10+ Year Old Account

52 inch HDTV gtx 460 m no lag??

I hooked my hdmi cable upto my lcd tv and surprisingly there is no lag at all. no fps dips...but when i hook it up to an external monitor it does the opposite. Anyone care to explain?

rig specs:

i7 2.9ghz
    16gb 1333mhz ram
    7200 rpm hybrid sdd 1tb drive
    gtx 460m 1.5gb
    Last edited by holyforce; 2013-02-05 at 06:04 PM. Reason: 52 inch at 1900x1080
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

Deleted
    is that a desktop with a gtx 460m?
    also what kind of resolution is the TV? might be lower compared to the monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    The desktop mointor is 21 inch @ 1600x900 the tv is higher then that, not sure the resolution. And no its not a desktop is an Asus G73SW-j gaming laptop
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

your monitor shouldnt cause any lag. its the resuloution that causes the lag.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by holyforce View Post
    The desktop mointor is 21 inch @ 1600x900 the tv is higher then that, not sure the resolution. And no its not a desktop is an Asus G73SW-j gaming laptop
    what are the refresh rates of both screens? (im thinking the tv one is lower so you can't see any fps dips because it is 30Hz perhaps?)

I believe that 460m is mobile, meaning laptop.

Are we dealing with a laptop here? If so, your LCDTV could be a lower resolution than your external monitor as shroudster mentioned.

Higher resolutions mean that you graphics card has to work harder. Usually, with today's cards higher resolutions don't have as much of a performance hit as they used to. I have no idea if that carries over to laptop cards.

Also, check your VSYNC option. It could be that your external monitor is causing your FPS to be cut in half because of VSYNC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unus View Post
    your monitor shouldnt cause any lag. its the resuloution that causes the lag.
    Then how does a HDTV LCD @ 52 inches and a much higher resolution run better, then a external monitor. just a side note the external monitor is DVI and the TV hookup is HDMI

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 06:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    what are the refresh rates of both screens? (im thinking the tv one is lower so you can't see any fps dips because it is 30Hz perhaps?)
    Its a 120/60 hz refresh rate.
    doh my god....

The highest you could go on a 52 in ch TV is 1920x1080 unless you have some super high end TV. That's not extraordinarily higher than your other monitor.

What's the refresh rate on the 52 inch?

What's the refresh rate on your other monitor?

If you 52 inch is 60 and you have VSYNC enabled, you probably wont see a performance hit.

If your other monitor that's giving you issues is 120, there's your problem. VSYNC sync's your FPS to your monitor's refresh rate, meaning 120. So if it dips below 120, your fps will be cut in half. So let's say your fps was 75, well cut that in half and there's your FPS.

Try disabling VSYNC and see what happens, if you have it on at all. If it's not enabled, then I'm out of ideas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanno View Post
    The highest you could go on a 52 in ch TV is 1920x1080 unless you have some super high end TV. That's not extraordinarily higher than your other monitor.

What's the refresh rate on the 52 inch?

What's the refresh rate on your other monitor?

If you 52 inch is 60 and you have VSYNC enabled, you probably wont see a performance hit.

If your other monitor that's giving you issues is 120, there's your problem. VSYNC sync's your FPS to your monitor's refresh rate, meaning 120. So if it dips below 120, your fps will be cut in half. So let's say your fps was 75, well cut that in half and there's your FPS.

Try disabling VSYNC and see what happens, if you have it on at all. If it's not enabled, then I'm out of ideas.
    the TV is 120/60 refresh.
    The external monitor is 60.
    And VSYNC is always off. I think its a difference in speed between DVI and HDMI.
    doh my god....

Deleted
    the TV is 120/60 refresh.
    The external monitor is 60.
    And VSYNC is always off. I think its a difference in speed between DVI and HDMI.
    no actual speed difference that would affect you, but bad cable could be an issue.
    im still using vga>DVI adapter > gpu and i don't have any issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    no actual speed difference that would affect you, but bad cable could be an issue.
    im still using vga>DVI adapter > gpu and i don't have any issues.
    The monitor is ages old now. That could be the cause.
    doh my god....

10+ Year Old Account
    I think its a difference in speed between DVI and HDMI.
    it's possible on a laptop, but DVI and HDMI carry the same signal, so it's either an issue with the g73 or the external monitor

I'm wondering if your TV is re-sampling the video. I think Re-sampling gives the illusion of smooth frames? Not 100% sure how all of it works.
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Edit: Ah, not re-sampling, I was thinking of Sony Vegas and such. What I was looking for is called motion interpolation.

"Some displays use motion interpolation to run at a higher refresh rate, such as 100 Hz or 120 Hz to reduce motion blur. Motion interpolation generates artificial in-between frames that are inserted between the real frames. The advantage is reduced motion blur on sample-and-hold displays such as LCD.

There can be side-effects, including the soap opera effect if interpolation is enabled while watching movies (24fps material). Motion interpolation also adds input lag, which makes it undesirable for interactive activity such as computers and video games.[15]

Recently, 240 Hz interpolation have become available, along with displays that claim an equivalence to 480 Hz or 960 Hz. Some manufacturers use a different terminology such as Samsung's "Clear Motion Rate 960"[9] instead of "Hz". This avoids incorrect usage of the "Hz" terminology, due to multiple motion blur reduction technologies in use, including both motion interpolation and strobed backlights."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_motion_blur
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation
    http://www.overstock.com/forums/My-H...53/thread.html

This could be the issue with your fps appearing to be higher on the tv then your monitor since the monitor probably doesn't support this.
    If you disable the feature on your TV you'll probably get a more realistic frame which is what you find on your monitor. The desktop version of the 460m (GTX 460) was more of a budget GPU. I doubt the mobile version is going to be any better, so frame rates might not ever appear pleasing on the monitor without sacrificing graphics.
    Then again I can be wrong to. :S
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-02-05 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanno View Post

No, V-Sync doesn't work like that at all.

If you're running a monitor @ 60 fps you would get: 60 -> 30 -> 20 -> 15 -> 12 -> 10

I think a 120hz monitor would be: 120 -> 60 -> 40 -> 30 -> 25 -> 22 -> 20.

Triple buffering or Adaptive V-sync make V-sync work slightly differently.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...hnology_review

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_10.html
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    From experience of running 1920x1080 on a 460... I could run medium with little or no lag most of the time. With proper settings, I dont see why it would be a big deal.

The OP doesn't seem to grasp the fact that screen size does not matter, your laptop doesnt "care" if your screen is 60" or 19" only resolution matters.
    If your TV is at 1280x720 resolution and your monitor at 1600x900, of course the TV will have higher fps.
    Could you tell the resolutions for both screens, and also your fps in some game or games with each screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    The desktop version of the 460m (GTX 460) was more of a budget GPU. I doubt the mobile version is going to be any better, so frame rates might not ever appear pleasing on the monitor without sacrificing graphics.
    gtx 460m is not that bad, certainly better than any GT card (GT 640 for example).
    Last edited by Musta Kyy; 2013-02-06 at 02:33 PM.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |