:37 AM.

I see 0 incentive to play a game like path of exiles. Whats the point of grinding good gear when its worth nothing?

In d3 atleast if you found something awesome you would get a lot of gold -> Money. So the hunt for finding those good items was there.

Say what you want about the d3 AH, but without any currency ingame...everything has no value and i see no reason to play the game once completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Papapwn View Post
    I see 0 incentive to play a game like path of exiles. Whats the point of grinding good gear when its worth nothing?

In d3 atleast if you found something awesome you would get a lot of gold -> Money. So the hunt for finding those good items was there.

Say what you want about the d3 AH, but without any currency ingame...everything has no value and i see no reason to play the game once completed.
    Uh what? With your logic, what's the point of playing any single player game or any multiplayer game if it yields no real life monetary value. I think you're depriving yourself of an amazing experience from this game (or any good game for that matter) just because the end result isn't real life currency.

And from what I read, you can't really 'complete' the game nor can you 'beat' it.

Also, I just wanted to add that just because there is no traditional currency, doesn't mean there is a system of trade (being bartering). http://www.poeex.info/ so if you do get an awesome item that you wish to trade, you can possibly get some nice orbs to upgrade your current item, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    While true, it's actually not true that you couldn't see the mobs anymore. One exception being Blizzard. In PoE you literally can't see anything anymore, so rushing into a fullblown world scale aoe fight might get you killed. Easy. Like walking into the sunlight from a very dark place with your eyes wide open.

Fair criticism is fair.

There's currently two thing I don't like about PoE:
    - The very, very, ultra, very ultra, short timer on group loot.
    - The lack of proper healthbars for foes, or any form of indication that it's not one of the 15 minions of players x and y and z that you're hitting.
    That's actually what I was thinking as well. I've been watching Krip's stream and it's just a fireworks show, there's no distinction between enemies, friendlies, or minions. Not to turn this into a D3vsPOE but I did play D3 for a very short while with friends and the party system was much better. I always had a clear sense of who my enemies were and who and where my party members were.

About looting: http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/...ooting_system/ And also one by Chris on official forums: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/392

At this moment in time, playing in public games for me is completely out of the question.

Someone said in that Reddit thread that GGG intended for people to 'fight' over loot. I would seriously hate it if that were to be true.

Much to my surprise, there are very few trolls and people that are actually willing to help you out if you have a genuine question or need help.
    Last edited by Creatinebrah; 2013-01-28 at 09:00 AM.

Having played a Summoner for quite a while, minion targeting sucks. Yea.

God forbid I try to open a chest with my 9 zombies, 12 skeletons and 3 ghosts standing in a tight circle around me.

Also, yea. I am not sure if this Tandosmango guy played Diablo 2. Blizz Sorc, Strafe Zon, WW Barb-- all you did was AOE huge mob packs. In D2 I saw nothing but Frozen Orbs for like 9 years. Just icicles everywhere.
    While true, it's actually not true that you couldn't see the mobs anymore. One exception being Blizzard. In PoE you literally can't see anything anymore, so rushing into a fullblown world scale aoe fight might get you killed. Easy. Like walking into the sunlight from a very dark place with your eyes wide open.

Fair criticism is fair.

There's currently two thing I don't like about PoE:
    - The very, very, ultra, very ultra, short timer on group loot.
    - The lack of proper healthbars for foes, or any form of indication that it's not one of the 15 minions of players x and y and z that you're hitting.

The server crashes come third, but it has its merits as well. I'm level 27/28 and I've just barely done one of the bandit bosses (The witch one, Alira? Anyways, her. Names don't mean a thing. Unless you're Oak.Then we're best buddies).

Other than those, the soft-release of PoE has gone pretty smoothly, in terms of the load they had to process during the weekend. Chat has also gone from abusive to mild and actually quite close to how it was before OB. There's more (stupid) questions, but that's only normal with a factor 20 more people playing on average. And there's the YOLO SWAG crowd that seems to lose its cool when the servers reboot, but last I heard, they're getting "filtered" by the mods. What is the whole YOLO SWAG thing anyways? A black rapper wannabe cheer? Like white guys wearing lowhanging jeans? But verbally speaking? Makes you wonder what the mental state of the average player is, really.

I've been testing some builds and I'm actually contemplating to make a Righteous Fire Marauder. Pick up all the Health Regen nodes. Build HP nodes and Endurance nodes and neglect any form of damage boost. Grab Vitality, grab regen totem, get all HP on hit support gems. See how that works out. Technically it's possible, especially if I pick up some uniques in the process, but I'm not there yet in terms of all the requirements.

Right now, I'm progressing in an Ice Shot Shadow, that spreads his focus between +frost damage and +bow damage. The pure bow talent tree feels like it lacks proper resistances, so a mix of ice and base damage bring me closer to chaos and general resists.

I mean that kinda says it all there. The other two titles that have been released for 1/3 of the price point and 100% of the price point are equally as good if not better than the 60 dollar AAA title from the major developer with history, resources, technical ability and proven track record. At this point D3 will likely have to have an expansion to get to the point that POE is now. Question is what do you think the GGG guys will add to the game now and between beta and eventually further down the road? What directions can you take arpg gaming in? or is it kinda just set in place?