Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Public School Sexual Abuse is far worse than in Catholic Schools

This may shock a lot of people but the facts bear it out.

Here is an Associated Press article on sexual abuse by teachers for reference:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2100144_2.html

In it, we get the following statistic:
    4,400 of 110,000 priests were accused of molesting minors from 1950 through 2002.

That is a rate of 4%. And its just the accused, not convicted. And the 4,400 is over a period of 50 YEARS.

Now let's look at some public school statistics:

Taken from CBS news, we get this data point from a federal government report circa 2009:
    the federal report said 422,000 California public-school students would be victims before graduation — a number that dwarfs the state's entire Catholic-school enrollment of 143,000.

How many students are enrolled in California? I can't find the 2009 numbers, so lets' use the 2012 numbers. Enrollment has grown in those 4-5 years which will give us a lower percentage than it really is, but let's use it anyway. I'll take the number of 6,294,131 from the state of California government website, which is the projected enrollment

http://www.dof.ca.gov/research/demog.../k-12/view.php

422,000/6,294,131 = a rate of 6%

The John Jay Report (engaged the John Jay College of Criminal Justice of the City University of New York to conduct a study analyzing allegations of sexual abuse in Catholic dioceses in United States) determined that there were 11,000 allegations over a 50 year period from 1950 to 2002. Not all of these allegations were true of course. On average about 220 reported allegations per year.

And yet the media focus is on the Catholic school sexual abuse and not the public school sexual scandal, which is larger is size and frequency.

Yet, during the first half of 2002, the 61 largest newspapers in California ran nearly 2,000 stories about sexual abuse in Catholic institutions, mostly concerning past allegations. During the same period, those newspapers ran four stories about the federal government's discovery of the much larger — and ongoing — abuse scandal in public schools.

This is yet another example of how the media lies to you and presents a liberal view of the world. They use lies of omission. When there is news that promotes their agenda, they repeat it over and over again, with huge headlines and front-page stories. When news hurts their agenda, they almost never report it. The genius of the propaganda technique is that that cannot be accused of outright lying, they just used lies of omission. Furthermore, by running 4 stories on public school sexual abuse, they can shout down anyone who says they never report it....because after all, they did report on it FOUR times....compared to the 2000 stories attacking Catholic schools.

Amplify, repeat, stigmatize the target. In this case, religion. Rarely report on the parts of the issue that don't fit the media's agenda. Do that for 30 years, and people who get their news from nowhere besides the liberal press begin to think the Catholic church is a sexual menace and there is nothing wrong with public schools. They begin to believe big government works. And that is how you turn young minds into mush.

And this isn't the only sphere the liberal press uses lies of omission. Its all over the place, in almost every issue. They distort the facts constantly to make it appear liberalism works. This is just one glaring example of it, which is it easy to spot since we have hard data.
    Last edited by Grummgug; 2013-02-03 at 02:39 PM.

What is sickening about this whole process is child sexual abuse is being manipulated like a political football by the liberal press to advance an agenda. They don't care about the kids. Those kids getting abused sexually in public schools get no support from the press. The press does nothing to sound the alarm to get the government to clean it up. Its just allowed to continue.

And why? Because liberalism is more important to them. If they made it out to be the huge issue it really is, people would doubt that big government works. So they bury the story. That makes me want to vomit.

Deleted
    the difference between these two topics?!

the cath church winds and bows herself to get rid of state-law-investigations. schools do NOT. no teacher would allow another teacher to molest or threaten a child, if he comes to know about this. in church many of the hierarchy knew the problem and managed to hide those child fuckers! before the law. THATS the very point of outrage against (cath) Church.

btw pointing at others when you're under pressure is children-like behavior. meeeh im under investigation by state because of child molestation -- naaah look at the baaad schooolz they are far worse then we are!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    This may shock a lot of people but the facts bear it out.

Here is an Associated Press article on sexual abuse by teachers for reference:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2100144_2.html

4,400 of 110,000 priests were accused of molesting minors from 1950 through 2002.

That is a rate of 4%. And its just the accused, not convicted. And the 4,400 is over a period of 50 YEARS.

Now let's look at some public school statistics:

Taken from CBS news, we get this data point from a federal government report circa 2009:
    the federal report said 422,000 California public-school students would be victims before graduation — a number that dwarfs the state's entire Catholic-school enrollment of 143,000.

