Thread: Mage help

Deleted

Mage help

Hi, I've got a mage in my raid group who's consistently pulling very low DPS for his ilvl (he's 486 and pulling 35-45K). I've had a look at his profile and with my limited knowledge he's reforged and gemmed correctly. If I could get any other pointers to pass on to him it would be helpful. I can't post a link in the thread yet, but we're supernatural on Vek'nilash-EU, the mage is Knightfury.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've noticed the same problem since 5.1, I constantly have problems even in 1v1 compared to when Mist launched. But, we're getting nerfed even more in 5.2 for some fucking reason.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voljjun View Post
    Hi, I've got a mage in my raid group who's consistently pulling very low DPS for his ilvl (he's 486 and pulling 35-45K). I've had a look at his profile and with my limited knowledge he's reforged and gemmed correctly. If I could get any other pointers to pass on to him it would be helpful. I can't post a link in the thread yet, but we're supernatural on Vek'nilash-EU, the mage is Knightfury.
    Without logs theres not much we can do. But he seems to be using incanter's ward, he should be using Invocation. That could give him a good boost in his dps.
    Also, he should come here and read the fire dps guide.

One thing I noticed on http://worldoflogs.com/reports/zk7jh...?s=2133&e=2602
    His living bomb uptime was below 50%. He didn't even use incanter's ward.

His combustion ticks are very low (6k?!?), even after the nerf he should be able to get like 30k per tick easily. He is also quite far from hit cap.
    Not using T6 talent at all is a huge dps loss.

Like Eihwaz said: reading the fire guide and using that knowledge is a good thing to start with.

Deleted
    Wrong Meta gem!
    No enchant on the weapon, windsong atleast !
    Critical strike on the bracers? Intellect or atleast mastery (170 each)
    Critical strike on the Cloak? Intellect
    320 hit/expertise gems are a no-no, Crit/Hit instead
    Nightmare tear in the belt?! 320 crit instead
    120/120 Expertise/Crit, should be 80 Intellect / 160 Crit instead
    Dispite the hit/expertise gems, NOT HITCAPPED by a (too) large margin Hit is still the most important stat untill atleast 14.5% or more
    Shitty reforging, the bracers he does Hit > Crit instead of Mastery > Crit
    No glyphed combustion, becuase of this possibly or partly, but probably also a not-good-enough understanding of combustion... having 2k, 4k and 5k combustion ticks is pretty bad.
    No use of alter time at all
    Does this mage have any addon to track Ignite damage as well as Mage bomb/ Living bomb uptime?

No maxed proffesions and no crafting proffesions make a pretty big impact too

Found some logs with him in it:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/h...?s=7873&e=8405 (First boss HOF)
    3:14 uptime of LB is not great for 4:20+ of alive time for this mage, at best it is 75% uptime that should be nearer to 90% (on this fight) and more like 99% for most fights.
    6 scorches on that fight, way to little

20 Inferno Blasts vs 35 Heating up procs is too low on average, but could be explained by bad RNG but only 17 Pyroblast! shows he is using IB wrongly at times and is likely wasting Heating Up procs too.

Your mage starts this fight IB > LB > Combustion, which is just SO wrong. Pyroblast (hard cast) > Fireball till crit > IB > Fireball till Crit > Alter Time should be a MUCH better start.

Overall this mage needs a lot of work, I seriously have a feeling this mage is pretty clueless overall about playing a mage at this moment in time.

Deleted
    Lots of issues here:

Armory related

-- Wrong Meta-Gem - Should be Burning Primal Diamond
    -- Wrong Back Enchant - Should be Superior Intellect
    -- Wrong Bracers Enchant - Should be using Super Intellect (he's using a Cata enchant)
    -- Lack of Weapon Enchant - Should be either Windsong or Jade Spirit
    -- Should Glyph Combustion
    -- Should take Invocation over Incanter's Ward or actually use Incanter's Ward

Inconsistent and incorrect gemming
    Have him learn how to gem properly and consistently and not use a Nightmare Tear because using that is plain dumb.

