Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    We haven't had a leader with a good pair of balls for years. Prince Bernhard was the only one willing and daring to speak up when things went wrong instead of keeping silent and letting the prime ministers flush freely.
    Actualy we did have a leader with balls in the name of Juliana she was quite a rebel because she allways said what she wanted too say thats why the parlement didnt like her very much but the dutch people loved her for that reason beatrix actualy got a lot of resistence to do what she wanted to do by the parlement and thats why people said she wasnt connected too the people.

Im looking forward too the chaos that will hit Amsterdam lol xD
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    So for the first time in 123 years we'll have a king :O
    Awesome!
    And a hot Queen! Now we need a bunch of Swedish royalty and the Duchess of Cambridge to do a calender shoot... for charity of course.

Deleted
    the dutch queen? please, "the queen" is the queen of england - all these other queens are just wannabes

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    the dutch queen? please, "the queen" is the queen of england - all these other queens are just wannabes
    Hey, Beatrix is cool!

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Well now. April 30th will certainly be a blast this year!
    First 'Kingsday' in quite some time.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    Well now. April 30th will certainly be a blast this year!
    First 'Kingsday' in quite some time.
    27 april 2014 xD
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    So for the first time in 123 years we'll have a king :O
    Awesome!
    And when the Swedish king abdicates we'll get our first queen since 1741.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go Beatrix! Wasn't she born in Canada?
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endonyx View Post
    Actualy we did have a leader with balls in the name of Juliana she was quite a rebel because she allways said what she wanted too say thats why the parlement didnt like her very much but the dutch people loved her for that reason beatrix actualy got a lot of resistence to do what she wanted to do by the parlement and thats why people said she wasnt connected too the people.

Im looking forward too the chaos that will hit Amsterdam lol xD
    Exactly but Juliana was with Bernhard so two fists make a mighty stand. Beatrix never said much and i'm afraid Alexander will be exactly the same. Even though i plan on moving out of this country within 4 years my family remains and thus far i'm absolutely not impressed with how our government keeps taking more and more money from the people rather than spending less, it's pathetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Nope one of her sisters was. Although even in that case they made the place she was born temporarily Dutch soil, so she could be born in the Netherlands, I believe. They did it cause she'd been Canadian by law else, or something like that.

On topic, good for Beatrix to finally resign. She's had a long run, and was much liked, but it's time Willem-Alexander starts doing the work he's been trained for his whole life.

EDIT: Looked up which Princess it was and what not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princes...he_Netherlands

Deleted
    Nah that was her sister Princess Margriet. They send Canada like 20k tulips a year as a thank you or something.

That was princess Margriet, Beatrix' sister, she was born in Ottowa, but the maternity ward on which she was born was temporarily declared to be extraterritorial by the Canadian government. Making the maternity ward outside of the Canadian domain caused it to be unaffiliated with any jurisdiction and technically international territory.This was done to ensure that the newborn Princess would derive her citizenship from her mother only, thus making her solely Dutch.

Oh and by the way, Elizabeth II is incapable of abdicating, the English monarch remains King or Queen for life. It's in their constitution.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's amazing what random bits of slightly wrong trivia this brain holds... I knew the Dutch Royal Family had spent some time over there during WWII.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    Correct.
    The 'Queen' of the Netherlands is actually the King. According to Dutch constitution, the head of state in the Netherlands is the King. This was the reason Luxembourg is no longer in the Netherlands; quite a while ago, they opposed the thought of a female King and, as a result (since neither the Netherlands nor Luxembourg liked one another very much any more) split off.

So it's Beatrix, King of the Netherlands and the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

But yeah; I hope she can enjoy her retirement. Personally, I also hope the next King (William the 4th/5th depending on who's counting) will be able to put a bit more pressure on Parliament. I'm a democrat, but the Dutch way of solving things (poldering) can work against the interest of the people...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    That was princess Margriet, Beatrix' sister, she was born in Ottowa, but the maternity ward on which she was born was temporarily declared to be extraterritorial by the Canadian government. Making the maternity ward outside of the Canadian domain caused it to be unaffiliated with any jurisdiction and technically international territory.This was done to ensure that the newborn Princess would derive her citizenship from her mother only, thus making her solely Dutch.

Oh and by the way, Elizabeth II is incapable of abdicating, the English monarch remains King or Queen for life. It's in their constitution.
    Not true at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post

Out of curiosity, was anyone else born in that no-mans land at the time?

(I'm sure it was just her little area, but still an amusing thought for me).

What power does the Netherlandian Royalty have, in a legal sense?

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endonyx View Post
    27 april 2014 xD
    oh she's not abdicating right away? That's what I get for not reading the news properly :P
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Correct.
    The 'Queen' of the Netherlands is actually the King. According to Dutch constitution, the head of state in the Netherlands is the King. This was the reason Luxembourg is no longer in the Netherlands; quite a while ago, they opposed the thought of a female King and, as a result (since neither the Netherlands nor Luxembourg liked one another very much any more) split off.

So it's Beatrix, King of the Netherlands and the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

But yeah; I hope she can enjoy her retirement. Personally, I also hope the next King (William the 4th/5th depending on who's counting) will be able to put a bit more pressure on Parliament. I'm a democrat, but the Dutch way of solving things (poldering) can work against the interest of the people...
    We did like each other, but they followed the Salic Law, in which only males can inherit titles, unless there are no male heirs. In that case, if we still followed that law, we would be ruled by a german, or by none. both lines are extinct in the male line. But hey, netherlands was a republic, not a kingdom orginially, Stadtholder title wasn't even supposed to be inheritable. (in 1674). Thus, actually the Netherlands should be a republic, not a kingdom. (Yes, I dont care about this whole kingdom thingy, I got more right to it in that case *cough* )

Deleted
    Pretty good news, Even though the Queen was a nice lady she deserves some rest now

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    I came here not knowing the word "abdicate" and expecting something about the UK.

I am disappointed
    She is gonna out live us all.