Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    No "hard as possible" is in no ways torture, its just as inhuman as being a racist. Neither is it killing that person.

Its about punishment and reeducation, which sadly is not as effective as it could be, still though... racist should be punished heavily with jail.
    This has got to be one of the dumbest fucking comments I have ever read on this forum. That is not hyperbole either. Words "punished heavily with jail"... you speak of reeducation, but stupid comments like that make me wonder just how much education YOU have. What someone says, ESPECIALLY online, where it can simply be ignored or removed, should NEVER be handled with a temporary restriction of freedom. People like yourself are FAR more of a problem than any KKK or Black Panther or WBC members could ever be. I always keep my fingers crossed that one day, people like you will say the wrong thing... just SAY the "wrong" thing, SPEAK the "wrong" words, and end up on the side of punishment, because hey.. you think it's reasonable.

First its racism, and then what, you can't say something about someones weight without jail time? About their clothes without jail time? Do we go the route of fahrenheit 451, a book which you should read, and start censoring books that contain historical racism (which is already happening, Huckleberry Fin anyone?), or burning them.. because they contain bad "words"? Fuck off with your outright stupidity. Words are words, NOTHING more, and only have as much power as you ALLOW them to have. ESPECIALLY when it comes to shit people write online, where you have a CHOICE to not read it, ignore it, delete it, block the person, etc etc. I hope you never breed, this outright stupidity has to end somewhere. I will say whatever the fuck I like, wherever the fuck I like, if you don't like what I have to say, don't read it, or ignore me, it is THAT SIMPLE. YOU DO NOT HAVE THE 'RIGHT' TO NOT BE OFFENDED. Most definitely not when it comes into my right to think or say WHATEVER THE FUCK I LIKE, so long as it is not inciting violence and ruining someone elses rights.

Infracted: Please, keep responses civil and refrain from insulting other posters.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2013-01-31 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DakonBlackblade View Post
    How is a facebook coment any diferent from sayng it yourself on "real life" ?
    For one I would not go to jail for it. I know this is true based on the amount of Scientology jokes I have made over the years. What the man said could have been crass, rude, racist, sexist, demeaning, and everything else but I doubt it called for jail time.

Deleted
    The problem that forever dogs liberals - freedom of speech is good, but what happens when freedom of speech allows those voices that seek to take it away? Racism is very much part of that agenda - demonizing and denying a group of people validity and equality. But as ever the British police prove that they have the wrong end of the stick and try to arrest people on online networks. It's a risible attempt at populist policing, and the law needs to be made more explicit.
    Last edited by mmoc2f7dfebfb1; 2013-01-31 at 06:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rainiothon View Post
    The problem that forever dogs liberals - freedom of speech is good, but what happens when freedom speech allows those voices that seek to take it away? Racism is very much part of that agenda - demonizing and denying a group of people validity and equality. But as ever the British police prove that they have the wrong end of the stick and try to arrest people on online networks. It's a risible attempt at popular* policing, and the law needs to be made more explicit.
    *Populist policing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    *Populist policing.
    Oops! Thanks, changed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rainiothon View Post
    Oops! Thanks, changed.
    Well, I just gave my spin on it.

I think it is kind of like populist policing.

Deleted
    If you go into public and talk about degrading people because of skin color, religious believes and even incite violence just for the sake of them being "different" or worth less then you.

Thats atleast how its defined by mostly everyone including me.

And if you ask me what I meant with "Vile ideas just to hurt and incite hatred" is exactly what goes up and down on many websites including facebook, people get racial slurs thrown at for just being upset with a certain situation, there is no thought behind it.

They want to incite hatred for persons, certain cultures, religions or whatever else they dont agree with. In this case its not as heavy as it could be, but still its racism and I see no reason for not punishing him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Britain is arresting folk for internet "harassment" on the reg now.

Yeah, I can see why Early Americans had a problem with Britain. That is just borderline fascist.

Regardless of content, the internet is no different that books. You have a choice to read or acknowledge what people write up. Punishing people for their opinion, right, wrong, or ludicrous is no way to handle the situation. In the digital media age, you start to censor the internet, and people will be nailing another Magna Carta on a door, except it will be on Palace doors, this time.
    I am not sure how the police / courts / justice system works in the rest of the world, but it seems everyone (including a few brits in this very thread) do not understand the UK justice system AT ALL.

I'll break it down for you:

- Someone (or more) accuses person A of a crime to the police.

- The police investigate said accusation, and then do the following:

A) Arrest person A under suspicion of said crime, and take them in to custody to bring a case to the courts.
    B) Do not have sufficient evidence to arrest said person, person A goes on about their merry business.

Under option A, this person is still treated as INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. With most none violent crimes, person A is released back in to the general public under bail conditions (as in, they cannot leave the country etc, but do not go to jail waiting for the court hearing). The police / courts may choose to take person A to court to be tried for the crime if they can get a conviction, or they may let them off with a caution which does not show on a criminal record (essentially a slap on the wrists).

So, the person arrested was done so on the suspicion of inciting or spreading hate speech against a religion (as in, against Demba Ba's religion) which is illegal UK. He is still INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY regardless of this fact. If you live in the UK, and make racist or hate speach against another persons colour, and anybody reports your post to the UK authorities, you will get a visit from your local bobby asking you to pop in the local police station for questioning. They will not magically appear at your front door the moment you hit post with your witty comments on Facebook.

