Poll: Do you think this is a good change to Professions?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I hope they do this for leatherworking too, because my hunter alt is right around 260'ish when everything needs about 12-18 pieces of a special type of leather to make one piece and that leather only drops off specific mobs. He's too low to far outland and too high for most azerothian beats so my only option is to run dungeons and skin there. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Somewowguy View Post
    WoW is an mmo. Mmo tradeskills, imo, should be a pain in the ass. Theres plenty of players that dont have profs, and they dont have them because they dont want to put in the time it takes. This game is getting better and better...for casuals and non mmo players. Pokemon had to add IVs, EVs, Natures, etc so Asian kids dont get bored, WoW has to put in past content skips, because multi expansion tradeskills are just too complicated and time consuming for the average American/European.

/sigh.
    Proffessions like Mining, Skinning and Herbalism will still require you to fly around the world to level up. All this change does is make it so you don't have to do that with crafting proffessions.

My question is what happens next xpac? Will it be updated or will people need a zillion ghost iron. With cooking you leveled using mostly ,mats from the cooking ingredients vendor m

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Proffessions like Mining, Skinning and Herbalism will still require you to fly around the world to level up. All this change does is make it so you don't have to do that with crafting proffessions.
    Thoses professions are easy to level up, i mean, you have to mine for about what ? 10 minutes ? To learn the melting of a new mineral ...

Well, the thing is, even if Ghost iron cost more gold to buy on the Ah it would still be something you can farm yourself for free. And I really doubt that the price will rise that much. On my server a stack of 20 is going for around 30 - 40g. I would think with this change it might rise to 60 - 100g at the most.

I'm not sure if other proffessions like enchanting are going to be changed in the same way so I can't really comment on how a change like this would effect them. However I think enchanting could use a similar change simply because its pretty tough to level.
    You cannot farm ore for free but that is whole other debate and do you think you will get a look in when the market for bots to sell to has increased? If the price of ore more than doubles so will the cost of gems and as most enchanting mats are produced as a byproduct from JC so will the cost enchants.

Deleted
    Tbh, I can't seem to remember any time where BSing was hard to level up. Although I've only leveled it on like 3 toons and that was some time in the past.

Also, it would be about time to make enchanting less painful by not making me click every single enchant roll/trash item for every single damn skill point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    I've done both blacksmithing and engineering a few times since 4.0. I found engineering much easier than blacksmithing. It requires far fewer mats, and if I remember right there was only one thing that required a little bit of leather. The cloth requirement was annoying, though.

I also tried leatherworking recently...it was much worse than blacksmithing. x_X
    Yeah Im glad I leveled LW while skinning a long time ago but I still had to buy leather from the AH because it uses so much.

I leveled BS twice in Cata and the only bad thing about it was the amount of mats it required. But thats not so bad because its the same mat and you just fly a few more circuits while mining, you dont have to go to a whole different area. Doing Eng at the same time, it still required a lot of ore and then you had to go somewhere else and gather all the other strange mats(usually the Ah or my guildbank with old mats).

Oh and you can recoup your BS leveling costs a little by DEing everything while Eng makes a lot of white gadgets that you just waste for fun in leveling dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    I think Blizz backed themselves into a corner with CRZ and this is their fix to the inconvenice it causes when farming low level mats.
    I really don't think Blizz ever intended stacks of copper ore to go for such high prices. This is just them getting around to doing something about it.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

A couple of interesting thoughts occurred to me as soon as I read the concept.

1. This will seriously screw-over large portions of the server economy. Especially those portions that spend hours farming low-end ore's to sell for outrageous prices on the AH.
    2. Trying to farm Ghost Iron will become a nightmare unless they increase the spawn-rate.
    3. I think virtually all professions could use some form of tweak to the leveling process. For instance JC and Enchanting can be nightmares to level. However Alchemy and Tailoring really aren't that hard.

