10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Most of those numbers mean nothing to 99% of the people
    That's why they also explain them. I think the only factor that comes to play here is patience, and your background (how easy you pick up on it).
    Think most are overwhelmed by the amount of choice and just pick one and go "screen is a screen". And mostly get drawn in by marketing numbers like contrast ratio and refreshrates/ms latency. Things that are easily manipulated (dynamic contrast) and don't really matter for most. 8ms is still fast enough for 99% of the users. Better put the extra few bucks in getting an IPS instead of TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    That's why they also explain them. I think the only factor that comes to play here is patience, and your background (how easy you pick up on it).
    Think most are overwhelmed by the amount of choice and just pick one and go "screen is a screen". And mostly get drawn in by marketing numbers like contrast ratio and refreshrates/ms latency. Things that are easily manipulated (dynamic contrast) and don't really matter for most. 8ms is still fast enough for 99% of the users. Better put the extra few bucks in getting an IPS instead of TN.
    Wouldn't 16ms technically be enough (0.7 ms less than the duration of a frame at 60 FPS)?

Oh, and you guy might want to take this to the chat thread in Fun Stuff to avoid the wroth of nwn, marest, tG et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Oh, and you guy might want to take this to the chat thread in Fun Stuff to avoid the wroth of nwn, marest, tG et al.
    Good idea.

The thread is getting off-topic, the chat thread would be a perfect place to talk about this stuff!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncutshadow View Post
    I think heavy was a understatement lol ... :/ nearly broke my back getting it up stairs
    Haha I know all about how heavy a cosmos 2 can be bro. Case alone weighs 47lbs, add your gear you easily reach 60lbs. I think mine weighs darn near 80lbs though :x

None the less, nice rig!

Quote Originally Posted by EllishaPally View Post
    Haha I know all about how heavy a cosmos 2 can be bro. Case alone weighs 47lbs, add your gear you easily reach 60lbs. I think mine weighs darn near 80lbs though :x

None the less, nice rig!
    Its silly having abit of issues still trying to cable management behind the mb tray lol .. alot of cables.

10+ Year Old Account
    isn't sli 670 little overkill for 1 screen? apart from the obvious rig-killers like metro2033 there isn't a game i can't max with mine.
    Nice setup though
    I want SLI with 1 schreen for Crysis 3 120hz :S

isn't sli 670 little overkill for 1 screen? apart from the obvious rig-killers like metro2033 there isn't a game i can't max with mine.
    Nice setup though
    Depends on what your refresh rate is. With a 120Hz monitor, no, it's not when running at 1920x1080 with everything turned up.

Deleted
    Complementing my previous post:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Complementing my previous post][/URL]
    On that post, i like the old-skool winamp lite. I still use it too ^^

I got my new Msi Gtx 680 lightning edition and 16gb of Corsair Vengeance in today.
    http://i.imgur.com/pJsFzGD.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/GRUSqNQ.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/tmVF0Dt.jpg
    The 27 inch Lg monitor I got for christmas.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nice setup though
    No dual card setup is overkill on a single monitor aside from GTX 680's or 7970's. I can max out Borderlands 2 and numerous other games with a solid 60 FPS on two 7850's running a single 1080p monitor. It's less overkill when you are talking about 120 Hz screens and 1440p resolutions as well because you need that kind of processing power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    No dual card setup is overkill on a single monitor aside from GTX 680's or 7970's. I can max out Borderlands 2 and numerous other games with a solid 60 FPS on two 7850's running a single 1080p monitor. It's less overkill when you are talking about 120 Hz screens and 1440p resolutions as well because you need that kind of processing power.
    A 7850 CF is nothing like a 670 SLI m8. Anyway, offtopic. The person had a 120hz screen so that makes it a little less overkill.