I am happy to live by these rules (or LAWS as we call them here...), however if you are not, and wish to call people "NIGGER", "PAKI", "CLOTH HEAD" or any other racist, bigoted name due to their religion or skin colour on the internet, I will happily applaud our system when you are called before a jury of your peers to defend said comments because somebody took offence to said comments.

There is no censorship, there is no thought crime, there is the law which people need to abide by. Or of course, they can happily move else where.
    Last edited by mmoc6ea4fad3c3; 2013-01-31 at 06:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Facebook or not, it's still racism..

Besides, it's ba! How can you hate him? ..1 match 1 goal, torres...on the other hand...yeah...

Cisse!!! (Guys who don't watch football...sorry :P)
    Howay the lads!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    For one I would not go to jail for it. I know this is true based on the amount of Scientology jokes I have made over the years. What the man said could have been crass, rude, racist, sexist, demeaning, and everything else but I doubt it called for jail time.
    I think there's a difference between bemoaning Scientology in general and harrassing or threatening someone for their beliefs. One is completely fine and the other isn't. Without knowing specifically what was posted on that soccer forum its difficult to tell which side this specific event lies on.

Deleted
    So - the person arrested was done so on the suspicion of inciting or spreading hate speech against a religion (as in, against Demba Ba's religion) which is illegal UK. He is INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY regardless of this fact. If you live in the UK, and make racist or hate speach against another persons colour, and anybody reports your post to the UK authorities, you will get a visit from your local bobby asking you to pop in the local police station for questioning.
    I've not heard he said anything about Demba Ba's religion. Demba Ba's religion was mentioned in some articles, but his comment was supposed to be racist.

I am happy to live by these rules (or LAWS as we call them here...), however if you are not, and wish to call people "NIGGER", "PAKI", "CLOTH HEAD" or any other racist, bigoted name due to their religion or skin colour on the internet, I will happily applaud our system when you are called before a jury of your peers to defend said comments.
    What is your opinion on racist jokes? What is your opinion on parody/insult towards religion in general? Should those be crimes?

Why or why not?

So wait, did he directly address his post to Ba, or did he just made a post on Facebook about him? If it's the first one (for example, written on Ba's personal FB page), I would understand it.

Otherwise... fuck no. I've written so many bad things in my life on the internet it's not even funny anymore. Most of the times to troll people. Should I go to jail now? O.o

If someone doesn't like it he can always close the window, you know? Banning him would have been enough.

Harassing people over the phone is illegal, why should it be different for the internet?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    If you go into public and talk about degrading people because of skin color, religious believes and even incite violence just for the sake of them being "different" or worth less then you.

Thats atleast how its defined by mostly everyone including me.
    That would be a form of racism. That there would be advocating treating people differently based on their skin colour.

What about just random racial and/or anti-religious insults/jokes?

And if you ask me what I meant with "Vile ideas just to hurt and incite hatred" is exactly what goes up and down on many websites including facebook, people get racial slurs thrown at for just being upset with a certain situation, there is no thought behind it.

They want to incite hatred for persons, certain cultures, religions or whatever else they dont agree with. In this case its not as heavy as it could be, but still its racism and I see no reason for not punishing him.
    Because it is a complete non-crime and the judicial process is a entire waste of time for all parties as well as the untouched threats to freedom of speech. There is no victim. Demba Ba did not even make the complaint.

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 06:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Harassing people over the phone is illegal, why should it be different for the internet?
    Insulting someone on facebook =/= Harassment

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If people want to be racist let them be. At the end they are a piece of nothing and words fly away.

You simply can't arrest people for what they write in such place like Facebook...

Typhoon-AN, are you aware of the gross hypocrisy of your post?

You are treating people differently and want to restrict their freedoms because you don't like their beliefs...

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon-AN View Post
    I am happy to live by these rules (or LAWS as we call them here...), however if you are not, and wish to call people "NIGGER", "PAKI", "CLOTH HEAD" or any other racist, bigoted name due to their religion or skin colour on the internet, I will happily applaud our system when you are called before a jury of your peers to defend said comments because somebody took offence to said comments.

There is no censorship, there is no thought crime, there is the law which people need to abide by. Or of course, they can happily move else where.
    Has anyone been trailed for insulting white people or christians?

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Has anyone been trailed for insulting white people or christians?
    People have been hanged, burned, or killed, for insulting christians. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    People have been hanged, burned, or killed, for insulting christians. Does that count?
    On facebook? By the police?

Deleted
    I just cant agree with someone spouting around random racial slurs or something, if you call me an asshole its okay. If you call me an idiot ye it's okay for me, maybe I am the idiot but if you call me a fuckin Nazi faggot just for me being german, that's wrong.

It just shouldn't be accepted by society that those racist stuff exists in the first place. I may call Demba Ba an idiot and bad at playing football but seriously, there is no time where it would cross my mind to call him the N word or insulting his skin colour or religion for whatever reason.

Racism caused way too many problems in the past that we should let we continue to accept it or play it down to "Meh, he's just the insulting douchebag."

I don't know how this guy is outside of facebook, maybe he's insulting every other black, muslim or asian he comes by, maybe he's just the normal douche who ranted on facebook, but still we can let the police look into it ?