Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The game looks boring to me, honestly, and except for the water effects, looks like it was rendered using the Morrowind engine. But then again, I've never been a huge fan of ES (played Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim anyway) and certainly aim to avoid taking an arrow to my wallet with this one.

I doubt it will have an effect on WoW unless it gets a huge following -and- there is something unique to this game that you cannot find in any other MMO at all.

WoW has a growing amount of skills. Somthing i think is a bad thing as it can limit the type of class certain players can play. One of the reasons i liked the Elemental Shaman so much was i only had to press a small amount of buttons. Newer games like GW2 and TESO have reduced action bars and limited skill sets. Both have a deck type system in which you can rotate in and out the type of character you want to play. Want to be more melee in both games then switch to a melee weapon. Want to do more AoE then switch in some AoE utility spells or in TESO switch in more AOE skills.

I also think TESO will let anyone craft anything. So WoW may remove the barrier on crafting like GW2 has done if ppl call for it. Some other things is this Siege type warfare these games are doing. So maybe Blizz will start developing a big zone that is always Cross realm. Where Alliance members from one Battle Group fight Horde from that Battle group. And since its CRZ your always put in with your battle group that week and the zone will always be populated. I say they should look at how GW2 is doing their World PvP and how TESO does its World PvP and then design a zone with both those games in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by the0o View Post
    What features will TES have that WOW could emulate?
    The "Megaserver" (that retarded name makes me want to strangle someone) idea could be one, though lets face it, it is never going to happen, naming conflicts, the enormous amount of extra $$$ thanks to server transferes they would lose out on, and the general incompatibility this means with the current client/server architecture of wow make this a PR, economical and technical no go, quite the hat trick actually .

All the other "innovations" are not exactly compatible with WoW anyway, as someone already pointed out. They simply won't change the hotkey gamplay, they already tried contested zones and scrapped them because they don't exactly work out that well (even though Planet Side, GW2 and DAoC had great sucess with it), graphics, as little an upgrade as it seems to me tbh, are not in the style of wow (not to mention they are already scared shittless about redoing the character models) and redoing the class system at this point would mean essentially creating 1/3+ of a completly new game.

I will add a little anecdote..

On friday, looking for something to occupy my weekend a friend and I decided to play TERA online together (free trial until it goes F2P in feb). We immediately noticed that there were 4 servers total, made jokes about how there won't be a single player on etc. Given our experience in WoW and SW:TOR when they weren't new.

There were hundreds of people. Maybe it's because the starting zone is pushed into one, maybe it's because they actually don't keep empty servers lying about with noone to play with, who knows. Regardless wherever I went there were people playing of all levels. In the cities it got a little excessive at the flight point, but anywhere else it felt like a perfect amount - you rarely had to wait/share mobs because a lot of bosses would spawn after being engaged instead of after death it seemed.

It doesn't matter that this game is going F2P, it doesn't matter that the amount playing it "doesn't make a dent in wow". It was fun that there were people around, personally I enjoyed the combat but unfortunately the story didn't interest me at all and the game just felt repetitive because of that. Oh well, I might play it again in the future.

I think WoW should hurry up and take that, whatever they did to make sure servers felt populated. Honestly outside of a city or a daily hub at peak time the game just feels dead. On some servers it still feels dead in a city at peak! If that was fixed I'd probably enjoy the thought of coming back more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheckameohs View Post
    Since you're all evidently inept, I'm not claiming TES: Online will be a WoW killer. I'm asking how WoW would have to evolve should it take off. Jesus, people.

I've been following TES: Online more and more here recently, and as excited as I am for it, I am concerned about WoW. I'm not saying that it's going to be a WoW killer, not by any stretch of the imagination, but if its model of gameplay takes off and becomes a popular thing (in regards to combat, questing, and the like), how would WoW have to adapt in order to remain king?
    there is fundamental mistake in who you think need to adapt to; till now wow is the king and the other games are the one who are trying to adapt to him; wow is incredibly polished after so many years no matter if teso or another game come up with an appreciated future there will be other aspects that completely lose to wow, swtor was a good example many peoples liked the cinematic questing so what? Is not like every new game or wow has implemented it dispite it's popularity so aside for really small and easy implementable futures i don't think that wow will ever copy or implement any ground braking future taking it from another game.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

The most important thing for ESO to do is to make sure their game feels like playing the Elder Scrolls and not so much about whether or not it will compete with WoW.

As for Blizzard, they won't care what ESO does because they will be focusing on Titan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Megaserver idea has merit for WoW.

But TES battle system seems incredibly simple and punishing for those with a high ping since its completely reactive. So WoW killer? No. Why? Doesnt cater for the lowest common denominator - bad computers with bad internet connections.

Quote Originally Posted by the9tail View Post
    Megaserver idea has merit for WoW.

But TES battle system seems incredibly simple and punishing for those with a high ping since its completely reactive. So WoW killer? No. Why? Doesnt cater for the lowest common denominator - bad computers with bad internet connections.
    I guess you never played a melee pre4.2

10+ Year Old Account
    TESO will have the exact same effect SWTOR had.

We were excited for SWTOR too, at first.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post

Bethesda are saving themselves the community gutting that bioware has had.

Although I'm sure Mass Effect ending, and Dragon age 2's 5 total zones didn't help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stfouri View Post
    I was soo excited. You can't believe how excited I was when I first heard about TES-MMO.
    Then they goddamn tell you that the combat will be like in WoW and no firstperson camera...
    It just killed the hype for me. I could not care less about diving myself into another generic mmo.

