Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    The drill should simple be to rush the shooter and get him to the ground, sure he might still kill a few kids but if they do nothing and wait for the cops the shooter will surly kill more than a few.

Then of course the news media gets to talk about heroic kids stopping a gunman and that gunman will face trial instead of getting to blow his own brains out.
    Cannot think of a better message to send these wouldbe murderers and I might be considered a bit barbaric for being willing to throw the lives of a few children away for a chance at glory and to send that message to woodbe criminals but the cost is worth it imo.

Besides knowing my kid died a hero trying to prevent the death of others would make me proud, hiding behind a desk waiting to be the next victim not so much.

Besides I remember being in school and little boys can be fearless sadistic little shits, the gunman would most likely be stabbed to death with pencils long before the cops showed up.

Glad to see i'm not the only one thinking fight to survive and protect is better than cower.

Sounds like a sensible idea to me, as these school shootings appear* to be going up in frequency (*NOTE THAT I SAID APPEAR NOT "ARE"!).

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Fear training. Its the same thing they do to soldiers in boot camp to make sure they don't lose their heads when the danger is real.
    Must've missed the day we were supposed to be afraid.

It sounds like lockdown drill.

It only takes a tragedy for them to start again, my last one was in 5th grade, and now because of sandy hook, starting to have them now again in my sophmore year. Only a tragedy.....

15+ Year Old Account
    The drill should simple be to rush the shooter and get him to the ground, sure he might still kill a few kids but if they do nothing and wait for the cops the shooter will surly kill more than a few.

Then of course the news media gets to talk about heroic kids stopping a gunman and that gunman will face trial instead of getting to blow his own brains out.
    Cannot think of a better message to send these wouldbe murderers and I might be considered a bit barbaric for being willing to throw the lives of a few children away for a chance at glory and to send that message to woodbe criminals but the cost is worth it imo.

Besides knowing my kid died a hero trying to prevent the death of others would make me proud, hiding behind a desk waiting to be the next victim not so much.

Besides I remember being in school and little boys can be fearless sadistic little shits, the gunman would most likely be stabbed to death with pencils long before the cops showed up.
    Must be nice to have such an ammount of heroes available along with the obvious ammount of nutcases.
    One big ass romanticising utopian post you managed to fire away though
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    damm, its got to the point where people actually consider that you have to practise for it? It think that says alot about the state the society has got into. Still unbelievable that people are argue against gun control when stuff like this is happening in reaction to what seams like an inceasing number of appaling events.

The most we get round here is a fire drill.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Why isn't fire alarm practiced with smoke in the halls? or some fire-smell.
    This is funny actually. My elementary school once did a fire practise with smoke in the halls. Was actually fun and informative >.<

But yeah, apperently it's necessary seeing as how many news there has been about school shooting and stuff. Anyhow, it's never a lost cause to practise such things :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Must be nice to have such an ammount of heroes available along with the obvious ammount of nutcases.
    One big ass romanticising utopian post you managed to fire away though
    I agree with him. At least as far as encouraging the fight back mentality...Never was one for cowering in fear. Rather in emergencies i am either more analytical or hyper agressive whichever has more use it seems.

I'd rather not squash those traits...People are becoming too weak as is we don't need to add culture enforced cowardice to the list.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    I agree with him. At least as far as encouraging the fight back mentality...Never was one for cowering in fear. Rather in emergencies i am either more analytical or hyper agressive whichever has more use it seems.
    Yes some are, problem I got with his post is that he is totally ignorant of how people act in such moments.
    Many people think too much of themselves and how they are able to act in a certain way just to be proven wrong when the shit hit the fence.
    Not to mention I'm sure parents dont want their children to play hero and have a higher risk of dying.
    As I said, it is a nice story but nothing more.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Yeah a lock down drill, which can be used for a lot of different things, is a useful drill. Using blanks is a little much and doesnt really add any training benefit.
    Except maybe give those that have never heard gunfire recognize the sound so in case of an actual event they can hear and thus find safety faster. Yes I find it sad that it's needed but that said that one thing could save several lives easily.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Anything that has the potential to save lives should be regarded as a good thing. Despite, the reason of the drill being a dark one, it's still good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Yes some are, problem I got with his post is that he is totally ignorant of how people act in such moments.
    Many people think too much of themselves and how they are able to act in a certain way just to be proven wrong when the shit hit the fence.
    Not to mention I'm sure parents dont want their children to play hero and have a higher risk of dying.
    As I said, it is a nice story but nothing more.

