Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New Immigration Reform

Looks like Obama is doing it right.

"To earn the opportunity for citizenship, Obama said undocumented immigrants must first pass a background check, learn English, pay a penalty, and then get "in the back of the line" behind people trying to come to America legally."

Millions of undocumented immigrants would get immediate but provisional status to live and work in the United States, under the compromise plan crafted by the senate group. That outline also called for strengthening border controls, improved monitoring of visitors and cracking down on hiring undocumented workers

Sweet. Its about damn time. Call your Reps and tell them to back the president on this one, or GTFO of office next election.

It would be cheaper just to grant the undocumented immigrants citizenship then it would be to deport them as they would then be forced to pay taxes like the rest of us, and companies could no longer use them for cheap labor. Also most of the legal ones don't speak English anyways.
    Last edited by muto; 2013-01-29 at 10:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Millions of undocumented immigrants would get immediate but provisional status to live and work in the United States, under the compromise plan crafted by the senate group.
    Well that is a terrible idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    It would be cheaper just to grant the undocumented immigrants citizenship then it would be to deport them as they would then be forced to pay taxes like the rest of us, and companies could no longer use them for cheap labor. Also most of the legal ones don't speak English anyways.
    I think thats why hes going with the "soft" amnesty here ~ so they can become taxable entities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Well that is a terrible idea.
    Why do you say that?

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 10:57 PM ----------

I think thats why hes going with the "soft" amnesty here ~ so they can become taxable entities.
    Most of them that aren't like farm workers do pay taxes though. They just have to use stolen Social Security info and such to do so. At least when I used to work a restaurant in a previous life, all our Mexican and Salvadorean workers paid taxes. I'm pretty sure at least some of them were in the US illegally.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Why do you say that?[COLOR="red"]
    I feel like it will be too similar to the 1986 amnesty program which lead to the major increase in illegal immigration that followed in the 90's and 00's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Why do you say that?

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 10:57 PM ----------

Most of them that aren't like farm workers do pay taxes though. They just have to use stolen Social Security info and such to do so. At least when I used to work a restaurant in a previous life, all our Mexican and Salvadorean workers paid taxes. I'm pretty sure at least some of them were in the US illegally.
    Agreed somewhat ~ But in Texas alone, there are so many illegals in construction that dont pay taxes, that has to put a burden somewhere in the system.

I think this "soft amnesty" (I dont want to call full blown amnesty, because its not ) will help lessen that burden.

Plus you have to look at the social fear these guys live under ~ there is a lot of crime in the illegal immigrant community because they are afraid to speak out or call the police because they dont want to be asked "where are your papers". This will help them get on the track to citizenship.

IMO Obama is helping out the state by saying he wants to help strengthen our borders too. I see a big win for Texas if this passes. And thats coming from a hardcore libertarian like my self.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2013-01-29 at 11:10 PM.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'll believe it when it happens before the Republicans in-act Rule No.1 (disagree with anything the black guy says) and Obama turns it into some abomination that the Republicans want then they turn around and say it's unconstitutional.

<Achievement Earned: Politically fulled run-on sentence>
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's also give Republicans some credit. This was a bipartisan committee. From the details I have seen, it looks fair.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    Quite frankly I don't trust Obama, the Democrats, or the GOP on this issue. In 1986 they cooked up a reform plan. It was very similar to this one. They granted the "amnesty-lite" then too. It solved nothing because they never got serious about enforcing the laws and securing the border. To this day Obama routinely refuses to enforce his own federal laws regarding immigration - even going so far as to threaten & prosecute people who do. So I wouldn't trust Obama as far as I could spit him. The law could be written in an ironclad fashion with all the right stuff in it, and he'd just turn around and ignore it whatever parts he didn't like. He has a pattern of this shenanigan. Pass a law, keep the stuff he likes, ignore the stuff he doesn't. Especially when flaps his yap and says he has no intention of signing any law that "secures the border". Please. Any law that doesn't secure the border as the first order of business is worthless.

Immigration isn't a hard issue. It is extremely simple. You secure the border first, and then deal with what's left. No surprise that securing the border is the single thing Obama is REFUSING to do, because it would be the only thing that would really work.

(disagree with anything the black guy says)
    Both prejudiced AND incorrect. No surprise on this either.

