Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Personal shops feature

What if there was an option to set a shop for our characters in any time without needing auction house? You will set a price and put it on sale. It will be a direct sale. You won't need to wait for an auction to end or go to an auction house. You will be able to put some advertising on your shop. don't say we should remove auction house but this can be a little feature.

What would you think about it?

10+ Year Old Account
    how would this ever work? do you know how much space that would take up if every single person had their own shop?
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

What would be the point of it?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    You will be able to put some advertising on your shop.
    Advertising only works IRL because each product is different and quantitative quality is ambiguous. This is why companies with excellent advertising can charge 'sheeple' more for their products (eg. iPhones (back when they were $300 w/ contract), Bose speakers).

In a game, my ore is the exact same as your ore and the differences between items are documented/theorycrafted. There's no reason for shop advertisement in a video game.

By advertising i mean you will see some of the things they sell without checking each seller.

Not just to engage in competition.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    how would this ever work? do you know how much space that would take up if every single person had their own shop?
    Works perfectly fine in other MMOs with more players per server than WoW, and they even have an offline mode for the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    What would be the point of it?
    Reading is not one of your strenghtes I suppose.

Infracted

@Darsithis: After reading the poster I quoted reply, I honestly would say that you and he are stupid.
    Last edited by mmoc59b5827c7e; 2013-02-05 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Reading is not one of your strenghtes I suppose.
    I read the OP but the future is pointless and just makes it so you never have to visit cities.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

The same amount of space it takes for us all to have are own farm I imagine.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just add "search for seller" to the AH. There ya' go.
    Last edited by Slowpoke is a Gamer; 2013-02-03 at 10:14 PM. Reason: it's seller, not buyer
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kage View Post
    except every farm occupies the same space... and each person only ever goes to their farm. It wouldn't work for a shop, as the prospect is visiting OTHER people's shops, not your own.

The only thing that I would like to add is a "search for seller" option to the auction house... I deal out a lot of items for transmog, and I can only link four (two in each line) in trade chat at any given time. It'd be nice if I could offer up my name so people could search what I have to offer on the AH.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

It would likely take a mix of the phasing system used to allow each of us our own Sunsong Ranch and also something like the Guild Finder for the advertising you spoke of.

It could certainly happen with a good bit of work.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 10:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    except every farm occupies the same space... and each person only ever goes to their farm. It wouldn't work for a shop, as the prospect is visiting OTHER people's shops, not your own.

The only thing that I would like to add is a "search for seller" option to the auction house... I deal out a lot of items for transmog, and I can only link four (two in each line) in trade chat at any given time. It'd be nice if I could offer up my name so people could search what I have to offer on the AH.
    Why couldn't they all occupy the same space? Using a Guild Finder function to advertise and teleport them in to the shop.

Reminds me of tunnel trading or the bazaar in EQ1. Except, now they could utilize some modern technology like phasing to combat the lag from all the peoples.

The way it works in other MMOs atleast ones I play is that you select the items you want to sell, set a price and sit in town AFK while other plays can run by see what you have and the prices, it does the trading for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why couldn't they all occupy the same space? Using a Guild Finder function to advertise and teleport them in to the shop.
    Because that'd be a hell of a lot of ads to slog through. Unless they set the buy-in price for a shop to be extremely high to keep out all the "plz buy stuffs hear plox!" riff-raff, everything would become extremely crowded.

Honestly, I don't think it would really work for anything beyond "unique" items like pets, high-end crafted items, and maybe rare transmog items. No one really cares where they get crafting mats like ore, gems, and cloth from as there's no distinction between them, and in a shop situation, it'd be difficult, or at least annoying, to continually undercut the competition for them.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh right so nobody could ever see yoour shop? thats a great idea. and even if they could see it if they are in a group with you whats the point when you could just go trade with somebody?

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 10:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hoppins View Post
    The way it works in other MMOs atleast ones I play is that you select the items you want to sell, set a price and sit in town AFK while other plays can run by see what you have and the prices, it does the trading for you.
    so... the auction house?
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

Because that'd be a hell of a lot of ads to slog through. Unless they set the buy-in price for a shop to be extremely high to keep out all the "plz buy stuffs hear plox!" riff-raff, everything would become extremely crowded.

Honestly, I don't think it would really work for anything beyond "unique" items like pets, high-end crafted items, and maybe rare transmog items. No one really cares where they get crafting mats like ore, gems, and cloth from as there's no distinction between them, and in a shop situation, it'd be difficult, or at least annoying, to continually undercut the competition for them.
    I assume they could use similar methods to cross-realm zones to regulate shop traffic. As well as a sophisticated filter system to get people to the shops they want to be in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I read the OP but the future is pointless and just makes it so you never have to visit cities.
    How ironic would that be?

I think it's kind of an interesting idea.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

oh right so nobody could ever see yoour shop? thats a great idea. and even if they could see it if they are in a group with you whats the point when you could just go trade with somebody?
    As I said previously in the thread. A sophisticated Guild Finder-style interface to help find you to the shops you wanna be in then you port the customers in like a Dungeon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I assume they could use similar methods to cross-realm zones to regulate shop traffic. As well as a sophisticated filter system to get people to the shops they want to be in.
    Sophisticated filter? Who's to say people wont just set their shop up as "all of the above" so they get the most amount of traffic browsing through?

If you look at games with user made (in this case, regulated) content, people go to insane lengths to try and get people to look at their stuff, for whatever reason. People would make shops into a great big pain in the neck...
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Sophisticated filter? Who's to say people wont just set their shop up as "all of the above" so they get the most amount of traffic browsing through?

If you look at games with user made (in this case, regulated) content, people go to insane lengths to try and get people to look at their stuff, for whatever reason. People would make shops into a great big pain in the neck...
    Yes. Making a filter that works would likely be the toughest part.