The genre really needs to evolve ffs.
    Technical difficulties should allready be a thing in the past.
    Make the goddamn firstperson MMO allready, someone! PLEASE.
    Where have you been for the past two months then? Because ESO no longer is being developed like that. Id Suggest looking it up, it plays more like Skyrim combat now.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Deleted
    I'm not even going to try TES online. I don't want to lose anymore money as I did with GW2 and SWTOR.

Ow look, yet another repeat of the same post... how original.

Iam rather scared of TES tbh, I loved the SWTOR beta, started playing it, and quit because it got boring
    GW2, exactly the same.

Just scared I will waste even more cash on an MMO that will fail to entertain people

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    Personally, as much as I love The Elder Scrolls (you're looking at one of the biggest fangirls of that franchise right here) I don't think TESO will work out. A lot of the stuff that makes TES a fun game, HAS to be sacrificed in order to make it an MMO.
    This is my biggest concern as well. Nearly everything I absolutely adore about Skyrim would be disastrous in an MMO setting.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    This is my biggest concern as well. Nearly everything I absolutely adore about Skyrim would be disastrous in an MMO setting.
    Phasing! Enough phasing and it's as if yo uare all playing single player alongside eachother

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    WoW has a growing amount of skills. Somthing i think is a bad thing as it can limit the type of class certain players can play. One of the reasons i liked the Elemental Shaman so much was i only had to press a small amount of buttons. Newer games like GW2 and TESO have reduced action bars and limited skill sets. Both have a deck type system in which you can rotate in and out the type of character you want to play. Want to be more melee in both games then switch to a melee weapon. Want to do more AoE then switch in some AoE utility spells or in TESO switch in more AOE skills.

I also think TESO will let anyone craft anything. So WoW may remove the barrier on crafting like GW2 has done if ppl call for it. Some other things is this Siege type warfare these games are doing. So maybe Blizz will start developing a big zone that is always Cross realm. Where Alliance members from one Battle Group fight Horde from that Battle group. And since its CRZ your always put in with your battle group that week and the zone will always be populated. I say they should look at how GW2 is doing their World PvP and how TESO does its World PvP and then design a zone with both those games in mind.
    I wonder how many of the people who felt the optimizing of rotations were a bad thing in WoW like the limited action bars of GW2, TESO and other newer games.

Personally, this is the first "next gen" mmo I've been excited about. I never tried SWTOR, because I just can't stand playing Bioware games anymore. It's not that they're bad, they just get really samey since they've all followed the same format since Baldur's Gate. And I knew for sure I wasn't going to try it, because I knew someone that was really into it, and he told me about a dev post where they said lack of endgame content is the least of their concerns... Yeah.

I've never played Guild Wars 1, so I had no reason to get into Guild Wars 2. I'd never even heard of Tera before so that game had literally nothing to hook me in.

Elder Scrolls Online at least has enough going for it to get the ball rolling. At least for me. That of course doesn't mean it will be good, but if it's got half as much content as Skyrim I'll have felt like I got my money's worth. The main draw for me isn't the endgame raiding, or the pvp, or the leveling, it's the world. I want to see Skyrim 1000 years ago. I want to meet the famous people of the era. I want to talk to Sotha Sil. I want to see Almalexia or Vivec kick some ass, since this is before they get weakened by lack of contact with the Heart of Lorkhan. The thing I want to do most though is walk around Vvardenfell. I don't know what areas will be open to the players on launch day, but I know they'll add more over time, and dammit I'm willing to wait for Vvardenfell if I must.

I'm not even looking at this like an mmo. For me, it's an Elder Scrolls game set in the past where I can explore most of Tamriel. That's not to say I won't do stuff like raiding and pvp, but that's not the thing that interests me most right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhallows View Post
    GW2 and ToR didn't really have an impact on WoW. In fact, if anything, WoW has gained subs since their release (or at least, MoP's release) And TESO doesn't really have anything going for it aside from being related to games that are amazing single-player games that also have a tremendous appeal to modders. Can they release a modkit for TESO? Likely not.

I <3 Bethesda, but I'm still not sure what they think they're going to do in the MMO market. It could be good, but I'm just not sure. And as for the OP, I really don't think TESO will have any impact on WoW at all. It'd have to have a tremendous impact on the MMO Market first. Remember, GW2 was trying to be super innovative, and was successful in its own way, but hasn't hindered WoW at all.
    I'd like to know where you get your information from? I can't recall since the Wrath when the last time I EVER saw a report of increased subscriptions. I don't think this has anything to do with GW2 or ToR, but other than the mediocre player numbers that come back for a month with every new expansion just to see if it got better, every report they put out has a steady 300k-500k decline. Here's the Sub graphing over the last 2 years.

http://paidcontent.org/2012/08/30/ch...aving-azeroth/

Amazing Sig by Eis!

Look - I'm an ES fan, but sadly ES:O is NOT going the way ES:O should've gone. Instead of going pure player sandbox it's becoming VERY restrictive. You can only explore 1/3rd the world on your main character, 2/3rds of the world are locked off from your main, the whole focus seems to be more PVP battles than anything involving raiding, rewarding, dungeon crawling or general PVE.

ES:O is sadly looking to be an even more truncated Themepark MMORPG. It's even debatable at this point if it will be an MMORPG at this point, more of a "FPS-mentality with swords and an overworld"

Actually, I was never excited for ToR, and furthermore I don't think ToR counts simply because other than an action bar, it's a completely different subject genre... I personally don't do the outer space/sci-fi thing... Starwars or not. So I think there are a lot of people in that bar too

Amazing Sig by Eis!