Thread: 10 Day Week

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10 days is no less arbitrary, and no calendar-making body has the authority to just grant people 5 days off a year. Apart from a day where EVERYONE has the day off being unfeasible, an employee's work schedule is between employee and employer.

They tried a 10 day week somewhere before, some country in europe or northern asia? It failed. The people grew exhausted and rioted.

7 day week is perfect, 5-6 days of work, 1-2 days of rest. It's God-ordained, so why should we deviate?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Yes. We won't really discuss it here (discussion of religion is not allowed), but yes, it has religious roots. It is not based on nature.
    Well, it's likely that the religious root is nature-based. A lunar month is about 29.5 days, and the easiest way to break that down is into two "half-moons" of 14 days, which can be subdivided into "quarter-moons" of 7, with a few offset days thrown in. But this is dating back into prehistory, and now we're discussing the origin of significant numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yeah, the problem with the 5 day week is either you have a 2 day weekend, in which case you lose a ton of productive time, or you have a 1 day weekend, in which case you lose a ton of downtime. You could alternate and have A/B weeks, I suppose. But I think leap weeks are better than 73 5 day weeks, because you'd have to have a mini-month one week long at some point in the year, which would just be weird.
    I see no possible issue with a system that's three days on, two off. None. We don't need to maximize "productive time". That's a piece of malarkey pushed by corporations who want to maximize their value per dollar of salary. If they could push people to 6 days a week or more, they would, which is why there's laws preventing that in most Western nations.

We're moving into a more and more automated world. We need people less and less to do grunt work, in all industries, because technology makes those jobs easier and faster. This is the portion of growing unemployment that nobody mentions. There's three solutions long-term;

1> Create useless "busywork" jobs to keep people employed. This is wasteful and annoying to literally everyone.
    2> Move to a socialized wealth distribution system, like a basic income guarantee, where every citizen receives a comfortable income from the government (say, $30-35,000 per person by current wealth levels, varying slightly with regional differences), and working provides additional income that is heavily taxed, say 50% or more, even for small amounts of income. Even if you're making a million a year, you're getting that $30,000/year check from the government.
    3> The likely more acceptable option to most, just reduce the workweek. Instead of hiring one guy to work 60-70 hours per 7-day week (which isn't uncommon, especially in professional positions), hire 2 to work 30-35/week. Or reduce it even less. If we're wealthier as a nation, that wealth should translate into greater amounts of free time, for everyone. Sure, corporations would hate this, since they're paying more for less work. That's their problem, though. If it cuts into the profit margins, so be it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Well, it's likely that the religious root is nature-based. A lunar month is about 29.5 days, and the easiest way to break that down is into two "half-moons" of 14 days, which can be subdivided into "quarter-moons" of 7, with a few offset days thrown in. But this is dating back into prehistory, and now we're discussing the origin of significant numbers.

I see no possible issue with a system that's three days on, two off. None. We don't need to maximize "productive time". That's a piece of malarkey pushed by corporations who want to maximize their value per dollar of salary. If they could push people to 6 days a week or more, they would, which is why there's laws preventing that in most Western nations.

We're moving into a more and more automated world. We need people less and less to do grunt work, in all industries, because technology makes those jobs easier and faster. This is the portion of growing unemployment that nobody mentions. There's three solutions long-term;

1> Create useless "busywork" jobs to keep people employed. This is wasteful and annoying to literally everyone.
    2> Move to a socialized wealth distribution system, like a basic income guarantee, where every citizen receives a comfortable income from the government (say, $30-35,000 per person by current wealth levels, varying slightly with regional differences), and working provides additional income that is heavily taxed, say 50% or more, even for small amounts of income. Even if you're making a million a year, you're getting that $30,000/year check from the government.
    3> The likely more acceptable option to most, just reduce the workweek. Instead of hiring one guy to work 60-70 hours per 7-day week (which isn't uncommon, especially in professional positions), hire 2 to work 30-35/week. Or reduce it even less. If we're wealthier as a nation, that wealth should translate into greater amounts of free time, for everyone. Sure, corporations would hate this, since they're paying more for less work. That's their problem, though. If it cuts into the profit margins, so be it.
    I think I might be able to get behind that, but you'd end up with 219 (minus holidays) total annual workdays instead of the current 260 (minus holidays). I don't think you could get people to go for it.

If you could, though, what would you do with the extra 5 day work week? Does it end up being its own micro-month?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    Because then you'd have to tell girls that you're going to love them 11 days a week.

Bah! too much effort

What would we call the extra 4 Days? Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, ------, -------, ---------, -----------.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nayelie View Post
    What would we call the extra 4 Days? Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, ------, -------, ---------, -----------.
    Probably come up with new day names, or name them off of other ancient deities, like the current days are.

So either you could go:

Oneday
    Twoday
    Threeday
    Fourday
    Fiveday
    Sixday
    Sevenday
    Eightday
    Nineday
    Tenday

Or you could go:

Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday
    Odinsday
    Janusday
    Vishnuday

As an example.

Probably come up with new day names, or name them off of other ancient deities, like the current days are.

So either you could go:

Oneday
    Twoday
    Threeday
    Fourday
    Fiveday
    Sixday
    Sevenday
    Eightday
    Nineday
    Tenday

Or you could go:

Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday
    Odinsday
    Janusday
    Vishnuday

As an example.
    Wednesday is Odinsday...

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I might be able to get behind that, but you'd end up with 219 (minus holidays) total annual workdays instead of the current 260 (minus holidays). I don't think you could get people to go for it.
    So to get the same work done, you need to hire about 18% more people. Bam, rising unemployement solved. Which was more or less my point.

If you could, though, what would you do with the extra 5 day work week? Does it end up being its own micro-month?
    If we're eliminating the week, we're also eliminating the month as a tool of measurement, especially since they're wildly inconsistent anyway.

The easiest way would probably be to have four "quarters" of the year, already a division used fairly often (seasons, quarterly reports, etc), and then subdivide those somehow.

Sure, we might end up with floating week, but stick that at the year's end and declare it a week long holiday. It's the New Year festivities, including Christmas and Hanukkah and whatnot. Every time you need to adjust things for a leap year or whatnot, tag the extra day on there. It's no whackier than the current system, at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Wednesday is Odinsday...
    Wednesday is Woden's Day, which is a counterpart to Odin. I guess that's too close though. Maybe Mazday for Ahura Mazda?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wednesday is Woden's Day, which is a counterpart to Odin.
    Odin is Woden. Same dude, different spelling. It's like debating the difference between Jesus Christ and Yeshua bin Yosef. They're not counterparts, they're just variations in spelling.

So you're basicly suggesting a 5 day week but (FE.) even weeks having 4 workdays and 1 day off and uneven weeks having 3 workdays and 2 days off?
    no tyvm

10+ Year Old Account
    So to get the same work done, you need to hire about 18% more people. Bam, rising unemployement solved. Which was more or less my point.

If we're eliminating the week, we're also eliminating the month as a tool of measurement, especially since they're wildly inconsistent anyway.

The easiest way would probably be to have four "quarters" of the year, already a division used fairly often (seasons, quarterly reports, etc), and then subdivide those somehow.

Sure, we might end up with floating week, but stick that at the year's end and declare it a week long holiday. It's the New Year festivities, including Christmas and Hanukkah and whatnot. Every time you need to adjust things for a leap year or whatnot, tag the extra day on there. It's no whackier than the current system, at least.
    I think a month is a useful unit. It's good to break the year up into more than 4 and less than 73 divisions for accounting and billing purposes.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 07:38 PM ----------

Odin is Woden. Same dude, different spelling. It's like debating the difference between Jesus Christ and Yeshua bin Yosef. They're not counterparts, they're just variations in spelling.
    Wikipedia suggests that while they were similar, there are differences between Odin and Woden, Woden being a proto-Germanic god, and Odin being a Norse god. They apparently had different attributes and weren't a straight up Greco-Roman style copy.

weeks are based on a jewish christian belief that the earth and heavens took 6 days to create and rest on the 7th. this was established when the early version of our calender was created. it was also the closest to accurate calender at that time having 10 months 2 months would be added at a later time but the 7day weeks would stick. today we know the earth takes about 365.25 days to orbit the sun leaving us with a "Leap year" every 4 years due to .25 days over 4 years. the 4 .25 days add up to 1 day giving that year 366 days. the 30 and 31 days per month is based on the original calender that divided up evenly under the 30 and 31 system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    weeks are based on a jewish christian belief that the earth and heavens took 6 days to create and rest on the 7th. this was established when the early version of our calender was created. it was also the closest to accurate calender at that time having 10 months 2 months would be added at a later time but the 7day weeks would stick. today we know the earth takes about 365.25 days to orbit the sun leaving us with a "Leap year" every 4 years due to .25 days over 4 years. the 4 .25 days add up to 1 day giving that year 366 days. the 30 and 31 days per month is based on the original calender that divided up evenly under the 30 and 31 system.
    The calendar our modern calendar is based on were created before Christianity existed. I think earlier posters in this thread may be right that it has more to do with lunar phases.

The calendar our modern calendar is based on were created before Christianity existed. I think earlier posters in this thread may be right that it has more to do with lunar phases.
    kind of when the christian moved in and started converting pagans they adopted some ideas such as the months and some holidays and fused it with there ideas which include the 7day week

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, the companies would end up raising the price of their products to compensate for the extra personnel they'd have to take on. Probably wouldn't end well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is a video talking about leap year which is relevant to your question OP.

Few things to consider 24h is physicalyl based on our own rotation and the number of days is how many rotations fit into one rotation around the Sun. the rest are purely arbitrary numbers that made up to divide/add/subtract the length of time to try and fit one rotation into another. Why do we have 7 days vs 10....well due to Babylonians and religious history. If our events took a different path we could have had 12 days (which would probably make the most sense given how much easier it is to divide by 3rd and 4ths) but that is history and it is so rooted in so many religious that science math cannot change it at this point

For scientific purposes the Standard date/calendar/weeks/etc is not even used. Astronomers/scientists/mathematicians that need to be accurate when it comes to days (especially when it comes to things like space-related matters) use something called Julian Date. So for math's sake a 10 or 12 or 5 day system would not make any difference, for historical/religious reasons it would just not work

10+ Year Old Account
    The French tried this after the Revolution, no one liked it.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I agree a week should consist of 10 days.
    But the Average work week should still be considered 40 hours, and anything more than that should still be considered overtime.

that way I could Work 5 days a week 8 hours a day then have 5 days to recover. with 5 days off.

Though to be honest I would like to see full time employment sitting at 32 hours per week that way people could just work 3 days for 12 hours each, which would give them a better opportunity to pick up a 2nd part time job and increase their income.