Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    So would the governments allow for the ownership of say .22 rifles for target shooting purposes? Just curious, since I do enjoy some target shooting. (A .22 is the only rifle I personally own, my dad has quite a bit more, and his can be more fun to shoot in some cases)
    You assume i know what the hell calibers are...

15+ Year Old Account
    Or rather, when it's used smartly, instead of stupidly. (Like some countries do, or many do)

Also, tbh I feel a lot more comfortable with the way Scandinavian countries are run, as compared to how the United States is ran, maybe I'm just a traitor or something.....

Question, are guns completely banned in the Scandinavian countries, or are they just heavily controlled?
    I can only speak for Sweden here, but to my understanding (not a gun person myself) it's not terribly difficult to get a gun for hunting here, but you obviously need a number of licenses and a proper safe to store your gun(s) in. They can't be loaded when you're not using them and carrying a gun in public is illegal (except for police officers). They're not really used for self defence here, and I'm fairly sure hunting rifles comprise the vast majority of guns in Sweden.

It should be noted that I'm not exactly an authority on this, so I may be wrong on any of those points.

So would the governments allow for the ownership of say .22 rifles for target shooting purposes? Just curious, since I do enjoy some target shooting. (A .22 is the only rifle I personally own, my dad has quite a bit more, and his can be more fun to shoot in some cases)
    In Sweden, probably. I went to some kind of hunting fair with my uncle once, and there was quite a bit of target shooting going on there. It's not a very common activity, though.
    Last edited by lzsg; 2013-02-03 at 11:30 PM.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Deleted
    In Finland acquiring firearms, including handguns, isn't hard. Most owners however know to handle them because most of us are reservists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/

Don't let me get in the way of any circlejerking though.
    Wait what, I mean I'm okay with those stats, but Switzerland has such a low civic engagement score, teh fuck, i think I read that shit wrong

(Oh I guess I see where the problems come from, 50% average voter turnout, yeah happens when you get to vote 4-6 times a year <.< outside of election year)

Well, still the a flower anyway, without being vikings!
    Last edited by DieFichte; 2013-02-03 at 11:36 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    You assume i know what the hell calibers are...
    He means little bullets, not big ones like the Military use.

Quote Originally Posted by lzsg View Post
    I can only speak for Sweden here, but to my understanding (not a gun person myself) it's not terribly difficult to get a gun for hunting here, but you obviously need a number of licenses and a proper safe to store your gun(s) in. They can't be loaded when you're not using them and carrying a gun in public is illegal (except for police officers). They're not really used for self defence here, and I'm fairly sure hunting rifles comprise the vast majority of guns in Sweden.

It should be noted that I'm not exactly an authority on this, so I may be wrong on any of those points.

In Sweden, probably. I went to some kind of hunting fair with my uncle once, and there was quite a bit of target shooting going on there. It's not a very common activity, though.
    http://satwcomic.com/wild-ghost

Satw illustrates perfectly how little Danes are used to hunting and guns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Well you can't argue that the way the US is currently going hasn't been a complete disaster. And his country/neighbouring countries have consistently topped pretty much every happiness scale ever made.
    Not really, considering Latin American countries always rank at the top of those. That is, even if you can quantify such a thing
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    iirc, isnt the .22 the smallest common caliber, and usually lightweight?
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I think of us Sweds as rather passive-aggressive. We have a lot of strong opinions but we don't really voice them.
    No offense but every one of the Scandinavian nations seems to have mastered the art of the Humblebrag.

You have an entire industry based around consulting foreign governments on "How to be awesome like us" (My words, not theirs)... and your government publishes their statistics and reports in English.

It's like that dude who doesn't want to talk about how much money he earns but will totally talk about all the exotic locations he's visited and how much he hates being forced to drive the Ferrari around town because of its shitty gas mileage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    No offense but every one of the Scandinavian nations seems to have mastered the art of the Humblebrag.
    Pretty spot on.

The faults, however, are seldom voiced. Left leaning Americans are usually shocked to find out that Scandinavians are pretty damn racist compared to the US for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize
    and your government publishes their statistics and reports in English.
    Why wouldn't we? Many people globally trade with our countries, and most of them do not understand our native languages. There's no reason not to do the translating work for them. Just like pretty much every European nation does, and many "exotic" nations.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2013-02-03 at 11:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    iirc, isnt the .22 the smallest common caliber, and usually lightweight?
    Pretty much, it is the most common round in the world and light enough for children to use with no issues. Still deadly, but you will not be sniping headshots at 800m with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Found a site selling hunting rifles.
    http://www.thegunroom.dk/category/jagtrifler-83.html
    I looked it up. Hunting rifles only require a hunting permit which lasts a year. Other kinds of guns require a weapons permit which must be renewed every 10 years. So if it runs out you have to get rid of the weapons - theoretically. Dont know if that is actually done.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://satwcomic.com/wild-ghost

Satw illustrates perfectly how little Danes are used to hunting and guns.
    Haha, yeah. Do you really have anything you could hunt if you wanted to, though?
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post

You have an entire industry based around consulting foreign governments on "How to be awesome like us" (My words, not theirs)... and your government publishes their statistics and reports in English.

It's like that dude who doesn't want to talk about how much money he earns but will totally talk about all the exotic locations he's visited and how much he hates being forced to drive the Ferrari around town because of its shitty gas mileage.
    Ironically the Scandinavian countries dont adhere to the Jante law

We shall unite to one country! Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland unite! (We will conquer Earth)

Quote Originally Posted by lzsg View Post
    Haha, yeah. Do you really have anything you could hunt if you wanted to, though?
    I hear badgers are our largest predator.

Lots of deer though.

Deleted
    Found a site selling hunting rifles.
    http://www.thegunroom.dk/category/jagtrifler-83.html
    I looked it up. Hunting rifles only require a hunting permit which lasts a year. Other kinds of guns require a weapons permit which must be renewed every 10 years. So if it runs out you have to get rid of the weapons - theoretically. Dont know if that is actually done.
    Holy crap @ those prices, I thought gun prices in the UK were high.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Why wouldn't we? Many people globally trade with our countries, and most of them do not understand our native languages. There's no reason not to do the translating work for them. Just like pretty much every European nation does, and many "exotic" nations.
    Pff, don't lie, we are all just nice people!

(But after our government translated all the information from them into 4 different languages anyway, I guess a 5th doesn't hurt)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Pretty spot on.

The faults, however, are seldom voiced. Left leaning Americans are usually shocked to find out that Scandinavians are pretty damn racist compared to the US for example.

Why wouldn't we?
    Maybe this isn't fair since its anecdotal and extremely limited in scope, but I met a Nowegian guy in Britain and he said "are you sure you're American? You sound American, but you look Spanish or Mexican".

I'm half black.

I'm not claiming that they have a racism issue though as I honestly don't know (immigration?). I know Anglosphere nations have tenuous histories with race but are pretty good about it today.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    Pff, don't lie, we are all just nice people!
    Not really about being nice, but trying to be globally competetive.