Poll: What do you think?

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I'd like a shaman tank spec, but if it means giving every other class a 4th then no thank you. What's the point in adding another dps spec to a class that already has 3 for example...more balancing issues, hooray.
    Well in my OP, I gave every "pure" class either a healing or a tanking spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I'd like a shaman tank spec, but if it means giving every other class a 4th then no thank you.
    So it's okay if your class gets a 4 spec, but you don't want anybody else to have a 4th spec? LOL

Well I don't think they should all get a fourth spec all at once.
    It's a bit too much, they should start with rather obvious ones, or highly demanded ones.
    Than perhaps get the creative juices flowing for some interesting fourth specs.

Death Knight - Necromancer - plate caster
    Warlock - Demon Hunter - cloth melee dps or tank

Maybe...

Mage - Battle Mage/ Spell Breaker? - Caster tank?

From there I think we can start to look out classes who had weird talents back in vanilla and BC. For example the shaman with tanking stuff in enhancement tree and there's been times were Shockadin was for holly pally's came and went. As far as two-handers for shamans I think enhancement should be overhauled to be d/w and two hand capable, much like frost DK's.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they ever did this, I seriously doubt we'd see a DK Necromancer spec. It'll just be too much like Unholy.

A fourth spec option would be the perfect opportunity to unleash a DH spec though.

I like the idea, but seeing how much trouble they go through to balance 1 new class I can't imagine what it'd take to balance 10.

"So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

The only real issue I can see with adding a 4th spec for everyone is Balance problems. Even now every spec is not balanced, adding 10 more would make the problem even worse. Not saying it's impossible but with Blizzards approach to these things I can't see it working well.

I would rather see some kind of Class or spec "ultimate" abilities that are really awesome and add something unique.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    Nah, that thread was more about a pvp specific spec for each class. This is more along the lines of making a new spec for each class, and expanding the general concept of each class. It's also about the content of the next expansion, since blizzard already introduced a new race AND class in MoP.

I just don't see them bringing in another class when Monks and Rouge populations are struggling. I'm also having a hard time believing that there will be a new race in WoW as well. However, it has to be something along those lines. You can't release an expansion without a new race or class in it.

4th specs and new models would be a reasonable alternative.

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 11:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    The only real issue I can see with adding a 4th spec for everyone is Balance problems. Even now every spec is not balanced, adding 10 more would make the problem even worse. Not saying it's impossible but with Blizzards approach to these things I can't see it working well.

I would rather see some kind of Class or spec "ultimate" abilities that are really awesome and add something unique.
    Isn't that what max level abilities are in every expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Isn't that what max level abilities are in every expansion?
    sometimes, but not always. on WotLK, metamorphosis really was an ultimate ability for demo locks. on MoP, ascendance really is an ultimate ability for shamans. but can you tell me with a straight face that blinding light is an ultimate ability for paladins? lol

the problem is that you can't have 2 ultimate abilities, for the very definition of the word ultimate. it has to be an awesome looking and powerful ability, with something limitating it's use (like a CD or demonic fury). so those who already have something like that can't get a new one on the new expansions, esle they'll get too awesome at the expense of others.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Clash1 View Post
    So it's okay if your class gets a 4 spec, but you don't want anybody else to have a 4th spec? LOL
    I agree with the statement and I don't main a druid.

I think people greatly overestimate the importance of the number of specs in class imbalance.

you know what really really impairs class balance? player inertial resistance. the average joe HATES it when everything keeps changing too fast. he'd rather do 5% less dps than affliction warlocks than having to "relearn to play". so blizz has to be conservative with class imbalance fixes. not too often, not too hard.

(I'll use warlock tanks a lot as an example here, but I'm talking about 4th specs in general)

10 more specs is probably easier to make and balance than one new class, because new classes require additional mechanics to be compelling, while new specs are just more of the same old shit. put tanking mechanics on warlock mechanics and you have warlock tanks (which was already done in dark apotheosis. they had to nerf it to make it not be able to keep up with proper tanks).

quantitative class balance (dps, hps, mitigation) is done by running simulations and doing calculations. do you think they do it by hand, in a paper? of course not. they use computers for that.

qualitative class balance (CCs, movement, interrupts, et cetera) is done by listening and analyzing feedback. with 10 million players, do you think warlock tanks will somehow diminish paladin tank feedback? of course not.

the only great challenge in making 10 new specs is making sure they are all unique, and not copy paste of each other. considering specs are expected to have some similarities with other specs in the same class, that's much easier to do by adding new specs to old classes than making a new class from scratch. a warlock tank spec can be similar to demonology, as long as it's not doing the same thing as demonology. they feel similar, but one tanks while the other is dps. that's unique enough.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

I wholehearted support this idea... I'd even go as far to say it would give the devs a chance to refocus some gameplay issues of certain classes by making class abilities into spec abilities... therefore easier to balance. It would also be a great time to really define specs to make them feel different if they don't already... looking at Rogues here. I have faith that Blizzard could make this work.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope that they dont add a 4th spec for every class. There is no real reason for it and would be a disaster balance wise. They have a hard enough time with 11 34 specs, why make it 43?
    <Semi Retired> - Recruiting for 9.2!

The only realistic 4th spec is a shaman tank spec. But i guess blizz has other prio's...

Quote Originally Posted by rogas View Post
    The only realistic 4th spec is a shaman tank spec. But i guess blizz has other prio's...
    The only realistic 4th spec out of all classes? Um how about DK's and their DW/2h tanking/dps counterparts?

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    The only realistic 4th spec out of all classes? Um how about DK's and their DW/2h tanking/dps counterparts?
    enhancement shaman is allready on the brink of being a tank... some minor adjustments and it's a tank. Don't see a dk or warrior being able to heal with tiny minor adjustments...

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There won't be a new class because we've already got one.

4th spec?, let's hope that never ever happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Well in my OP, I gave every "pure" class either a healing or a tanking spec.
    Some people play pures because they don't want to be forced into tanking or healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    4th spec would be like wondering if they should add diesel cars to replace our mounts.

It simply doesn't fit in the game.

On one hand, I can see it happening. There's a lot of gear drops these days that are barely used. (eg. Int plate, spirit cloth)

So adding the extra specs would create a lot more variety for players and add in a whole ton of utility.

But with that, a whole lot of other complications come into play.

First of all, the balancing of 4 specs across 11 classes would be a nightmare and a half. Especially for PVP.

Second, with 4 specs, dual spec would just be expected of all classes. Which would mean carrying around more gear and making more gear readily available. Otherwise the point is pretty much lost with it all.

Also, designing fights around new specs would make things even more difficult for 10m raid teams who may struggle to find the optimal raid makeup.

And that's just at the top of my head... I dunno. It's possible, but it's a lot of work and it does complicate things a bit too much.