Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Game Update Notes - January 28, 2013 (Flame and Frost: Prelude)

The patch is out and here's the update notes.

Some good stuff in there, I like it.

Looks like Orichalcum will shoot through the roof again...

The Orichalcum vein in Southsun Cove is now a regular vein instead of a rich vein.

10+ Year Old Account
    Polished dungeons and removed the ability to use waypoints while any player is in combat.

This will be interesting.
    Arukas

Honestly, I think it is much "broader" than what I expected (in fixing terms let's say). I love the loot/dungeons/Orr changes.

Still missing some balancing issues, but I guess that's to come next patch.

Quote Originally Posted by arukas View Post
    Polished dungeons and removed the ability to use waypoints while any player is in combat.

This will be interesting.
    VERY MUCH. Finally bosses require a little bit more cooperation and team play, this indeed will be very interesting.

I did get a chuckle out of most of the class adjustments being just more tooltip fixes. Bbwhaha.

Orr got a lot more fixing than I expected, classes got a lot less adjusting than I expected. It's also reading like the prices of crafting materials in general should be going down with increased drop rates + crafting bags for laurels.

Not sure how I feel about uncommon or higher loot showing up in chests instead of on the corpses though. Remains to be seen, but I would have set that to rare or higher not uncommon.

Achievement tracking, yay.

This is by far my favorite part though:

A new, unique miniature: Chauncey von Snuffles III, who placed second in the Divinity’s Reach Fanciest Cat competition

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I did get a chuckle out of most of the class adjustments being just more tooltip fixes. Bbwhaha.
    How do you define "most"? lol

Profession Skills
    General
    Cancelling executing skills that have no recharge via the [Escape] key or stowing weapons will now trigger a 0.5-second cooldown for that skill.
    Gadgets placed by players (such as turrets) will now apply boons and conditions based on those players’ stats. Those conditions and boons will not be reduced to level-1 values when the triggering gadget is destroyed.
    Updated skill facts.

Elementalist
    Fixed a bug that caused several spells, including Tornado, Arcane Shield, and most frequently Whirlpool, to sometimes fail to display any graphics.
    Arcane Power: The number of uses on this skill’s effect will now decrease if an attack lands or if the attack is negated by Blind, Block, Evade, Obstructed, or Invulnerable.
    Arc Lightning: Fixed a bug which would cause this skill’s animation effects to continue playing after the skill ended.
    Evasive Arcana: This trait no longer enables players to break knockback effects.
    Glyph of Renewal: Increased this skill’s cast time while underwater from 1 second to 3.5 seconds.
    Ice Spikes: This skill now appropriately displays area-of-effect rings.
    Rock Spray: Skill facts for this skill now display the proper distance and bleed damage.
    Vapor Form: This skill will no longer allow players to rally off of kills that grant zero experience. This skill will now also properly restore death state on completion.

Engineer
    Removed collision from engineer turrets that were causing player pathing issues.
    Elixir X: Fixed a bug where this skill’s tooltip did not reflect the cooldown reduction from Fast-Acting Elixirs.
    Hair Trigger: Fixed a bug which prevented this trait from working correctly for some skills.
    Healing Turret: Fixed issues with this skill’s description when the Deployable Turrets trait was equipped.
    Incendiary Ammo: The number of uses on this skill’s effect will now decrease if an attack lands or if the attack is negated by Blind, Block, Evade, Obstructed, or Invulnerable.Reinforced Shield: Fixed a bug which prevented this trait from reducing Static Shield’s cooldown if the Throw Shield skill was activated.
    Reserve Mines: This trait’s area-of-effect rings now display the appropriate area that they can be triggered at.
    Speedy Gadgets: Fixed a bug that prevented this trait from reducing the cooldown of Throw Mine.
    Toss Elixir S: This skill will no longer remove transforms from players.

Guardian
    Absolute Resolution: This trait now functions with Battle Presence.
    Battle Presence: This trait no longer misses pulses or spams “immune” text.
    Empower: This skill now appropriately applies might for 10 seconds.
    Selfless Daring: This trait no longer enables players to break knockback effects.
    Shield of the Avenger: Fixed the damage displayed in this skill’s Command variant.
    Spirit weapons are now susceptible to attacks.
    Sword of Justice: Fixed the damage displayed the descriptions for this skill and its Command variant.
    Sword Wave: This skill is now able to strike gadgets that are low to the ground.
    Zealot’s Flame: Added burning information to this skill’s description.

Mesmer
    Cleansing Conflagration: This trait should now remove a condition at the beginning of The Prestige instead of at the end of the skill.
    Duelist’s Discipline: This trait no longer reduces damage dealt by the Illusionary Duelist.
    Illusion of Life: This skill should no longer allow players to rally off of creatures that grant no experience.
    Portal Exeunt: Updated the skill fact of this skill to reflect the actual duration. Also added a description to the Portal Uses marker.

Necromancer
    Fixed a bug that caused some minions to be overly aggressive.
    Mark of Evasion: This trait no longer enables players to break knockback effects.
    Necrotic Traversal: Fixed a bug which caused this skill’s descriptionto display an incorrect amount of poison damage.
    Spinal Shivers: Fixed a bug which caused this skill to enter its full cooldown if used when facing away from the target.

Ranger
    Fixed a bug where aquatic ranger pets could sometimes get on land.
    Drake Pet: This pet will now activate its Tail Swipe skill on a regular basis, and the casting time of that skill has been reduced by 1.25 seconds.
    Entangle: This skill’s bleed effects now properly scale with condition damage and duration.
    Sharpening Stone: The number of uses on this skill’s effect will now decrease if an attack lands or if the attack is negated by Blind, Block, Evade, Obstructed, or Invulnerable.
    Opening Strikes: The number of uses on this skill’s effect will now decrease if an attack lands or if the attack is negated by Blind, Block, Evade, Obstructed, or Invulnerable.

Thief
    Leeching Venoms: This trait no longer affects gadgets.
    Shadow Refuge: Added a radius skill fact to this skill’s description.
    Smoke Screen: This skill’s blinding pulse no longer follows the thief.
    Spider Venom: The number of uses on this skill’s effect will now decrease if an attack lands or if the attack is negated by Blind, Block, Evade, Obstructed, or Invulnerable.
    Devourer Venom: The number of uses on this skill’s effect will now decrease if an attack lands or if the attack is negated by Blind, Block, Evade, Obstructed, or Invulnerable.
    Ice Drake Venom: The number of uses on this skill’s effect will now decrease if an attack lands or if the attack is negated by Blind, Block, Evade, Obstructed, or Invulnerable.
    Skale Venom: The number of uses on this skill’s effect will now decrease if an attack lands or if the attack is negated by Blind, Block, Evade, Obstructed, or Invulnerable.
    Basilisk Venom: The number of uses on this skill’s effect will now decrease if an attack lands or if the attack is negated by Blind, Block, Evade, Obstructed, or Invulnerable.
    Assassin’s Signet: The number of uses on this skill’s effect will now decrease if an attack lands or if the attack is negated by Blind, Block, Evade, Obstructed, or Invulnerable.

Warrior
    Arcing Slice: Updated this skill’s description to correctly state the boon it applies.
    Banner of Strength: This skill’s descriptions have been updated.
    Banner of Discipline: This skill’s descriptions have been updated.
    Banner of Tactics: This skill’s descriptions have been updated.
    Empowered: This trait should now appropriately increase damage for the Stability boon.
    Reckless Dodge: This trait no longer enables players to break knockback effects.
    Vengeance: This skill is no longer able to rally a player off of kills that grant zero experience.
    Valar morghulis

Quite the big download. I hope there isn't anything serious that gets broken with this patch. I always get nervous with ArenaNet's patches.

Does anyone know if these new Flame and Frost related events are for a limited time, and if so, how long for? Playing a bunch of other games at the moment, but don't want to miss out on any events, so would probably log in to check them out if they are limited.

Not sure Mothhive. This is an ongoing progressive event I believe. I imagine you can see what there is now if you login and play within the next couple of weeks.

It looks like they're adding quite a bit of stuff to do on a daily basis to be entertained and that's exactly what the game needs, so that's awesome.

Also: "Character load times in WvW have been improved through the use of preloaded placeholder models."

Last edited by Rukh; 2013-01-28 at 10:00 PM.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

daily for today (for me at least)
    "Daily Aquatic Slayer" uh, okay'
    "Daily Combo Killer" wtf!
    Daily Gatherer, meh
    Daily CRAFTER? seems a waste
    Daily Events, meh

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    Does anyone know if these new Flame and Frost related events are for a limited time, and if so, how long for? Playing a bunch of other games at the moment, but don't want to miss out on any events, so would probably log in to check them out if they are limited.
    The events should run till next content patch which from what it sounds like is the next phase of flame and frost.

I think anet nailed it on the head that 3 day one time events are a no no.

Well at the very least it looks like the dailies will be varied from day to day, svif

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well at the very least it looks like the dailies will be varied from day to day, svif
    I really can't believe people on the main forums are bitching about the combo field daily. Combo fields are activated by almost anything... I don't understand the problem. Its a daily achievement for things you do... on a daily basis.

Get it threw your heads people.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I really can't believe people on the main forums are bitching about the combo field daily. Combo fields are activated by almost anything... I don't understand the problem. Its a daily achievement for things you do... on a daily basis.

I can believe it. People will bitch about anything, even trivial stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Yeah, not worried about it, just seems an oddly "random" thing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    daily for today (for me at least)
    "Daily Aquatic Slayer" uh, okay'
    "Daily Combo Killer" wtf!
    Daily Gatherer, meh
    Daily CRAFTER? seems a waste
    Daily Events, meh
    Well, that's a lot better than what I expected. Although, I have to admit I was also taken aback a little by the combo field one. Maybe it's to teach people like me to l2p. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post

It depends on other people, which some days is not a problem, other days it can be. Minor issue, but with Chauncey being 75 laurels, I'd like stuff that I can be sure of doing every day.

They do vary, so we'll see what's next, plus the other system whereby you can complete 4/6 or whatever, but it seems unlikely I'll get 75 any time soon anyway.