Page 31 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think we're all very slightly racist by nature; we'd prefer more to be around people that look and act like us.

For example, let's say you took 4 people (2 men, 2 women) of each of the 'major' racial groups (white, black, Arabian, Asian, Indian, Hispanic, Native America), and showed them 100 pictures of people of both genders, of all ages and races, and then asked them for every picture, if they would like to befriend or be around that person. I bet you if they collected the data, every person would have approved of more pictures of people of their own race.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    It is officially sanctioned by the US government so long as it is against white people. The existence of affirmative action is proof is proof of this.
    It's policy to redress significant and inherent imbalances in the system. A policy designed to enforce equality is not racist, it's... equality?
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    LOL, Really!?! Yes because the African American, Latino, Native American, Chinese and all others have had their foot on the white man since America was discovered. I mean I remember way back when a white person had to sit in back of the bus or have its own restroom. Oh wait?? 1968, huh? That's barely a generation (every 25 years) of having Jim Crow laws which made it hard to impossible to vote, and outright apartheid in southern states. Even people today such as when Condoleeza Rice spoke at Republican Convention mentioned segregated south and bombing of Birmingham church bombings.

If you really think that affirmitive action is just letting say any minority into a job or college you are very, very ignorant. If you think 25 years is enough for affirmitive action well that is your opinion but again when someone, like Condi Rice who just 5 years ago was Secretary of State knows what it is like to live in a segregated times then that doesn't seem too far away for me.
    So you fix past transgressions of discrimination by instituting more of them?!

Affirmative action discriminates against people based on ethnicity. That is indisputable. If you support Affirmative Action you are a racist, end of story.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 02:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    It's policy to redress significant and inherent imbalances in the system. A policy designed to enforce equality is not racist, it's... equality?
    It sets artificial standards that must be met. Due to affirmative action admission into university isn't based solely on academic performance/potential. If one student is denied admission so that a less qualified student (with the target "ethnicity") can be admitted, that is racist, and anyone claiming to be against racism is a hypocrit for supporting this legislation. You mention "significant and inherent" imbalances; do you mean admitting the most academically qualified? Because that is what should be happening, but affirmative action wasn't designed to ensure the most qualified students get accepted, it was designed to so that the most qualified students get in so long as X% are of ethnicity A, ethnicity B, etc.

I don't give a shit what color someone's skin might be. Admission should be based on aptitude and NOTHING else.
    Last edited by Skarssen; 2013-01-28 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    Just look up violent crimes in USA, figure the amount of black population vs white then you can clearly see blacks are 5x more likely to commit a violent crime. Not really that hard... And why are you telling me there is thieves, murderers, drug addicts of all races when that is not what even talking about. Of course I know that, I'm not stupid nor have I exuded anything near that. Please be reasonable or leave the thread.
    Well in that case white people are more likely to go crazy and do mass killings. Also IDK I think whatever race you are is probably more stupid thus you are. Statics I can find on the internet prove it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 07:46 PM ----------

Affirmative action discriminates against people based on ethnicity. That is indisputable. If you support Affirmative Action you are a racist, end of story.

It sets artificial standards that must be met. Due to affirmative action admission into university isn't based solely on academic performance/potential. If one student is denied admission so that a less qualified student (with the target "ethnicity") can be admitted, that is racist, and anyone claiming to be against racism is a hypocrit for supporting this legislation. You mention "significant and inherent" imbalances; do you mean admitting the most academically qualified? Because that is what should be happening, but affirmative action wasn't designed to ensure the most qualified students get accepted, it was designed to so that the most qualified students get in so long as X% are of ethnicity A, ethnicity B, etc.

I don't give a shit what color someone's skin might be. Admission should be based on aptitude and NOTHING else.
    Unless they are white, right? After all you just made a big deal about how the government is against the white man.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    It sets artificial standards that must be met. Due to affirmative action admission into university isn't based solely on academic performance/potential.
    Which would be fine if people were colourblind, but as long as humans are involved and tests keep reporting subconscious bias against certain ethnic groups (and often conscious, behold these threads,) then college admission is not based entirely on aptitude. You seem to think the system we had for centuries was entirely objective; it was and still is not. The system now has to correct it by enforcing these standards to ensure people get a fair shake.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.

Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    Well in that case white people are more likely to go crazy and do mass killings. Also IDK I think whatever race you are is probably more stupid thus you are. Statics I can find on the internet prove it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 07:46 PM ----------

Unless they are white, right? After all you just made a big deal about how the government is against the white man.
    I made a big deal about how the government supports a racist policy. It was wrong in 100 years ago, and it is wrong now, regardless of which ethnicity is being discriminated against.

It is a system that selects and discriminates based on race/ethnicity. That is the definition of racism, and it boggles my mind that anyone can think that the proper way to prevent racism is by instituting more racist policies.

Affirmative action was put forward to attempt to redress years of systematic discrimination, but are you really surprised that once a group of people gain a benefit or advantage, they aren't going to be in a hurry to lose it? Also you can argue that the entire academic system is broken, the most important lesson that you will learn from the education system is compliance to systems of control.

I also suppose you consider it stupid for Harvard/MIT to allow foreigners admission? I mean, it is ridiculous to give Ivy League degrees to people who are just going to go back to China or India.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Affirmative action was put forward to attempt to redress years of systematic discrimination, but are you really surprised that once a group of people gain a benefit or advantage, they aren't going to be in a hurry to lose it?
    Bingo. The advantaged group gets upset that their advantages have been lowered to being treated fairly. What other system could be put in place exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Which would be fine if people were colourblind, but as long as humans are involved and tests keep reporting subconscious bias against certain ethnic groups
    Assessment of quantitative and analytical skills is biased against ethnic groups?! Qualitative sections require a proper diction and grasp of English, so if you want to say that exams are biased based on ones mastery of the English language, then sure, the tests are biased.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assessment of quantitative and analytical skills is biased against ethnic groups?!
    That's not ALL that goes into college submissions and YES, those tests have been proven to be ethnically biased. I've never heard of a non-ethnically biased test and I have a Masters in education.

I'm not racist, I just think some countries' cultures, sometimes because of strong ties to the religious, has led to a distasteful development.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Affirmative action was put forward to attempt to redress years of systematic discrimination, but are you really surprised that once a group of people gain a benefit or advantage, they aren't going to be in a hurry to lose it?

You think it should be acceptable to give preferential admission to a weaker student just because they fit a certain ethnic profile? Really? Do you really believe that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    I think we're all very slightly racist by nature; we'd prefer more to be around people that look and act like us.

For example, let's say you took 4 people (2 men, 2 women) of each of the 'major' racial groups (white, black, Arabian, Asian, Indian, Hispanic, Native America), and showed them 100 pictures of people of both genders, of all ages and races, and then asked them for every picture, if they would like to befriend or be around that person. I bet you if they collected the data, every person would have approved of more pictures of people of their own race.
    I find white (American, British) and Japanese more attractive than my own ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Everyone a racist deep down even if they don't admit it.
    The more important it is to fight the racist within ourselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've done the forums things before on other sites and usually somewhere along the lines somebody will try to label me a racist. Over the years I've grown to accept it (dont really think I am though). I've never hurt somebody over race, hell I still hold a door open for somebody other than my race, I treat them absolutely the same irl but I am a lot more wary of some races compared to others. I guess what it stems down to is being a realist that acknowledges some races are prone to violence, drugs, and general mayhem. Don't really know what I'm trying to get out of this but I'm tired of others thinking racist people are bad. There is many degrees of racism, please don't lump all of us together and dismiss an individual so easily because he/she doesn't think like you.
    This is due to the environment the people grew up in. It has nothing to do with race. It just so happens that black people make up a large portion of the ghetto population. I'm black. I've never committed an act of violence, I've never done drugs or drank alcohol (though I've been offered on several occasions), and I've never broken the law. It's obvious that you are ignorant to other races or else you'd be able to see that not every black person is a violent criminal.

Also, I realize this post is centralized around discrimination of black people, but that's the most prominent form of racism in the U.S. (except maybe middle eastern people, which is still wrong.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I'm not racist, I just think some countries' cultures, sometimes because of strong ties to the religious, has led to a distasteful development.
    ... And also due to strong ties between dictators ruling these countries and western countries.

I consider it extremely disadvantageous that White children have to deal with so many more distractions than Asian children, specifically Chinese. It is no secret that many Chinese parents are insanely strict, basically they breed their children to go to Ivy League colleges. Their culture gives them a massive advantage when it comes to getting into a good school. Eventually, wont these people flooding into our Ivy League institutions mean that we are producing armies of Ivy League educated drones while the Steve Jobs or Thomas Edison of the future cannot avail himself of an Ivy league background because being a visionary/genius often means operating outside of the box/system, which often runs counter to having really good marks on paper.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I guess what it stems down to is being a realist that acknowledges some races are prone to violence, drugs, and general mayhem.
    first off, you really sound racist. maybe you are, maybe it's only your way to generate a discussion.

but let me tell you this: there is no special gene in "races" that gives them special intellectual and/or psychological attributes like being violent, addicted or just stupid. look at what happened in germany during the second world war; extremely racist, violent and utterly stupid behavior against people of another "race" (let's call it ethnicity from here one, as there really is only one race: humans).

now do you consider germans, or even europeans for that matter, "prone to violence, drugs, and general mayhem."?

the answer always lies in the circumstances of the bigger picture. political reasons, religious reasons, need for ressources... humans are able to do bad things, but this surely is not a matter of their ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post

Studies like this have been done. Your assumptions are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    LOL, Really!?! Yes because the African American, Latino, Native American, Chinese and all others have had their foot on the white man since America was discovered. I mean I remember way back when a white person had to sit in back of the bus or have its own restroom. Oh wait?? 1968, huh? That's barely a generation (every 25 years) of having Jim Crow laws which made it hard to impossible to vote, and outright apartheid in southern states. Even people today such as when Condoleeza Rice spoke at Republican Convention mentioned segregated south and bombing of Birmingham church bombings.

If you really think that affirmitive action is just letting say any minority into a job or college you are very, very ignorant. If you think 25 years is enough for affirmitive action well that is your opinion but again when someone, like Condi Rice who just 5 years ago was Secretary of State knows what it is like to live in a segregated times then that doesn't seem too far away for me.
    i'd actually argue that affirmative action holds blacks and Hispanics down and creates the overly strict Asian households. It tells blacks and Hispanics that they don't have to work as hard for good result... and when the good result(college/job) comes they often find themselves in over their head... they've been set-up for failure. Likewise, the slack that is given to the blacks and Hispanics has to be picked up somewhere. That's where the Asians come in who have to have perfect resumes in to get into good colleges (4.0 average + extra-curricular activities). Affirmative action least affects white people who are in the middle who neither are given extra slack not are the ones who are expected to pickup the extra slack.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 02:32 PM ----------

actually yes, Europeans are always rioting. They even kill over soccer games.