Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    http://imgur.com/a/HfWqB 2.8 vs 4.0ghz. 67% load and 81%.
    Point taken Got me thinking, we are pretty much 2 generations further with regards to GPUs (4xx/5xxx series was launched around the same time as the first generation i5s i think).
    But i think it should have enough juice for a 7850/7870.

Ow, my brain hurts. :c Was there something important I needed to understand with all this discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    http://imgur.com/a/HfWqB 2.8 vs 4.0ghz. 67% load and 81%.

What i meant was, the extra eyecandy doesn't look as good as when displayed on a IPS screen.
    What am I supposed to see on those pictures?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    Ow, my brain hurts. :c Was there something important I needed to understand with all this discussion?
    That image quality ultimately depends on the quality of your screen. And it's better, in my oppinion, to put a little more money in it.
    Nothing, just forget it

Deleted

Its pretty much this:

Lower panel quality , but better GPU or higher panel quality (better image quality), but lower GPU.

But i think going from a CRT to a TN panel will be enough to rock your world :P
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2013-01-30 at 07:44 PM. Reason: small mistake

Huh? Lower panel quality = better image quality?

I see now that I forgot to mention which monitor I am using. I'm using a Dell 1800FP, so it's not CRT.

Anyway, it seems the Dell has a higher response time than the Samsung, but it's probably negligible compared to how much else the Dell has to offer. Does anyone know the refresh rate of the Dell?

Deleted
    Huh? Lower panel quality = better image quality?
    Oops, that is a mistake (will edit that out).

Anyway, it seems the Dell has a higher response time than the Samsung, but it's probably negligible compared to how much else the Dell has to offer. Does anyone know the refresh rate of the Dell?
    The dell has an refresh rate of 8 ms

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Oops, that is a mistake (will edit that out).
    Heh, I got a little suspicious there.

The dell has an refresh rate of 8 ms
    Oh, I mean in MHz. If it's not called refresh rate, then my bad.

Well, fuck this. How about these, then?

http://www.dustinhome.no/product/501...Provider_dacsa

They're both linked/mentioned earlier in this thread.

Those are good if you can afford them.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Oh, I mean in MHz. If it's not called refresh rate, then my bad.

Well, fuck this. How about these, then?
    They're both linked/mentioned earlier in this thread.
    Hmm, maybe i should read better :P Response time is 8 ms and refresh rate is 60 Mhz

And ye, those look good if you can afford it

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Hmm, maybe i should read better :P Response time is 8 ms and refresh rate is 60 Mhz

And ye, those look good if you can afford it
    60Hz. MHz would be crazy.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    60Hz. MHz would be crazy.
    Yeah, my bad. I'm not very well integrated into this stuff yet. :p

Perhipherals are in a way the most important equipment. They're usually the most durable, so it's important that they're of good quality, since you're most likely to spend a couple of years with them. With that in mind, I'd rather pay a couple more hundred NOK if the Dell monitor really is that much better. At the same time, I want a good card, and I don't think I'd like to go all the way down to a 7770 considering how much of a performance loss it is from a 7870.

So yes, with that in mind, I don't mind upping the budget in order to get these.

With that, I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me reach this conclusion, Majesticii for presenting his opinion on the monitor, which eventually led me to change my mind, Zeara for being persistent with me, n0cturnal for the sporadic input, and everybody else who also has posted in this thread.

Before we leave this thread, I have two final questions. First of all, looking down the road, what would be the next component(s) to upgrade? I think acquiring an SSD would be a nice addition, but what about after that? And then I have a question that might not be so easy to answer, if possible at all. Where on the 'scale' is it most economically lucrative to invest when it comes to computer components (and peripherals for that matter)? For example, getting the best of the best is going to cost a lot. Among the few number of best components you're starting to pay a lot for small increases in performance, but at the same time, if you're at the other end of the scale you're looking at components that will not last for very long. So, it's somewhere in between, but it's still a large area. Is it better to invest often and in cheap things, or rarely and in expensive things? Or maybe the middle of the scale is the best? I suppose it could vary from time to time or from type to type, but I don't know, which is why I'm asking.
    Last edited by Arctagon; 2013-01-30 at 10:11 PM.

Middle of the scale is usually always the best from an economic viewpoint when it comes to hardware, for peripherals it is most likely upper-mid to lower-high end.
    A good monitor,keyboard or headphones can last you 5-10 years if you treat them properly, this also goes for case and PSU, other components not so much.

As for upgrades the SSD is a given, after that I would look to get a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. Haswell or possibly Broadwell.
    I would also get a new case but that is just me and it doesn't really give you any performance benefits except some better cooling and perhaps less noise.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I have the same Dell panel, and would not trade it for anything. Quite lovely.

Also, it has been said by a couple people, if you can afford the last GPU and Monitor you posted, do so!

Edit: n0cturnal's advice in the post above mine is spot on. +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

n0cturnal: I couldn't ask for a better answer. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    I have the same Dell panel, and would not trade it for anything. Quite lovely.
    Reassurances are always nice. Good to hear!

Also, it has been said by a couple people, if you can afford the last GPU and Monitor you posted, do so!
    Yes, that is what I plan to do. :3

Again, thanks to everybody for the help!

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks good, also have the U2312HM, went from CRT to TN at first (T220). Glad i made the step to IPS, much better visuals.