Thread: 10 Day Week

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Wednesday is Woden's Day, which is a counterpart to Odin. I guess that's too close though. Maybe Mazday for Ahura Mazda?
    Onsdag is the danish word for Wednesday - which is short for Odins day. All the weekdays are norse gods except monday which is moon day and sunday which is, well, duh. Saturday = Lørdag means washing day.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The previous calendar changes were done out of necessity. We moved away from the lunar calendar because it ended up making summer be in Winter, harvest in Spring (see the whole mess with Ramadan coinciding with the Olympic Games in 2012 and the question of whether the Muslim athletes should fast or not which would ruin their chances of winning anything). We moved away from the Julian calendar because, while it did away with the whole "reap the harvest in Winter this year, reap it in Spring next year" thing, it still couldn't handle leap-years properly. Indeed, the Julian calendar is nearly a fortnight out of sync right now.
    That didn't have to be the case though. Look at the Jewish calender. It's a lunar based calender but it compensates by adding a leap month every few years. (That's why the jewish holidays move around every year but never drift too far.) The leap month periodically pushes the whole calender back into alignment and keeps everything in the right place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Onsdag is the danish word for Wednesday - which is short for Odins day. All the weekdays are norse gods except monday which is moon day and sunday which is, well, duh. Saturday = Lørdag means washing day.
    Moon day, Tyr's day, Woden's Day, Thor's day, Freya's day, Saturn's day, Sun day. Yup.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Moon day, Tyr's day, Woden's Day, Thor's day, Freya's day, Saturn's day, Sun day. Yup.
    ODINSDAY AND LØRDAY dangit!

If you need to steal our mythology do it right :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    ODINSDAY AND LØRDAY dangit!

If you need to steal our mythology do it right :P
    Haha, we only partially stole Norse mythology for our day names though. Some of it is Roman, some Germanic. I'm thinking we should totally add Hindi and Zoroastrian, though I guess it's best if we use dead religions, and there are still a couple thousand Zoroastrians in the world I think, and about a billion Hindus.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

What about some Aztec names?

Quetzalcóatlday, Tlalocday and Huitzilopochtliday!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    What about some Aztec names?

Quetzalcóatlday, Tlalocday and Huitzilopochtliday!
    My tongue just tied a knot...

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Or we could just name them after regular people. Stevesday, Bobsday, Jennifersday...

Deleted
    The hours and minutes are based on a Babylonian base 60 system, while the day cycle is (as far as I remember) Egyptian, where they'd count the rise of certain stars at certain intervals and thereby set the cycle from one rise to the next the following day.

The French tried to switch to metric, or decimal, time shortly after the revolution in the late 1700's but it never really caught on and was done away with after a decade or so.