-- He's also gemming for hit but not reforging for it - he's below hit cap

Logs/Performance related

-- Uptime on Living Bomb is very bad - 48% on Imperial Vizier. This also affects his Pyromaniac uptime and that is a direct loss in DPS. I understand he might have died, but even then his Living Bomb uptime should be within ~1-3% of his total uptime
    -- Average Ignite tick is 12K, average Combustion tick is 6K. Should read into Ignite building and do it properly because for 486 both are extremely low
    -- Have absolutely no idea what he's doing using a G91 Landshark - waste
    -- Uses Mirror Images once in a 7.50 fight. Should get 3 uses
    -- Uses Blossom of Pure Snow once in a 7.50 fight; considering it's a 1 minute cooldown (I think?), should be getting 8 uses
    -- Doesn't use Alter Time - not using one of Mages' best abilities is silly
    -- Needs to learn how to use his level 90 talent of choice

Conclusion

He needs to learn how to play; have him sit at dummies for a while to get used to the rotation properly and have him read up so he's actually using all of his abilities and all of his abilities correctly.

The 2 posts above me pretty much cover it all. Either this guy doesn't know what he should or should not be doing with stats, spells and over all class mechanics or doesn't really care. Hopefully there is some nice mage on your server that can take him under their wing for a bit. Info of the internet can help but being able to talk to somebody should give them a nice bump in numbers/play. Best of luck
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post
    -- Should take Invocation over Incanter's Ward or actually use Incanter's Ward
    While I do agree with this. There's a mage on my server that I talk to pretty frequently that plays a fire mage. (He said he hates the play style of arcane and frost and won't change) But he is in world ranked #56 guild. Though I can't compare all of our #s on bosses but he uses IW, but never actually uses it. He just takes the static 6% SP buff. He pulls some pretty good numbers from what I've seen. But I play a mastery arcane mage though he's a 509 mage and I'm only 501 I do beat him on some fights.

Some guy on our server made a "Realm Rank" dps site where he pulls the information from WoL to get these numbers. The link below. The mage I referenced is Girado from Gag Reflex.

http://realmrank.apphb.com/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bopcommander View Post
    -snip-
    It's fine to use IW - it actually frees up a lot of potential lost time and isn't as big a DPS loss as some might think just because it's static 6%; but it's still a waste to not use it especially when you're comfortable with an encounter and know when the damage is going to come in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I completely agree. Especially if you are comfortable with the fights. I'm trying to talk him into going arcane, but him being on the alliance side I don't talk to him much. And he used to just blow me off until I got the wanna be "Realm First" completion of the rank 8 in the Brawler's Guild and he asked for help killing 2 of the last guys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bopcommander View Post
    While I do agree with this. There's a mage on my server that I talk to pretty frequently that plays a fire mage. (He said he hates the play style of arcane and frost and won't change) But he is in world ranked #56 guild. Though I can't compare all of our #s on bosses but he uses IW, but never actually uses it. He just takes the static 6% SP buff. He pulls some pretty good numbers from what I've seen. But I play a mastery arcane mage though he's a 509 mage and I'm only 501 I do beat him on some fights.

Some guy on our server made a "Realm Rank" dps site where he pulls the information from WoL to get these numbers. The link below. The mage I referenced is Girado from Gag Reflex.

http://realmrank.apphb.com/

I've checked this guys logs because i simply couldn't believe that he doesn't use a tier 6 talent and he is using Invocation in his logs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by allydom View Post
    I've checked this guys logs because i simply couldn't believe that he doesn't use a tier 6 talent and he is using Invocation in his logs.
    Yea I just checked through a bunch of his logs and he's using invo. I never bothered to check their logs because they kept them private for awhile through their progression. Oh well, maybe I misunderstood him or he was just trying to pull my leg.

Deleted
    Ask him if he would consider playing arcane or frost since it's not such a big head ache as fire (damn you RNG !! ).

He got 24 pyro procs but he only casts 18 of them. OBviously he's not hit capped so he might have missed 1 or 2 but I'm sure he didn't miss 6 of 'em.

Tbh I think he doesn't have any idea how to play fire. Tell him to read the sticky on this forum, it's grate.
    Last edited by mmoca9bf05c4ed; 2013-01-29 at 07:48 AM.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the advice, I've passed this on to him and hopefully there'll be some improvement.