Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Lore]Shadow Priests powers are from 'old gods'?

The shadowy natures of Shadow Priests' powers seems to stem from Old God's powers due to several similarities such as mind effecting spells and the ability to summon aberration such as shadow fiend, tentacles and mind flayers.

what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Hyde; 2013-02-03 at 05:19 AM.

Well, we've seen from Warlocks that they can gain powers from the Twilight Hammer group (basically old god powers), why not Priests?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the powers of shadow priests come from the same place as the powers of the Light - a place that is the source of many powers, but is native to the universe of Azeroth and all the other worlds.

The Old Gods come from a different universe, an entirely separate realm. They are described as 'Necrophotic' lifeforms by the titans, a made-up latin word that means 'dead light.'

I believe the Old Gods are manifestation of the 'Light' of their universe, a force that is the opposite of the Light of our universe... a kind of 'anti-Light.'
    Last edited by Golden Yak; 2013-02-03 at 05:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the volcanic ashlands of northwestern Georgia (Also known as Atlanta).
    Rp-wise you can roleplay your power as coming from wherever you want. In actuality, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the spells stem from the old gods. The darkest types of voodoo draw upon the power of the old gods, and the forgotten shadow religion's shadow magic may ultimately come from the old gods and their powers whether the forsaken know it or not. It could he that, similar to how holy magic stems from positive emotions regardless of wherher you actually worship the light directly (priests of elune), shadow magic is drawn from negative emotions that are represented in physical form by the beings we know as "old gods".

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotrip View Post
    the forgotten shadow religion's shadow magic may ultimately come from the old gods and their powers whether the forsaken know it or not
    Forgotten Shadow hasn't been associated with Old Gods yet but seems more inline with void and an opposing force, but parallel and integral to Light

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    The Old Gods come from a different universe, an entirely separate realm. They are described as 'Necrophotic' lifeforms by the titans, a made-up latin word that means 'dead light.'
    It's made-up Greek, not made-up Latin. Since it is made-up, the intended meaning is a bit vague. Maybe they aimed more at a "light-killing". From a purely grammatical standpoint, "Lit with death" is a translation far more proper than "dead light".

All the shadow fiend and tentacle and mind corruption stuff of shadow magic certainly fits the Old Gods. Aren't shadow fiends actually transformed into sha through a tier bonus or a weapon or something?
    The Sha show that negative emotions are the realm of the Old Gods. Doubt and distrust, but also loneliness and envy were also highlighted by Yogg-Saron a lot. According to Lore, the Forgotten Shadow deals with negative emotions (whereas the Holy Light brings positive emotions such as hope, courage and love), so I consider the idea that the Forgotten Shadow is inspired by Old Gods likely. The Forsaken cult does not know that, of course. Maybe the Forgotten Shadow is an Old God under Tirisfal?

10+ Year Old Account
    I very much like this theory! It's one of my faves. Shadow magic does share many similarities with what we know about the old gods powers, specially the "bringing forth despair" thing (and all the purpleness)

I think that the Cult of the Forgotten Shadow taps into this old god energy without knowing it, as the humans did with the light before they knew it came from the naaru. Or does it??

The naaru are beings of light, but they maybe are not it's creators. Maybe the the old gods are creatures of shadow, but there's a larger power out there as their origin. Since void is not merely the absence of light on WoW, maybe shadow and void are related, although void seems to be presented as a physical phenomena compared to "shadow" which has a heavy psychic and emotional aspect to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that the Cult of the Forgotten Shadow taps into this old god energy without knowing it, as the humans did with the light before they knew it came from the naaru. Or does it??
    Seeing as their was neither hide nor head of a naaru on Azeroth for quite some time, and titan creations were "empowered" with the light way back when, I think it's safe to say that the naaru didn't create the light... they're merely beings that are highly in tune with it.

I don't believe shadow priests derive their powers from old gods... it seems that anything that utilizes, or even tip-toes around, old god power ends up being driven insane by it... and I've yet to see an spriest in a dungeon run break out yelling "Y'KNATH K'TH'RYGG K'YI MRR'UNGHA GR'MULA N'ZOTH! RETH RETH RETH!" and start dotting up the tank.

I think it's more likely that shadow priests derive their power from the "opposite" of light, which is the ethereal "shadow/void" trope... similar to how naaru can turn "dark."

