Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I fail to understand why finding his bones is important...
    Among other reasons, Richard III was the last British monarch to die in battle and his remains had been missing for some time. For awhile there was a theory that one of his successors chucked his body into a nearby river so this puts that to rest.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I fail to understand why finding his bones is important...
    He is one of the most famous Monarchs in history this is a huge archeological find.

Is he the reason there were no more kings named Richard?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    Is he the reason there were no more kings named Richard?
    The same reason there have only been 2 Elizabeths, 1 Victoria and 1 Robert. Plenty of names to choose from, so no need to repeat too much.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    The same reason there have only been 2 Elizabeths, 1 Victoria and 1 Robert. Plenty of names to choose from, so no need to repeat too much.
    Well, I ment more along the lines of why there was only one John

Deleted
    Well, I ment more along the lines of why there was only one John
    John sounds awfully common, not kingly at all.

Just add another 20 names after that and its fine. Thats what all other royal people do.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    Just add another 20 names after that and its fine. Thats what all other royal people do.
    Nobody ever remembers all those names though, most people still call the Queen of England Liz or Lizzie. I sure as hell don't know all of her names and titles.

See, when we were in 8th grade US History, we went over some laws, treaties, some Greek stuff etc that the founders may have taken from to base our laws and other things on. We were told that John of England was a disappointment, because he loosened the crown's grip over England by signing the Manga Carta, as well as being a bad King in general, and that was the reason why the name John was "retired".

Deleted
    See, when we were in 8th grade US History, we went over some laws, treaties, some Greek stuff etc that the founders may have taken from to base our laws and other things on. We were told that John of England was a disappointment, because he loosened the crown's grip over England by signing the Manga Carta, as well as being a bad King in general, and that was the reason why the name John was "retired".
    You cannot retire a name, there were much worse monarchs than John, some real bloodthirsty nutters that spawned other monarchs of the same name.

You cannot retire a name, there were much worse monarchs than John, some real bloodthirsty nutters that spawned other monarchs of the same name.
    Well, yeah, obviously you can't retire names, it was just the way the teacher implied that the name may have been shameful after that. That's why I'm asking an Englishman if there is any reason why names just stopped being used.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    He is one of the most famous Monarchs in history this is a huge archeological find.
    One of the most famous monarchs in British history.

For some reason, a lot of people in this thread seem to be under the impression this guy is world-known. He's not. Richard the Lionheart is known all over the world for having fought in the Crusades. Henry VIII is for having transformed his country into a protestant one. Elisabeth I is world known for having defeated the Spanish Armada (although she had weather on her side, but that's besides the point). Queen Victoria for her huge empire.

No one outside Britain knows about Richard III besides the people that are really interested in history so saying he's one of the most famous monarchs in history is quite a leap. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not trying to invalidate this discovery or say that it's useless or slander this king, I'm just noticing a lot of people overestimating the awareness of his existence among foreigners.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    No one outside Britain knows about Richard III besides the people that are really interested in history so saying he's one of the most famous monarchs in history is quite a leap. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not trying to invalidate this discovery or say that it's useless or slander this king, I'm just noticing a lot of people overestimating the awareness of his existence among foreigners.
    Alot of Americans will recognize this name from Shakespear. It is widely read and alot of high schools, colleges, and Shakespeare traveling plays do this one alot. Now when it comes to exact history no chance.

I'm just noticing a lot of people overestimating the awareness of his existence among foreigners.
    Or apparently your awareness of famous literature! Just sayin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Or apparently your awareness of famous literature! Just sayin.
    So he is one of the most famous monarchs in history because he's the basis of one of the less significant works of the most famous (probably) writer in history?
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-02-04 at 07:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone educate me on Richard the third.

What year was his reign? How did he die? And why the hell is he buried under a car park? (WTF is a car park? is that where cars go to play golf?)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    car park? (WTF is a car park? is that where cars go to play golf?)

mny sarcasm detector is broken. are you serious? maybe they have different name in the US, i think you call them "parking lots". a car park is a place you park your car.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    mny sarcasm detector is broken. are you serious? maybe they have different name in the US, i think you call them "parking lots". a car park is a place you park your car.
    Yes, I was being an ass, but I honestly didn't realize the translation of "Car Park" was "Parking Lot".

Its like Fish and Chips, is called Fried Fish n French Fries in US. . . . damn now I want some with malt vinegar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Someone educate me on Richard the third.

What year was his reign? How did he die? And why the hell is he buried under a car park? (WTF is a car park? is that where cars go to play golf?)
    The car park was built over the remains of the church he was originally buried in. When Henry VIII created the Church of England, he ordered all non-Anglican churches destroyed which included the Greyfriars monastery. Any monuments indicated Richard was buried there were eventually lost over time and people just plain forgot he was buried there.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Deleted
    One of the most famous monarchs in British history.

For some reason, a lot of people in this thread seem to be under the impression this guy is world-known. He's not. Richard the Lionheart is known all over the world for having fought in the Crusades. Henry VIII is for having transformed his country into a protestant one. Elisabeth I is world known for having defeated the Spanish Armada (although she had weather on her side, but that's besides the point). Queen Victoria for her huge empire.

He is well known due to Shakespeare, I don't think anybody that speaks English has never heard of Shakespeare. His works are required reading in most Anglosphere schools, not to mention several movie adaptions and parodies on TV (Blackadder).