Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Science Chat Thread

Hey, I thought we could have a general chat thread about science since we don't actually have a science subforum.

I'll start the conversation. So I'm studying for my Quantum Mechanics class and reading the textbook is a little boring, so I've been listening/watching some videos offered by Stanford that show some of their lectures. It's a little helpful, it doesn't coincide exactly with what my own professor teachers, but I'm sure after a couple of lectures I'll still have a better understanding of the subject that may even prove useful in my class. I understand MIT is a good one too.

Btw, feel free to post some science articles or new discoveries or whatever too, I'd really like that since I don't have time to read a newspaper anymore lol.

Deleted
    A bad scientist just reads his textbook.
    A decent scientist reads his textbook and the sources used for that textbook.
    a good scientist experimentally tests his textbook.
    a great scientist realizes that his textbook and experiments have flaws.
    the greatest scientist rewrites the textbook for the next generation of scientists.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    A bad scientist just reads his textbook.
    A decent scientist reads his textbook and the sources used for that textbook.
    a good scientist experimentally tests his textbook.
    the greatest scientist rewrites the textbook for the next generation of scientists.
    Wow, I must truly be shitty then.

10+ Year Old Account
    For anyone not subscribed to sci-show, shame on you!

And this ones more interesting still: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm6df_SExVw

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    For anyone not subscribed to sci-show, shame on you!

And this ones more interesting still: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm6df_SExVw
    Does being subscribed to a science blog count? I'm an io9 reader.

Deleted
    just watched Brian Cox: a night with stars is brilliant for quantum physics or any space based science. It's on youtube as well. i dont study it it's more of a hobby to keep my brain active.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every single one of these is amazing.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/27-sc...nce-facts-in-2

So...we might be the first generation to live to see 200 if they keep that stuff up!

Also I love Brian Cox. I think if I were gay he'd be all over my walls.

Deleted
    He is awesome and he explains things not for dumb people but for people who have a moderate science knowledge.

I'll read more when I have more time.

I'm applying to some REUs and picking them out is fucking stressful.

I'm also supposed to be going to this physics conference in March and lol...making the plans for hotels and registering and shit is ....

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    So does the worst "scientists", though.

Bill Nye the Science Guy.

BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL!

Deleted

It's a list of cool science websites/youtube channels.

I've seen Brian Cox's shows on the SCIENCE channel plenty of times. Fascinating I must say. Michio Kaku peaks my interest as well. I have a couple of his books plus some from other authors like Brian Greene, Stephen Hawking, and Leonard Susskind. Kind of wanted to learn physics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Does being subscribed to a science blog count? I'm an io9 reader.
    Not in this case, unfortunately. io9 is generally a terrible place to read about science.

Deleted
    You should see this TED video on a Thorium Salt reactor, its amazing we dont use these ones yet!!!! we can get nuclear power with a lot less risk and with reactors which are soooo tiny. This is the 10 minutes video,for the interested ones, the second one is 1 hour 40 minutes....

Wow. I should definitely read up on this more.

Woahz. I'm applying for a NASA internship for the summer, wish me luck guys.

Well...it's engineering sort of.

The way NASA does it is you fill out an application and submit your letters of recommendations, personal info, transcript, GPA, all that junk and put the preference of which site you want to intern at, and they decide which project is best suited to you, or which project they can take you on, or whatever.

So while most of their internships involve engineering, some computer stuff, a few deal with chemistry, I saw one with biology, I don't really get to choose which I'd get to join.

Meh to be honest with you the NASA internship is worse than doing research at a college, because those college research programs are designed to help you for graduate school too, the NASA thing is more of a regular internship that happens to be with a big name place.

Thanks though, back to science discussion! Start discussing that solar flux ropes or whatever the fuck it was, I never read the article on that and I'm curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Bill Nye the Science Guy.

BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL!
    whatever happened to that show?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.