Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Sick of being labelled as "a gamer"

The only videogame I play is World of Warcraft, I play it a lot but I'm in no means a gamer. To me, gamers are a social group that are unified in videogames and the joy of playing them. They geek about the latest Assassin's Creed, they worship Legend of Zelda like a religion, they judge every new videogame with a fine-toothed comb while others silently nod to themselves.

Me:

- Own no other gaming systems, only a laptop
    - Never played Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, and dabbled in Mario 64 when it first came out.
    - The last shooter game I played was Gears of War 2 back when it was first released, I played it a lot with my friends at the time.
    - I was a little old for Pokemon when it first came out, It never caught on with me or my friends, my now wife introduced me to it a few years ago and I love it, but haven't played it since summer of 2012.
    - Dont have a Steam account, Gamestop account, etc. etc. Only pay for WoW.

I play WoW as a casual but do play whenever I have a lot of freetime. Between raising a new family, working full time 50 hours a week and spending time with my friends I don't have time to play anything BUT WoW. Prior to WoW, I rarely played any videogames or read about them, though I'm up to date on all things WoW. The last game I played that wasn't WoW was Super Smash Brothers Brawl on a Wii during Christmas, I didn't know where any of the buttons were.

People make the instant conclusion that I'm a gamer because I play WoW, then get irritated when I don't know what Ocarina of Time is, anything about Halo nor do I know anything about PAX or Comiccon or anything.

I'm ranting because I got accused of being retarded, stupid etc. etc. Internet insulted (oh my) because I could only list about 4 of the logos in this picture

I don't want to be associated as "a gamer" as cool as some of them are, because I simply do not enjoy playing videogames. WoW is a rare exception because of how attached it became to my life.

Deleted
    Pretty much everyone under the age of 35 is a gamer nowadays, it is extremely rare to find someone young that does not play games.

I can also name 7 of those logo's, most I have never played.

Im sorry thats happening to you. People on the enet are not always resonable when all they have to do is fire off a comment and forget about it.
    Pretend this is a amazing sig with my character holding an legendary.

Wierd. i'm a halo sign even though i've never played it. lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I can also name 7 of those logo's, most I have never played.
    Only 7? Casual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    Wierd. i'm a halo sign even though i've never played it. lol
    Second to last is gear of war, right? Only played the first one and apparently thats my sign.

i usually label people under the game they play, if they play WoW, then they are WoWers. i consider myself a gamer because even though i dont play those games, i can pick up any game and be good at it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    Only 7? Casual.
    I prefer to consider myself diverse in hobbies.

Deleted
    Super mario
    Assassins creed
    ???
    mortal combat
    ???
    halo
    star fox
    zelda
    pokémon
    half life
    gears of war
    ???

Any 1 able to help me out??

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I can tell you all but the fox with wings logos and I haven't played at least 2 of the others. I don't play a lot of games but I am aware of them as I am a CS person I kinda keep up with gaming in general because it does have some effect on my field.
    and it's
    Mario Bros.
    Assassin's Creed
    Samus from Metroid
    Mortal Kombat
    Resident evil
    Halo
    Star Fox
    Triforce from Zelda
    Pokeball from Pokemon
    Half life
    Gears of War
    Kingdom Hearts
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2013-02-02 at 08:33 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    /shrug
    Just tell people you don't want to be considered that and be done with it. I know back when I did play WoW (and practically exclusively) people were telling me I was not a true gamer, I just shrugged it off, because ever since the age of 5 or so I've been playing video games, whether computer or console.

I think I can name 9 of the symbols, however I've not played a few, just seen them too many times for my own sanity.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    Super mario
    Assassins creed
    ???
    mortal combat
    Resident evil
    halo
    star fox
    zelda
    pokémon
    half life
    gears of war
    Kingdom hearts?

Any 1 able to help me out??
    I cant get that last one.

Deleted
    I got it now, I think it's samus sign if i remember correctly she can drop bombs that looks like that sign in super smash bros.

Edit: Googled it and yeah it's the metroid sign, it has something to do with samus.
    Last edited by mmoca9bf05c4ed; 2013-02-02 at 08:34 PM.

Metroid series.
    Senior Officer of the FFXIV:ARR chapter of the Philanthropy Gaming community. Come say hello!

15+ Year Old Account
    It's metroid.

You are a "gamer" based on your defensive reaction. Non gamers would just brush it off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    You are a "gamer" based on your defensive reaction. Non gamers would just brush it off.
    What was my defensive reaction? I ignored them, then came here some time later since I think of MMOC posters as friends of common ground.

Deleted
    I got them all but had to guess Kingdom Hearts having never played it.

I don't mind being called a gamer as such but I don't see myself as one any more. I rarely talk about them. There are moments but only with specific people.

It can be seen as a negative thing no doubt which is kinda sad really but its the same with any hobby that either has negative or poor exposure. Games Workshop is another classic example. When someone overheard me discussing painting techniques with a friend their first reaction was to ask what we were painting. When miniatures were mentioned the next reaction was "go get a girlfriend". Funny how it goes to interest to disdain almost instantly.

People are fickle.

OP you are a gamer if you play a GAME you are a gamer. Last time I checked WoW was a game so even though you don't know a lot about other games it doesn't mean you aren't a gamer.

Also why are you "sick" of being labled as a gamer? Whats wrong with that? If people bug you about it and their not doing it in a joking sense (IE playing around) just don't talk to them.

Deleted
    I've pretty much been a "gamer" since I was able to operate a games console and still am at the age 22. Honestly, I have to disagree with you about Assassins Creed, in my opinion that game doesn't make anybody a gamer, it's a casual game that fucking sucks. I've tried to like it because the concept of playing in old times is pretty cool but it's a God of War game, you spam the same attack commands until you beat the game. R1 or what ever button it is and Square to counter attack = win. I personally find no enjoyment playing a game with those features. Plus the hole thing about you go on a bed that sends you back in time to do shit for the future is really shit, why can't you just stick to the past? It would have been a hell of a lot better off. But that's just my matter of opinion.

I love The Legend of Zelder, but I don't "Worship" it, nor do my other friends who have gamed for about as long as I have. That's the first time I have heard that.
    Gamers are all different, they either love Final Fantasy, Zelda, Mairo and many others and also depending on when they was born.