How many students are enrolled in California? I can't find the 2009 numbers, so lets' use the 2012 numbers. Enrollment has grown in those 4-5 years which will give us a lower percentage than it really is, but let's use it anyway. I'll take the number of 6,294,131 from the state of California government website, which is the projected enrollment

http://www.dof.ca.gov/research/demog.../k-12/view.php

422,000/6,294,131 = a rate of 6%

The John Jay Report (engaged the John Jay College of Criminal Justice of the City University of New York to conduct a study analyzing allegations of sexual abuse in Catholic dioceses in United States) determined that there were 11,000 allegations over a 50 year period from 1950 to 2002. Not all of these allegations were true of course. On average about 220 reported allegations per year.

And yet the media focus is on the Catholic school sexual abuse and not the public school sexual scandal, which is larger is size and frequency.

Yet, during the first half of 2002, the 61 largest newspapers in California ran nearly 2,000 stories about sexual abuse in Catholic institutions, mostly concerning past allegations. During the same period, those newspapers ran four stories about the federal government's discovery of the much larger — and ongoing — abuse scandal in public schools.

This is yet another example of how the media lies to you and presents a liberal view of the world. They use lies of omission. When there is news that promotes their agenda, they repeat it over and over again, with huge headlines and front-page stories. When news hurts their agenda, they almost never report it. The genius of the propaganda technique is that that cannot be accused of outright lying, they just used lies of omission. Furthermore, by running 4 stories on public school sexual abuse, they can shout down anyone who says they never report it....because after all, they did report on it FOUR times....compared to the 2000 stories attacking Catholic schools.

Amplify, repeat, stigmatize the target. In this case, religion. Rarely report on the parts of the issue that don't fit the media's agenda. Do that for 30 years, and people who get their news from nowhere besides the liberal press begin to think the Catholic church is a sexual menace and there is nothing wrong with public schools. They begin to believe big government works. And that is how you turn young minds into mush.

And this isn't the only sphere the liberal press uses lies of omission. Its all over the place, in almost every issue. They distort the facts constantly to make it appear liberalism works. This is just one glaring example of it, which is it easy to spot since we have hard data.
    I think there's more public schools then there are catholic schools. That might have something to do with it. That and people find that priests fiddling with little boys is a worse, becaues they're priests.
    Another difference is that the catholic church has actively hushed it up.

I'd also like to highlight this, "Not all of these allegations were true of course."

10+ Year Old Account
    Your evidence supporting your conclusion is far from scientific, and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhany View Post
    btw pointing at others when you're under pressure is children-like behavior.
    I could have added that to the propaganda technique:

1. amplify, repeat and stigmatize a target by overreporting on a negative, while shielding another group from almost all criticism when they have it worse.
    2. If the target complains about the unfair coverage, retort that "pointing at others when youre under pressure is child-like" and continue the propaganda.

That's very real. And very sad.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 06:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Your evidence supporting your conclusion is far from scientific, and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.
    The government runs the schools. The goverment itself admitted that 422,000 children in California public schools will be victims of sexual abuse.

I take it you are telling me the government is unscientific and wrong on reporting on itself?

And we get 4 stories about public school sexual abuse? For the 422,000?
    Last edited by Grummgug; 2013-02-03 at 02:50 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Add to your statistics the following equation: how many hours per week a child passes at school and how many hours per week at the church, and you might see one flaw in your logic.

You just completely misses the point: is not about who/where more abuses happen.

F.ex., what happens to a teacher if he is accused of abuse? As any normal citizen in society, he will be investigated etc. What happens to a priest? The pope will transfer him to another congregation, give him a tap in the back and say "there there".

the point is that is about time the catholic church changes its medieval administrative rules so abuses like those can be prevented.

Doesn't shock me in the least, Every girl i've known who has been in a Catholic school was a complete whore.
    But yeah I guess you can't sexually abuse those who are willing, unless it falls under the category of statutory rape.

Then again knowing the views of the catholic religion I am quite surprised they are not in favor of statutory rape simply because god created the female body the way he did so it would be breeding by 14-15 and by outlawing it until 16-18 it could be viewed as religious persecution.

