Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Possible Idea: Cultural Gear?

i ran a quick search and didnt see any other threads on this, so i figured id post

after playing GW2 for a while, it made me think that hey, wouldnt cultural gear be a cool idea for transmog in wow?

each race could have a certain set of gear, maybe like every 30 levels (30, 60, 90) that looks like it belongs to that specific races culture, getting more ornate and fancy as each set progresses

ive always had this thing where i would like my characters to look suitably "blood elf" or "troll" (etc) and i think that adding in this feature would be pretty neat

thoughts?

As an RPer I just Adore! this idea. It's been something I've wanted for a long while, though I'd like to see dye for it too.

Some race/class specific weapons have been slipped in the last few PTR builds, so that's a start.

Deleted
    Yes this would be freaking amazing, I wish Blizzard would do this, but I fear it would be swept under the carpet as a minor thing and they wouldn't commit the art team to such a thing.

Yeah make it like Eden Eternal so everyone could have same gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazajin View Post
    As an RPer I just Adore! this idea. It's been something I've wanted for a long while, though I'd like to see dye for it too.
    i dont RP but that was one of the first things i thought of as well, and yes, dye would be a good addition as well ... turn your blood elf into a high elf by changing the red to blue :P

and Vellerix, i dont think it would be toooooo too hard ... i mean, youd only have to do it once, ya know?

Sure, they could sell it from the playable faction tabard vendor guys in each city.
    Twas brillig

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Troggdor View Post
    i dont RP but that was one of the first things i thought of as well, and yes, dye would be a good addition as well ... turn your blood elf into a high elf by changing the red to blue :P

and Vellerix, i dont think it would be toooooo too hard ... i mean, youd only have to do it once, ya know?
    Yeah I know that, but Blizzard have used that excuse for less in the past. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it, maybe I'm just expecting too little of blizzard, I'd loved to be proved wrong xD

10+ Year Old Account
    I love this idea. I've always tried to get my xmog sets perfect to fit with Race and Class definition. I know already there are a few that scream it:

Tauren Druid - T6
    Draenei Paladin - T5
    Troll any class - ZA/ZG, Shatt JP gear

(any more examples, feel free to add, this is all I could think of off the top of my head)

A large amount of the BC gear seemed to have been designed for Belves and Draenei, but there are some that still fit into it very well.

While there are plenty of sets out there that fit a specific race/class only (Paladin Tier 4-5 is Draenei, for example, any of the Sunwell sets being Blood Elf), I think some new and restricted "Racial Gear" would be awesome.

I'll admit, the GW2 Cultural Weapons and Armor was one thing I wish Blizzard did do from the beginning. With the datamined weapons for 5.2, my hopes are high!

It would be nice to have, but I doubt it will happen.

Are you going to limit the gear by race? Because I can already hear the screams as someone discovers that the transmog armor/weapon they wanted for their blood elf is only available for humans or some such.

If you don't limit the items by race, then it's just adding a bunch of transmog stuff in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    the point would be limiting it by race, yes ... i feel more people would stick to their races gear than would complain about not having access to the others

Sounds like an awesome idea, I like it

That would be awesome. My favorite armor skins in GW2 are cultural skins. Can't really see Blizzard going through the trouble though, hell they make a big deal out of removing transmog restriction not to mention enchant glows.

Before I would have said it be awkwardly implemented and have no point. Ever since Transmogrification, however, it's a great idea I'd love to see them do. A great shame of World of Warcraft is that so many iconic looks have vanished. This would be one way to allow the playerbase to bring them back.

They've been making gear inspired for specific races for years, but nowhere near enough, and not in any specialized way. It was one of the first things I immediatly loved about making a blood elf or draenei in TBC, they created quest rewards designed to look relevant to the character's culture.

Every once in a while in random places, Blizzard does this still.

I've talked about this a few times this week, but my dream content would be a reputation system for each race sort of, with a Shieldwall style daily system for each race you would have to travel to Teldrassil or Durotar or Mulgore or Elywnn Forest etc to take part in, and every few days you would unlock a new major step in a storyline completely focused around each race.

Using phasing it would be great to go back to your starting area and around the world for different lore oriented reasons.

And the reward would be racial weapons and armor and toy trinkets all concerned with that race.

I wish archaeology was something like that.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

That would be a great system for it.

I'm not a fan of gating things behind lots of time, but it's a simple, flavorful thing that's much preferable to throwing it on some vendor for ridiculous prices of a currency you want for something more important.

this kinda is already a thing, with several sets drawing from the races that can be that class.

I'd actually like it to roughly be evocative of your original starting zone experience with a lot of nostalgic nods. Globe hopping quests included.

For instance a night elf would go back to Shadowglen to Aldrassil for a reason, taking him around Teldrassil and eventually on to Darkshore and Ashenvale, which would then have you see a special cutscene made just for the quest line at the ruins of Auberdine which would actually have you sail on a ship from Auberdine in the cutscene and arrive at Menethil Harbor, recreating the experience of being a night elf in Vanilla.

You would then be told to head to the mountain tunnels in the wetlands up to Loch Modan, and eventually to the Tram in Ironforge. Each story step would have you not skipping the old route just to fly straight to IF.

Stuff like that is my own private desire.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW