How to convert purchased iTunes movies to NTSC DVD?

I have iTunes 10.5 and I tried converting the movie "The Bourne Legacy" that I purchased on iTunes to a NTSC DVD file. It converted it with output length of 6.04 GB that seemed right to me. When I try to play it on WM or CL Power DVD it gives me a green screen through the entire movie but there is audio that seems fine. Where is the problem? Thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    you will need to find a way to strip the DRM, but if you are in the US, that is not an option, removing any DRM is illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    you will need to find a way to strip the DRM, but if you are in the US, that is not an option, removing any DRM is illegal
    Depends how it's done. Programs like tunebite are totally legal.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Depends how it's done. Programs like tunebite are totally legal.
    I don't think that can be applied to movies though.

10+ Year Old Account
    no, the DMCA bans removing any DRM, via any method, from any media, which sucks, because while you could make a case for the DRM interfering, you would still be in the wrong for removing it, yes you are expected to pay for something and not be able to use it

anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Congrats! You have made it to my signature...

OT: It has already been stated, DRM stripping is illegal in the states, and I am sure by extension other countries.

no, the DMCA bans removing any DRM, via any method, from any media, which sucks, because while you could make a case for the DRM interfering, you would still be in the wrong for removing it, yes you are expected to pay for something and not be able to use it

Those programs actually just record a very high quality screencast or audio recording of the drm'd media, then encode it to a reasonable size all at 20 times the original speed.

That's why those programs are still for sale. It's perfectly legal to record owned media for personal use.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Those programs actually just record a very high quality screencast or audio recording of the drm'd media, then encode it to a reasonable size all at 20 times the original speed.

That's why those programs are still for sale. It's perfectly legal to record owned media for personal use.
    well, this is from wikipedia:
    Motion pictures on DVDs that are lawfully made and acquired and that are protected by the Content Scrambling System when circumvention is accomplished solely in order to accomplish the incorporation of short portions of motion pictures into new works for the purpose of criticism or comment, and where the person engaging in circumvention believes and has reasonable grounds for believing that circumvention is necessary to fulfill the purpose of the use in the following instances:

-Educational uses by college and university professors and by college and university film and media studies students;
    -Documentary filmmaking;
    -Noncommercial videos. (A new exemption in 2010, similar to a previous educational exemption.)
    but they also say:
    Exemptions are granted when it is shown that access-control technology has had a substantial adverse effect on the ability of people to make non-infringing uses of copyrighted works.
    this is very much a big gray area atm, afaik, legally you are not supposed to bypass or removed DRM, the problem is what do you do when you are unable to enjoy media you have purchased, copyright lawyers would say that is not a problem, but then again, they buy $3000 suits and snort coke all day, back in the real world there is a reason why certain sites are still popular

Yeah, but it's still legal to record playback of whatever you want. Just like popping in two cassette tapes and making a copy. If the software was altering the source file in any way that would be a different story.

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but it's still legal to record playback of whatever you want. Just like popping in two cassette tapes and making a copy. If the software was altering the source file in any way that would be a different story.
    again, gray area, you are allowed a backup copy, but you can't modify the copy, i don't know if any legal statements have been updated for digital media, so my assumption is that it would be like dvds, you can copy it, but it has to be an exact copy, in the original format, with all the DRM included

most of us see things very fluidly, and only consider differences between h.264 and AVI as a quality/size thing, but to a lawyer, your backup of a DVD needs to be an ISO (if they even understand what that means), ripping the movie into 264 or AVI would be copyright infringement

again, gray area, you are allowed a backup copy, but you can't modify the copy, i don't know if any legal statements have been updated for digital media, so my assumption is that it would be like dvds, you can copy it, but it has to be an exact copy, in the original format, with all the DRM included

most of us see things very fluidly, and only consider differences between h.264 and AVI as a quality/size thing, but to a lawyer, your backup of a DVD needs to be an ISO (if they even understand what that means), ripping the movie into 264 or AVI would be copyright infringement
    You don't need to make an exact copy on the exact media, otherwise recording television shows would be in the same gray area. Regardless, it's not like everyone is going to go to jail for re-recording their own stuff. No one really cares unless you share.

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need to make an exact copy on the exact media, otherwise recording television shows would be in the same gray area. Regardless, it's not like everyone is going to go to jail for re-recording their own stuff. No one really cares unless you share.
    we'll see, Dish is already in trouble over their ad skipping DVR, im sure they are going to argue that it violates the DMCA, this is why i hate copyright and lawyers, they are essentially denying what consumers want for corporate profit, consumers who take a stand and get what they want without bending to the ridiculous laws are labeled as pirates and criminals

the problem is that in this fight between pirates and copyright, ordinary consumers get screwed over, looking at the OP, he wants to watch a movie he has purchased, but their aren't any clearly defined legal ways of doing it beyond buying the DVD, and paying for the movie twice, and now everyone has to deal with their browsing being monitored by their ISP

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to make a backup of any media you own legally. As far as I know, what's illegal is making "illegal copies"; copies that you give away or sell, etc. Personal backup is not illegal. What's also not legal, is the breaking of the encryption. And if you can't break the encryption, how do you make your legal backup copy? For most people you wouldn't be able to.

But if it's in the air or can be filmed or audio recorded, I think it's free game to film or record the audio for personal use. You can't distribute it, as then it's copyright infringement, which is illegal.

This is why programs like TuneBite are still selling. All TuneBite does is record your screen and audio, bypassing drm entirely. In this way, you're not illegally breaking any drm/encryption, you've bypassed it by just recording pixels on your screen. The same thing could be done with any video recording device (digital camera, camcorder, etc)

It's not too dissimilar to using a cassette tape to record music off the radio for personal use. As soon as you start distributing those cassette tapes though, it becomes an issue.

I'm no legal expert, so don't quote me on anything. It's just my understanding.

Step 1: Stop buying things on iTunes.
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one can stop you re-recording your own stuff but what's obvious to most people is that one of the intentions of DRM is to prevent you from archiving stuff thus removing the potential to share it at any time in the future. It's like the old video games emulator debate, you're not supposed to play the game unless you own the original ROM circuitry so people invent rules like it's OK to try it for 24 hours and thus turn it into a grey area but underneath we all know it's illegal.

Just thought I'd have a rant.