I KNOW how I act when when shit hits the fan. And i'm not saying we make kids do that. What i AM saying is people who would react that way normally shouldn't be discouraged/trained out of it.

Enforcing this sort of thing combined with various other things such as zero tolerance i can all but gurantee you are some of the biggest reasons apathy has become so damn common.

Also i for one would be damn happy if my child were to die a hero...Even happier if he managed to take out or kill one of those psychos.

So yes i say allow the fighters to fight. Oh amd the ONLY reason i used tes such as "coward" was because i cannot think of a better te for my views on this.

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 01:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Anium View Post
    Anything that has the potential to save lives should be regarded as a good thing. Despite, the reason of the drill being a dark one, it's still good.
    Ironically i'm at a point where "think of the children" logic is worse than invoking godwins law as far as arguments go...Even lower on my list of things that make me agree.

It's a manipulative and dark path when someone even IMPLIES that term.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    I KNOW how I act when when shit hits the fan. And i'm not saying we make kids do that. What i AM saying is people who would react that way normally shouldn't be discouraged/trained out of it.

Enforcing this sort of thing combined with various other things such as zero tolerance i can all but gurantee you are some of the biggest reasons apathy has become so damn common.

Also i for one would be damn happy if my child were to die a hero...Even happier if he managed to take out or kill one of those psychos.

So yes i say allow the fighters to fight. Oh amd the ONLY reason i used tes such as "coward" was because i cannot think of a better te for my views on this.
    I guess you refer to the training armed forces get. So the original scenario it is realistic if the children spend months of 8h training to make them able to ignore the natural flee instinct and jump the criminal? I rather have my children get an education.
    As I said, it is a story and not feasible.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2013-02-01 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Maybe in a place like Chicago where it's a more common happening. But no, not everywhere.
    School shootings haven't been happening in the stereotypical dangerous areas though.
    Last edited by Themius; 2013-02-01 at 02:35 PM.

they did these when I was in Middle School after Columbine. There were no blanks fired, but Chicago School shootings INSIDE the school are actually very rare.

Deleted
    How sad that it has come to that, the USA is no longer land of the free.

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 02:10 PM ----------

Sure, a class of 7 year olds will zerg rush the attacker rather than shit their trousers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was a college student in the years before school shootings were in fashion (1995-1999). I had a psychology professor who during the middle of a lecture, pulled a pistol from his brief case on the desk, pointed it into the crowd and fired a shot. It turns out the gun was just a starter's pistol and the round fired was a blank charge. It was his way of getting the attention of a sleeping pupil near the front of the class. It scared the shit out of everyone and got his message across for the rest of the term, but I don't remember there being a single repercussion for his actions aside from the 100+ students in my class thinking he was a nutjob.

I look back on the event now and laugh, but it also makes me wonder how something like this would be handled in today's world. He'd probably be reprimanded or terminated depending on how traumatized the students were and how well-connected those students' parents were. In fact, what would have happened to the guy if he'd had a Columbine High School grad in one of his classes that flipped out?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I was a college student in the years before school shootings were in fashion (1995-1999). I had a psychology professor who during the middle of a lecture, pulled a pistol from his brief case on the desk, pointed it into the crowd and fired a shot. It turns out the gun was just a starter's pistol and the round fired was a blank charge. It was his way of getting the attention of a sleeping pupil near the front of the class. It scared the shit out of everyone and got his message across for the rest of the term, but I don't remember there being a single repercussion for his actions aside from the 100+ students in my class thinking he was a nutjob.

I look back on the event now and laugh, but it also makes me wonder how something like this would be handled in today's world. He'd probably be reprimanded or terminated depending on how traumatized the students were and how well-connected those students' parents were. In fact, what would have happened to the guy if he'd had a Columbine High School grad in one of his classes that flipped out?
    He did that in the US where he could get sued for whatever, impressive but ugh pretty fucking moronic in my view.
    He should ponder a bit if he does anything wrong regarding his tutoring if people fall asleep to the left and right

This is just terrible....... I have no other words to describe this

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't attend a school that could be "locked down". So, kinda pointless there.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.