Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    A gaming community would likely have more social outcasts or recluses who then turned into academia, so if the amount of fairly intelligent people is above average wouldnt be that surprising tbh.

Not to mention that the average person is fairly intelligent, problem comes when most people have little interest in academia which can lead to them appearing rather dumb, but i dont believe it to be the case.
    Truly stupid people arent that common.
    What does studying alot have to do with intelligence? Intelligence can help you study more efficiently but you can't increase it beyond your biological limits, regardless of your social status. I'd even say that most of gamer 'social outcasts' are nothing more than average intelligent and that the truly intelligent gamers usually do well in social environments.

A gaming community would likely have more social outcasts or recluses who then turned into academia, so if the amount of fairly intelligent people is above average wouldnt be that surprising tbh.
    Intelligent or educated? Because even an unintelligent person can become educated; it just takes more work.

Depends how tall and how beautiful. If I could be like 8 feet tall and basically look like the engineers from Prometheus then yes, I would. I wouldnt trade intelligence to look like other people though. Intelligence is far more rare than beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    What does studying alot have to do with intelligence? Intelligence can help you study more efficiently but you can't increase it beyond your biological limits, regardless of your social status. I'd even say that most of gamer 'social outcasts' are nothing more than average intelligent and that the truly intelligent gamers usually do well in social environments.
    Never said anything about studying a lot
    I mentioned interest in academic subjects and the notion that introverts tend to be a tad smarter (this is up to debate), it was meant as a fairly joky sentence not as a fact, i really should stop mix humor with my posts. *shrugs*

I look decent and i'm 1.95m so no, i would not

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Never. I am already tall and beautiful... It would be stupid of me to trade my intelligence for something I already have
    Would you trade any or all of them to have a better internet speed?

It really depends on how much I would lose and how much I would gain. If I went from a 9/10 to a 10.8/10 and lost one IQ point I would. But if I just gained a little bit of beauty+height and lost a bunch of int I would't. As to the people who are saying they wouldn't because beauty fades, so does int.

Not to mention that the average person is fairly intelligent, problem comes when most people have little interest in academia which can lead to them appearing rather dumb, but i dont believe it to be the case.
    Truly stupid people arent that common.
    My experience is quite the opposite. I think most people are spectacularly stupid.

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 07:11 PM ----------

Intelligence can help you study more efficiently but you can't increase it beyond your biological limits, regardless of your social status.
    This isn't true, measurable intellect can be improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    My experience is quite the opposite. I think most people are spectacularly stupid.

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 07:11 PM ----------

I disagree and agree

Disagree with your first sentence, perhaps is just our experiences being different? i find quite a lot of fairly intelligent people, but maybe my standards are lower than yours

And i agree with your second phrase, honestly im too tired right now to bother going into the topic of intelligence although my opinions are likely quite known already, so in avoidance mode

Deleted

That is why I said "beyond biological limit". You can have good and bad days and times of day when your mental capacity is not fully used but there will always be a biological limit. If the results on IQ test can be improved with work put into it, then the test itself is faulty. But then again we already know that IQ tests are not perfect.

That is why I said "beyond biological limit". You can have good and bad days and times of day when your mental capacity is not fully used but there will always be a biological limit. If the results on IQ test can be improved with work put into it, then the test itself is faulty. But then again we already know that IQ tests are not perfect.
    Yeah, that's kind of meaningless though. I can't improve my strength beyond some biological limit either, but I surely can improve it, and it's nowhere near its cap. The same is true for most people's intellect. Trust me, not that many people are capping out there.

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 07:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    You sure you dont just disagree with the people you find stupid?

I find that a lot of people I meet in life are kind of average people. You get the few idiots and the few smart arses but the spread doesnt seem that bad.
    Yes, I'm sure that I don't conclude that someone's stupid based on mere disagreement.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    You sure you dont just disagree with the people you find stupid?

I find that a lot of people I meet in life are kind of average people. You get the few idiots and the few smart arses but the spread doesnt seem that bad.
    I agree. Nowadays you are classified stupid if your opinions are not part of the mainstream. People can't wait to label you a racist, homophobe, or whichever new term they come up with.

I'll give you an example of something that leads me to decide, "this person is probably stupid" that all of us here can relate to, but most people will disagree with me on. If I see a player in WoW pulling 15K DPS on a boss (at level 90), ask them what's going on, and they say, "lol i play 4 fun", I feel pretty comfortable concluding that they're stupid. I know many people will tell me that this person might just have different priorities, but I honestly feel that people who don't care at all if they're good at things that they spend a fair bit of time doing are basically stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't consider the test faulty based on something like that simply because the brain has quite an extraordinary capacity to change itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Just curious, why did you add height? Who want's to be tall anyway? I'd happily give away 0.3-0.4' for free.

I'd only take the deal if it didn't make me too dumb, more like average, it came without the height and instead of beauty, I could keep what I have for the next 60 years or so at least..

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got height and some intelligence. Beauty is in the ey of the beholder.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

Deleted
    Yeah, that's kind of meaningless though. I can't improve my strength beyond some biological limit either, but I surely can improve it, and it's nowhere near its cap. The same is true for most people's intellect. Trust me, not that many people are capping out there.
    Muscles grow and develope from workout. Due to their mechanism of repairing from workout and thus growing you can have 500% increases in strenght from some skinny guy to power lifter.
    Brain cells on the other hand cannot grow back, they can become 'lazy' and with mental workout you can improve their efficiency to what nature intended should be used but you can't go beyond that. Every other improvement past that point is subjective and test measuring it becomes faulty.

15+ Year Old Account
    Can I trade my beauty/height for intelligence?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Very true, the brain works much akin to a muscle.
    People highly interested in academia will likely develop it more than those who prefer jersey shore all day, the potential for both however is likely similar, priorities and interests change and are what make the difference in the end.
    Also agree that most people dont quite cap it, likely due to motivation/interest and socioeconomics again.

I'll give you an example of something that leads me to decide, "this person is probably stupid" that all of us here can relate to, but most people will disagree with me on. If I see a player in WoW pulling 15K DPS on a boss (at level 90), ask them what's going on, and they say, "lol i play 4 fun", I feel pretty comfortable concluding that they're stupid. I know many people will tell me that this person might just have different priorities, but I honestly feel that people who don't care at all if they're good at things that they spend a fair bit of time doing are basically stupid.
    Cant agree here at all :d yes, that is purely motivation and interest based.
    Some people spend a couple of hours a week playing and see no reason to dedicate themselves, personally i dedicate to almost anything i do and end up being fairly good at it from that alone, but some people... dont care.
    I dont think that has much to do with intelligence.

Cant agree here at all :d yes, that is purely motivation and interest based.
    Some people spend a couple of hours a week playing and see no reason to dedicate themselves, personally i dedicate to almost anything i do and end up being fairly good at it from that alone, but some people... dont care.
    I dont think that has much to do with intelligence.
    I disagree! I think motivation is correlated to intellect very strongly.

That aside, if someone can't notice that hitting Pyroblast! or a Lock n' Load proc is good idea, they're fucking stupid.