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak
    We don't know where the old gods come from... all we know is that they were present on Azeroth before the titans, and may have indeed simply coalesced out of entropy when Azeroth itself coalesced out of space dust, or whatever process forms planets in WoW.

As for the whole "necrophotic" thing, I'm half convinced that Blizzard just minced a "scary/cool" sounding word together to stick into the tribunal speech... For example, Lady Deathwhisper also drops a pair of boots called "necrophotic greaves..." which are Shaman gear, not priest... and deathwhisper herself uses a wide range of abilities (from mage to DK,) and is in no way a "shadow priestess."
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-02-03 at 09:19 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the volcanic ashlands of northwestern Georgia (Also known as Atlanta).
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Forgotten Shadow hasn't been associated with Old Gods yet but seems more inline with void and an opposing force, but parallel and integral to Light

What I'm saying is that the spiritual energy from which shadow magic is drawn might be tied in some metaphysical way to the old gods, as it is described as being a fundamental aspect of our universe, bound by the negative aspects of our reality. The Old gods play a similar role, as eldritch, lovecraftian, physical representations of these negative forces, so there MAY be some connection. Again, this is just speculation. I'm just trying to say you COULD interprete this as a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    As for the whole "necrophotic" thing, I'm half convinced that Blizzard just minced a "scary/cool" sounding word together to stick into the tribunal speech... For example, Lady Deathwhisper also drops a pair of boots called "necrophotic greaves..." which are Shaman gear, not priest... and deathwhisper herself uses a wide range of abilities (from mage to DK,) and is in no way a "shadow priestess."
    "Necrophotic" refers to the Old Gods. Considering Icecrown Citadel is constructed out of Old God blood, using the word again there is not that surprising. Also, if the word was a random creation instead of an intentional choice as you hypothesize, it would be unlikely to be used twice, given its unusual meaning.

Maybe the Forgotten Shadow's power is from the 'old gods'?

10+ Year Old Account
    The shadow is almost the 'dark side' of the light. Whether it comes from old gods is another question.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

No, it's not. Even Naaru have a shadow state. The Light doesn't exist without the Shadow and vis versa. Naaru are the embodiment of that having both a light and a shadow state. Nothing to connect it to old gods.

I don't think an SP's power comes from the Old Gods exactly but rather that they have the same or a similar source.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iscalio View Post
    It's made-up Greek, not made-up Latin. Since it is made-up, the intended meaning is a bit vague. Maybe they aimed more at a "light-killing". From a purely grammatical standpoint, "Lit with death" is a translation far more proper than "dead light".
    I still lean towards 'dead light' - in the Stephen King novel 'IT', the villain's an eldritch abomination whose true form is described as a cloud of glowing 'dead lights' that exist outside space and time and drive humans crazy if they look at it. It's probably his most well known work, so it's not a stretch to think this could be yet another pop-culture reference tucked away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    We don't know where the old gods come from... all we know is that they were present on Azeroth before the titans, and may have indeed simply coalesced out of entropy when Azeroth itself coalesced out of space dust, or whatever process forms planets in WoW.
    WoW's CDev questions actually revealed that the Old Gods come from another realm, and there are many more besides the ones imprisoned on Azeroth.

while old god relations seem comparable its more to do with the nature of hte light itself.

Like the naaru life cycle that we saw with M'uru. Light for one end and then shadow/void for the other. The ethereals major enemy too if you remember in TBC were the void borne beings , they were extremely bitter enemies.

I don't know. Newer shadow priest spells and stuff have very heavy Old God influence, but the old stuff was basically Nathrezim. Everything from Mind Blast to vampiric embrace. We used to have the Sleep spell back in beta.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Maybe the Forgotten Shadow's power is from the 'old gods'?
    It's possible. But Light-wielders, even the Naaru themselves said Light can't exist without Shadow. So far, Shadow isn't something that the Old Gods made so much as its something Old Gods use and use a lot of. Demons also use it, Warlocks, Necromancers, Shadow Priests and even Night Elf Wardens as well, but in different manners and to achieve different ends. It's not malevolent by itself, just opposing of Light.

As far as I can tell this has only been referenced in the RPG and never in game?
    I mean that doesn't necessarily mean it's non-canon but it also isn't very concrete at all.
    Last edited by Imnick; 2013-02-03 at 06:20 PM.