I'm all for it if it also includes drone strikes along the Mexican border.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Got to admit I didn't see him having the brass to put "learn English" as a prerequisite!

I like it. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    Immigration isn't a hard issue. It is extremely simple. You secure the border first...
    And then you are stuck forever at this step of your genius plan. As long as you are letting ANYONE in - illegals will get through. You have to do the Iron Curtain approach to really cut down on illegal immigration, but that would require pretty much closing your borders to everyone with few strict exceptions. You can't run a market economy from behind the Iron Curtain.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

I'm okay with this learning English and paying a fine is a good start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Obama is doing it right.

"To earn the opportunity for citizenship, Obama said undocumented immigrants must first pass a background check, learn English, pay a penalty, and then get "in the back of the line" behind people trying to come to America legally."

Millions of undocumented immigrants would get immediate but provisional status to live and work in the United States, under the compromise plan crafted by the senate group. That outline also called for strengthening border controls, improved monitoring of visitors and cracking down on hiring undocumented workers

Sweet. Its about damn time. Call your Reps and tell them to back the president on this one, or GTFO of office next election.
    Rather than reward them Id rather ship them all out and THEN tell them to get in the back of the line behind the honest people doing it the legal way. Ill be sure to call my senators and tell them to block this legislation or GTFO next election. Why should criminals get rewarded when the honest people choosing the legal route get screwed

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 07:20 PM ----------

Plus you have to look at the social fear these guys live under ~ there is a lot of crime in the illegal immigrant community because they are afraid to speak out or call the police because they dont want to be asked "where are your papers". This will help them get on the track to citizenship.
    They wouldnt have to worry about social fear if they would have followed the proper way to become a citizen rather than be a criminal and sneak in. Its their own damn fault, and I have no sympathy for them

Time to plant another money tree. Inviting people who ruined their country into yours isnt a good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    Quite frankly I don't trust Obama, the Democrats, or the GOP on this issue. In 1986 they cooked up a reform plan. It was very similar to this one. They granted the "amnesty-lite" then too. It solved nothing because they never got serious about enforcing the laws and securing the border. To this day Obama routinely refuses to enforce his own federal laws regarding immigration - even going so far as to threaten & prosecute people who do. So I wouldn't trust Obama as far as I could spit him. The law could be written in an ironclad fashion with all the right stuff in it, and he'd just turn around and ignore it whatever parts he didn't like. He has a pattern of this shenanigan. Pass a law, keep the stuff he likes, ignore the stuff he doesn't. Especially when flaps his yap and says he has no intention of signing any law that "secures the border". Please. Any law that doesn't secure the border as the first order of business is worthless.

Immigration isn't a hard issue. It is extremely simple. You secure the border first, and then deal with what's left. No surprise that securing the border is the single thing Obama is REFUSING to do, because it would be the only thing that would really work.

Both prejudiced AND incorrect. No surprise on this either.
    Exactly. We could fix the whole illegal immigration problem if we just controlled our borders the same way North Korea controls theirs. Granted its the ONLY thing they do right

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 07:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Time to plant another money tree. Inviting people who ruined their country into yours isnt a good idea.
    Yeah, why do we never get the smart, well to do, and financially stable people sneaking into the country. Its always the drains on welfare and society and criminals

Mexico kills how many people everyday trying to get into their country from the southern border? Yet demand we open ours. This type of double standard is becoming quite common in todays society.

"Its always the drains on welfare and society and criminals "

I have educated friends who try to get in to this country legally, no idea why they are refused yet the people you described are welcomed with open arms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps you anti-immigration demagogues don't realise, but migrant labor happens to form the basis of agriculture and blue-collar industry for a significant portion of the country. Immigration is an organic necessity for a first world country to maintain a steady rate of population growth; furthermore, those that come here -do- want to be Americanized. America's immigration 'problem' is not really as problematic as the media would have you believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Perhaps you anti-immigration demagogues don't realise, but migrant labor happens to form the basis of agriculture and blue-collar industry for a significant portion of the country. Immigration is an organic necessity for a first world country to maintain a steady rate of population growth; furthermore, those that come here -do- want to be Americanized. America's immigration 'problem' is not really as problematic as the media would have you believe.
    Check out how much they are costing in prisons, schools and hospitals and ask why are we paying for them?

If your life is so bad why do you have 12 kids? They can never answer that question, only claim to be victims.