Well, it's a new year so that means upgrades to the rig. I last posted about my set up back in December 2011. I put all of my upgrades in bold. In short, an updated MOBO to prep for a nwe CPU later on, a new GPU, an additional HDD and an upgraded monitor. (upgrade in quality, not size)

Cooler Master 942 HAF X (with additional 200mm top fan for total 2 intake + 3 exhaust fans)
    ASUS P8Z78 V-PRO Gen3
    i7 2600K OC'd @ 4.4GHz
    Corsair A70 CPU Air Cooler
    8GB DDR3 1600MHZ Corsair Vengeance LP
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG2
    Corsair 750HX PSU
    120GB Intel 320 SSD
    750GB WD Caviar Black
    500GB WD Caviar Black x2
    Additional Red LED internal lighting

Logitech G15 keyboard

Logitech Mx518 Mouse

Razer eXactMat gaming mouse pad

Razer Nostromo programmable game pad

Razer Carcharias Head Set

ASUS VS248H-P 24" @ 1920x1080
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Got my motherboard back and everything is reconfigured, running Windows 8 now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Organoth View Post
    Well, it's a new year so that means upgrades to the rig. I last posted about my set up back in December 2011. I put all of my upgrades in bold. In short, an updated MOBO to prep for a nwe CPU later on, a new GPU, an additional HDD and an upgraded monitor. (upgrade in quality, not size)

ASUS P8Z78 V-PRO Gen3
    What kind of CPU are you looking to get that you couldn't run on your previous Socket 1155 motherboard?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of CPU are you looking to get that you couldn't run on your previous Socket 1155 motherboard?
    Only reason I would see is maybe he had an H67 or H61 before and got the want to overclock, so got Z68. He could upgrade CPU to get Gen 3 PCI-E on his motherboard, but obviously we know his 670 won't saturate a full lane of 2.0 16x, so unless he wants to unlock more lanes for better SLI/TriSLI etc, I don't see the point other than for the overclocking.

Other than his peripherals and case, I approve. *thumbs up*
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Just got my new case today: NZXT Source 210

Got it for $30 from NewEgg on sale.

Before (DiabloTek Elite Case):

After (NZXT Source 210):

This case is so much better, I'm never getting a cheap brand ever again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice job cleaning it up! You're well on your way to learning the ins and outs of cable management and it will start now to always bug you.
    "A flower.

The GEN 3 has the PCI 3.0 support and PCI 3.0 requires a 28nm CPU. Yes the original board I had supported the 28nm chips but not PCI 3.0. It was not an actual purchase upgrade for the board. I had to RMA my original board, it died after like 3 months, and the replacement they sent me was the GEN 3 model. I did not have to pay for it but it's still a change/upgrade from my original post.

I originally was not going to bother with a CPU upgrade this generation but with Intel's plan on soldering chips directly to MOBOs, I will probably have to make a CPU upgrade on my current system. That upgrade will allow me to take advantage of PCI 3.0. A board can have PCI 3.0 but it still uses 2.0 if you have a 32nm CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Only reason I would see is maybe he had an H67 or H61 before and got the want to overclock, so got Z68. He could upgrade CPU to get Gen 3 PCI-E on his motherboard, but obviously we know his 670 won't saturate a full lane of 2.0 16x, so unless he wants to unlock more lanes for better SLI/TriSLI etc, I don't see the point other than for the overclocking.

Other than his peripherals and case, I approve. *thumbs up*
    Yes I know a single GPU won't max PCI 2.0, but it's all about upgrades as I go along here. But with the rumors I am hearing about Titan I may break the bank and do a step-up with EVGA. I need to see some trustworthy benchmarks first though.

My mouse and keyboard are outdated but since I don't use my keyboard for gaming there is no reason to upgrade. I really only bought my G15 for the LCD screen to use to monitor stuff in game. Every time I start shopping around for a new mouse though I can't justify the cost. My mouse works just fine. I don't do anything that requires super precious tracking like sniping or anything like that.

Also I will never give up Razer Nostromo. I've been using a Nostromo for like 6 years now, since it was made by Belkin. It's a thousand times better then using a keyboard.

But what's wrong with my case? I'll take big quit fans over little noisy ones any day. People who want to cram everything into tiny little cases are the same people who complain about temps and/or fan noise. For an air cooled rig the HAF X is tough to beat.
    Last edited by Organoth; 2013-02-02 at 12:23 AM.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

10+ Year Old Account
    Your mouse is good, but I'd prefer a mechanical keyboard anyday. I used to use a G15, and it was good... then I used mechanical. Never again!

I have a HAF X too, and sure it has big fans... that's about its only redeeming quality. The build quality is really lacking when you compare it to cases made by the likes of SilverStone, Corsair, and Fractal.
    "A flower.