Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

8 years and still using the arrow keys to move

I have a couple cousins who like to pvp. I introduced them to the game when it first came out and they just fell in love with it.

The one thing that bothers me is how they play. I know its none of my business but it irks me knowing they use arrow keys and click every spell they use.

I showed them how to keybind and use the left side of the keyboard to move and what would be good keybind keys to use ...but they refuse to try my suggestions.

I would get in serious arguments with them when they would cry to me how the horde are over powered and they keep getting ganked out in the world even though they always have the most current conquest gear on. All they do is bg so i'm guessing they are used to not having to play properly.

Back when karazhan was progression I had a guildie come visit me and have a few beers with a couple of his guildmates. He drove down and brought his computer with him so we could all game together. By the way he was our raid healer..anyways we all log in and then I notice he uses the arrow keys and clicks everything. I was blown away because he was our best healer.

I guess what i'm trying to say is. Is it a common thing to use the arrow keys for movement?

My friend used to, until I slapped that shit out of him. Using Arrow keys (along with keyboard turning and clicking) is terrible.

@Thassarian

friend of mine used to do this too, click alot, use keys for moving; but fact is you don't HAVE to keybind everything and always move with mouse to raid competetively; pvp is another matter.

Gtfo, you'd spent time playing games on computers before me wheras my experience before I came to WoW was mainly consoles.

Screw you.

@Treelife

Arrow key healing isn't so bad, PvPing is mind blowing

I used to click everything when I first started WoW, and I stuck with doing that until about 3 years after I first started and I actually managed to get pretty far (managed 2k in arena when clicking as a druid healer and got pretty far when I still tanked with him in raids). But once I started to keybind, I never went back to clicking because I don't think I could go back. So the clicking part I don't think it too bad, I can't imagine how they play with the arrow keys, I never did that.

I wouldn't call it "common"... Obviously there are people who still use the arrow keys to move, just like there are people who choose to use click-to-move (that aren't bots), but I doubt they are out there in significant numbers.

Even people who use a minimal amount of keybinds (I know people who only use 1-6 and click everything else, even after playing for eight years) would agree that it is more ideal than no keybinds at all.

(P.S. ESDF ftw! )
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-01-29 at 04:06 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    and? if it works for you it works. If they really want to get better they will most likely figure out a way to improve wether its using other means of controlling the character or not (though it most likely will be).

On a sidenote allways "fun" to go back to play Doom on the PC after using the setup new games got.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Arrow keys? That sounds like a horrible time like I used arrows keys in Vanillia that's right AND I was a clicker I was boss :P but no it is absolutely NOT common.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use awd + the mouse to move.
    Don't use sqe tho, their bound to scatter/trap, bullheaded and bestial wrath.
    I guess if you are left handed using arrow keys could work, but even then you should probably use IJL or something instead.
    Then you still have easy access to the second set of alt shift and crtl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I guess what i'm trying to say is. Is it a common thing to use the arrow keys for movement?
    Had a Guildmate that was a lefty and he used the numberpad for all his attacks and used his Left hand for the mouse. He was a fine tank and did just as good as everyone else in arenas. But we told him he had to play like a righty or get kicked because we didn't like how used the keyboard versus the way we used the keyboard.

Have a friend that plays First person shooters and uses the arrow keys and number pads as well. Really leftys should be banned from video games!
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-01-29 at 04:04 PM.

Should obviously be executed
    /sarcasm

They do not want to change you can't make them, just get a sign so when they complain about being beaten you can wave it at them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use clique to heal on my main, and tend to move with the arrow keys, while in combat, because I find it gives me easier access to alt, control and shift with my pinky for clique combinations.
    Though I use wasd and and keybinds for all of my alts.

Keyboard turning and clicking is one thing, but what the hell is wrong with using the arrow keys? I am left handed and use the arrow keys for all games going back to the 90s. It's no different than WASD. I use the numbpad and the 6 keys above for hotkeys with control and shit+control for variables.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I guess they are set in their ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    but what the fuck is wrong with using the arrow keys?.
    Because you're different! I mean, being a lefty is like being a freaking GNOME! NO ONE LIKES YOU! RAWR! Nerd rage and all that cool stuff!

10+ Year Old Account
    Keyboard turning and clicking is one thing, but what the hell is wrong with using the arrow keys? I am left handed and use the arrow keys for all games going back to the 90s. It's no different than WASD. I use the numbpad and the 6 keys above for hotkeys with control and shit+control for variables.
    I see what you are saying but that would be totally uncomfortable for me. I like to keep the keyboard on my lap when i play.

My girlfriend used to use arrow keys and click. One day when she went AFK to walk the dog, I went into her key bindings and unbound the arrow keys and swapped her WASD keys with the arrow keys. It took some getting used to, but after a couple of weeks she got used to it, and I got out of the doghouse.

If it works for someone (like your raid healer), let them be. For people that it's not working for (your friends and my gf) it's a habit that should probably be corrected to make their quality of (game) life better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Because you're different! I mean, being a lefty is like being a freaking GNOME! NO ONE LIKES YOU! RAWR! Nerd rage and all that cool stuff!
    Sir, I am most certainly not a gnome.

I use the numbpad and the 6 keys above for hotkeys with control and shit+control for variables.
    Not to mention most mouses today can easily keybind 6+ buttons.
    Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.

Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon