Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Not enough effort, and I'm an optimist

I do not think they are puting enough effort into MoP for how much money they rack in each year. Hell even each month. I mean think about it. 10 million times $15 each month.

I realize they also have to pay for developing Titan & the next WoW expac(s), plus pay all the employees. But even as an optimist I am feeling like we are really getting skimped on content (5.2 does not look particularly exciting to me, dinosaurs and rehashed terrain/mogu architecture. the map of the new area is pretty small as well).

But at the end of all of this, I would like to say I've played WoW since 04 and I still love it
    Think for yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's a lot more than just them needing "to pay for developing Titan & the next WoW expac(s), plus pay all the employees"

Playing since '04

Yeah obviously. there is a ton left over.
    Think for yourself.

wut? I can't imagine what amount of content will satisfy you if 5.2 doesn't. There has never been bigger content patch than 5.2...

10+ Year Old Account
    Um... we're getting a freaking gigantic raid, the biggest since Ulduar, with incredibly complex encounter mechanics (watch the videos of Lei Shin if you have any doubts), a TON of class balance changes, all new tier, all new raid gear, all new PvP gear, tons of classic gear restored through Blacksmithing, new scenarios, new battle pets, new mounts, remodels of many creatures and many all new models as well.. not to mention many adjustments to 5.0/5.1 content, all new currency for 5.2 content, new dailies, new faction, new reps, new story/lore, etc etc. All coming hot off the heels of 5.1, which arrived itself all of 2 months after Mists hit.

What the hell is lacking in effort about all of that, exactly? Its probably the most feature-packed patch they've ever released, or that has been released for an MMO. Are your expectations seriously that unreasonable?

Compared to when? We have never gotten so much content in so little time before, in 8 years. They now have more people working on the WOW team than they've had before, last we heard it was 160 developers, and for Mists of Pandaria they specifically created a second patch team that works on new patches at the same time as the main patch team. That's 2 patch teams working at the same time. Granted one patch team makes smaller 5.1 scale patches while the other makes 5.2 patches, but you imply perhaps there was some better era in the last 8 years content wise.

We have never had this much stuff to do. You are no optimist.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    We have never had this much stuff to do.
    Quality > Quantity

Quote Originally Posted by Phasma View Post
    Quality > Quantity
    This. Overall the things we get are easly burned trough inn around 2 weeks, exspect the new season-grinding and raiding ofcourse.

I just miss the days where one could easly spend 50 hours a week on wow and not feel bored. Yes im a pathetic nerd, but thats me...

Edit: Maybe they exspect people to do daylies `? Guess that would help if you feel you have little to do inn MOP, but if daylies aint fun inn the first place!
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't you just take a break from the game when you run out of content in the next patch?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goreheart View Post
    I do not think they are puting enough effort into MoP for how much money they rack in each year. Hell even each month. I mean think about it. 10 million times $15 each month.

I realize they also have to pay for developing Titan & the next WoW expac(s), plus pay all the employees. But even as an optimist I am feeling like we are really getting skimped on content (5.2 does not look particularly exciting to me, dinosaurs and rehashed terrain/mogu architecture. the map of the new area is pretty small as well).

But at the end of all of this, I would like to say I've played WoW since 04 and I still love it
    Your figures are way off.

Quality > Quantity
    lol are you trying to say that 5.2 lacks quality? It has BOTH quality and quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    This. Overall the things we get are easly burned trough inn around 2 weeks, exspect the new season-grinding and raiding ofcourse.

I just miss the days where one could easly spend 50 hours a week on wow and not feel bored. Yes im a pathetic nerd, but thats me...

Edit: Maybe they exspect people to do daylies `? Guess that would help if you feel you have little to do inn MOP, but if daylies aint fun inn the first place!
    What days were these?

Seriously, Vanilla we had less things to do than now. It was worse then on my shaman as it was cripplingly expensive to respec. I had to farm endlessly in felwood for raid materials (nights dragon etc) There were some battlegrounds but I could only do those when I scrapped enough cash and materials to afford to raid for that evening. There were no daily quests to easily earn gold and then there were dungeons to do. Unless I knew I was getting a good group I didn't bother as any wipes would cost me gold! (I did a lot of strat scarlet runs for orbs)

TBC, true the begining of that expac had a lot of content loads of dungeons a horrible gating system to get into heroics (people whine about ilevel requirement try getting enough reputation with a faction to do a heroic linked to that faction.....) dailies were brought in during tbc and were quite good. my shamans other specs were viable in raids so I went enhancement for the first time and loved it. Aside from dungeons and raids and some farming for materials there was nothing to do really I think if memory serves dailies were capped at 25 per day?

Wrath - plenty of dailies and raid content on release - dungeons and heroics were more accessible. rep grinding was easier via the tabard (I got exalted very fast on the shaman) battlegrounds were ok but I was pretty much done with pvp by this point aside WG.

Cata - I felt this had the least options available outside of dungeons and raids for me.

So far in MOP we have dailies - some I hate some I love (shieldwall <3) pet battles are freaking awesome and collecting pets in old raids is a fun element one I hope they introduce to more old raid content. Not done challenge modes yet as I have yet to get a proper squad for it only got 3 of us but we will get round to it. lots of raid content - reputation is a bit of a grind and kinda off putting but its not too bad. scenarios are quite fun pretty good when I cba to tank a dungeon. LFR makes raiding so much simpler for me. I don't have the time to do hardcore raiding so im doing LFR only now with 2 friends its a blast if i'm honest.

The content for mop is probably the most i've seen at a start of an expansion so far more so than end game Vanilla had in terms of options.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quality > Quantity
    Then you don't know how to keep players in an MMO. :3
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

What the other people have said, but I'll add that Blizzard have said themselves that just spending money on more people isn't a sure-fire way to success.
    Just think of the old saying 'too many cooks spoil the broth', it's the same with WoW. Blizz hires specialized people, not just anybody (so they are hiring and whatnot), but to just hire people en masse would be ridiculous and just ruin things.

Personally I think the content available atm is perfect, I'm not having any complaints, but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    If what I was saying weren't true, then why doesn't everyone have "the Insane" title? That's a lot of content, but so many people have yet to complete the requirements! I mean, people have had 8 years. I highly doubt this is the thing keeping them in the game.
    Last edited by Phasma; 2013-01-29 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Real gamers don't think this is alright. Real gamers don't play MMOs.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

Real Gamers are True Scotsman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    We have never had this much stuff to do. You are no optimist.
    Oh, he is an optimist. He's very optimistic about what a dev studio can do with a certain amount of money and time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    Real gamers don't play MMOs.
    I like it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Your figures are way off.
    Pretty much, a big part of the player base is in asia, and they got a different model for paying then EU/US, i think they pay per each hour they play, hence blizzard makes less money of them.

Waiting for the bad Q4 reports and what their excuse will be.

I have to agree that Scenarios, Speed runs and Pet battles was wasted content development time.