Over-all I suspect that these sort of changes will eventually make their way to all professions. Eventually.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have just levelled blacksmithing and engineering at the same time and had no trouble at all. This change isnt needed imo. It will just make ghost iron have a higher demand.

If anybody spends a little time and effort to farm the older materials it isnt hard at all.

Deleted
    I still don't get why they are doing that, why are they encouraging peoples to have all the professions on their chars by making it easily grindable ? It will simply kill the market and stop the trade due to the fact that everyone will now craft what they want, the professions were a good way to maintain a decent trade cause they were time-consuming and cause peoples don't wanted to grind them, there is still many peoples without any profession, so what will happen ?
    Everyone will have every prof, and trading will be ended.

Ya, and next expansion they'll be "MEGA-NODES", where you can click on a node and get 100 skill points. Exaggeration, but WoW is currently the face of the mmo genre, and every change like this is making the mmo genre lose its roots. I like challenging, time consuming, exploration encouraging things. This, is the opposite. This is mcdonalds being held by a WWF wrestler while shooting a rocket launcher. This is a change for the lowest common denominator. Blizzard is making it very easy for real gamers to move on.
    Last edited by Somewowguy; 2013-02-04 at 07:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, eventually all crafting professions will have this way of lvling it.
    Surrounded by idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Feio View Post
    Tbh, I can't seem to remember any time where BSing was hard to level up. Although I've only leveled it on like 3 toons and that was some time in the past.

Also, it would be about time to make enchanting less painful by not making me click every single enchant roll/trash item for every single damn skill point.
    It was terrible in TBC when you needed to buy recipes for Thorium from Gagetzan.

Quote Originally Posted by Feio View Post

Leveling BS isn't hard. It is, however, VERY time consuming. Unless you are stupid rich and can afford to pay the ungodly prices charged for most low-level ore's, then expect to spend a VERY, VERY, long time farming them. Especially as some ore's are farmed heavily by level 90's in CRZ's. I know I leveled my BS via farming and some segments (Fel Iron, comes to mind, and Mithril) took a very long time as I was always competing with other people.

And yes...Enchanting and JC are both painful and very expensive to level.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    I think Blizz backed themselves into a corner with CRZ and this is their fix to the inconvenice it causes when farming low level mats.
    I agree with this completely, if all of the profs dont see something similar before the expac is over i would be shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    Leveling BS isn't hard. It is, however, VERY time consuming. Unless you are stupid rich and can afford to pay the ungodly prices charged for most low-level ore's, then expect to spend a VERY, VERY, long time farming them. Especially as some ore's are farmed heavily by level 90's in CRZ's. I know I leveled my BS via farming and some segments (Fel Iron, comes to mind, and Mithril) took a very long time as I was always competing with other people.

And yes...Enchanting and JC are both painful and very expensive to level.
    It is more difficult now with way you randomly learn JC recipes but there is no reason why you should not end up with an overall profit leveling both JC and enchanting.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    I agree with this completely, if all of the profs dont see something similar before the expac is over i would be shocked.
    That was my initial feeling too

i think this is a horrible idea....yes there will be less hassle going around azeroth to hunt ores, but now as this should dramatically increase the price on ghost iron ore it will be all that much harder to find it in the open world resulting in practically the same outcome, resorting to having to buy on the AH for extremely exhorbitant prices. And lets be honest it really isn't all that difficult to level profs.....i just leveled engineering in like 5 days from 1-525 and thats just logging on periodically from time to time to mine. I agree that something should be done to bring leveling professions back in line with character leveling but this is taking a sledgehammer to fix something that requires minor tweaks. If there isnt significant improvements instead of simply catering to the mewling kids on servers i will prolly have to unsub at least until return of the BL.

Because farming mats is tough.

Seriously, why don't they just give you max professions at level 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Somewowguy View Post
    because multi expansion tradeskills are just too complicated and time consuming for the average American/European.

/sigh.
    I think you're conflating complicated and boring.