And if I recall the bible correctly "it's been a few years since I took it seriously" their is a passage that states that it is less of a sin to deposit your seed in a whore than on the floor so by that ideology sex should be 100% legal for males regardless of the age as long as they have hit puberty because apparently wasting your seed be it on the floor in a sock or condom is a major sin

Come to think about it I should get back into religion as all of them seem to be written with male prosperity in mind.

That is not really shocking that abuse in public schools is far worse than in Catholic schools. There are far more public schools than Catholic ones and knowing that abusers come from all types of backgrounds it is not shocking at all. The reason why Catholic Schools get so much flack for it is simply because it is a religious school and people expect the people that follow their religions to hold to the laws of that religion. That is what makes the abuse worst in the eyes of the public is the hypocrisy that is also involved in it. Fine you don't want gay marriage, divorce, birth control, or abortion but you are willing to turn a blind eye to child sex abuse. It is the hypocrisy that most people fine to be with it not the religion itself.

The federal statistics include students attacked by other students, which I'm guessing is by far the largest proportion of those attacked. I'd say for sure, but you knew your facts were bullshit, and so didn't post that link, unlike all the others. Not to mention that the church has repeatedly lied about the abuse claims and promoted those who covered them up (including to pope) so they're not real trustworthy on the subject. And there's a pretty big reporting bias there - in 1950, you might not report your priest (to the church) for raping your son for years, but in 2010 you'll probably report the football player who grabs your tits in the lunchroom.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you're missing the point as to why Catholic sex abuse cases get so much attention.

It has nothing to do with the "liberal media agenda" conspiracy, and everything to do with the irony of priests who claim to serve god while fondling little boys.

I mean you have an exclusively male priesthood with a devotion to celibate chastity, and yet time and time again they are found guilty of sexual molestation.

It also has to do with the fact that the authoritarian Roman Catholic machine actively works to cover up these sex abuse cases.

I fail to see what's going on here. I've noticed as I've gotten older I have a much harder time deciphering the right wing "liberal agenda" bullshit. Let me sum up...tell me if I am wrong...there are more news reports on Catholic church sex crimes than sex crimes in public school...and somehow this is indicitive of a vast left wing conspiracy to...to what?

Jesus, man, unwind a bit. Go get a root beer. You will live longer.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

After reading this, I feel safe enough to send my child to catholic school/church because I know the rate of sex abuse is lower and, most importantly, if a priest WERE to molest my kid I'm confident the man would be tried and punished immediately, and certainly not aided by his catholic peers and higher ups.
    /end sarcasm

Deleted
    I went to a Catholic school, and PLOT TWIST, I wasn't abused. No one was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Kyurem View Post
    I went to a Catholic school, and PLOT TWIST, I wasn't abused. No one was.
    No one was? Ireland has some of the most high profile incidents of Roman Catholic sex abuse in the world.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post

They key point you're overlooking in the comparison is that the Catholic Church is being accused of widespread and systematic cover-up of countless other cases. You number includes only those cases which have been actively put forward. The actual number is expected to be much, much larger. It tends to get significant media attention because the institution itself has protected the abusers.

I can't really comment on the stats relating to the abuse in the California school system. The link you provided only has graduation rates. I'd be tempted to see how they are defining sexual abuse (eg, is a 18 year old football player sleeping with a teacher part of the definition) and whether teachers are the only source in the statistic. eg, if an 18 year-old sleeping with a 15 year-old mean the 15 year-old is labeled as a victim of sexual abuse.

On an unrelated note, I'm not sure how any of this relates to "liberalism".

Deleted
    The teachers in Catholic schools are not priests.

So by rights, did they check to see if the catholic teachers were also molesting children?

10+ Year Old Account
    that would be because their is much more of a aura of secrecy in catholic schools when it comes to scandals would be my guess.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    that would be because their is much more of a aura of secrecy in catholic schools when it comes to scandals would be my guess.
    Plus the fact people don't expect such a thing from a priest. It's one of the last they expect. Random person though? Much more likely.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

What do priests have to do with Catholic schools? Catholic school boards follow catholic beleifs and morals but tehy aren't part of run run by the church. There are no priests in the schools.

I went to A catholic high school years ago and the only difference between public school was they said a prayer on the announcements in the morning really. Only time a priest was in the school is if they were doing a special easter/christmas mass in the school or something.