Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Camelot Unchained

I know I shouldn't get over hyped about this so soon, but I am! Mark Jacobs (DAOC creator), just announced his new MMO.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02...ns-to-camelot/

As primarily a PvPer, I'm super thrilled to hear this:
    "Every system, skill, ability, gameplay element, etc., is geared toward RvR."
    Last edited by Worgoblin; 2013-03-01 at 08:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    will be fun, if the kickstarter doeasn't fail.

Well I hope they look at both GW2 and TES:O when it launches on how to not do RvR. I know Mark Jacobs knows his shit, but if you're going to make RvR the endgame focus you need to really make sure you nail it 100% correctly the first iteration.

Very interesting, pvp is all i do in mmo's and i crave a pvp focused mmo. DaoC and WAR did the pvp good but they are pretty dated or dead now, will definitely keep an eye on this.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelvardik View Post
    Well I hope they look at both GW2 and TES:O when it launches on how to not do RvR. I know Mark Jacobs knows his shit, but if you're going to make RvR the endgame focus you need to really make sure you nail it 100% correctly the first iteration.
    So if you read the interview from the Massively link, you'll see RVR isn't the endgame focus, it's the only focus. They said the game's going to be purely RVR based, everything's built towards that, and there's going to be very little PVE.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Matheren View Post
    So if you read the interview from the Massively link, you'll see RVR isn't the endgame focus, it's the only focus. They said the game's going to be purely RVR based, everything's built towards that, and there's going to be very little PVE.
    It sounds great =) Im looking forward to follow update on this game, and eventually play it =) Shame though not more viewers are excited, but it will come, moar pvp in mmos =))

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm significantly aroused by this. DAoC is without question my favourite MMO to date and pretty high on my general RPG list, while it's not the spiritual successor to DAoC the setting and the people behind it gives me high hopes for the games potential.

Finally, a kickstarter I can actually get behind.
    Oh aye.

Deleted
    also glad its a sub required game.

I'll keep my eyes on this for sure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbor View Post
    Finally, a kickstarter I can actually get behind.
    same here, first time every considering a kickstarter campaign.

I really hope they get an engine that can actually handle "rvr", not like WARs 1 fps stop-motion-rvr.

So cool but so far away...
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Deleted
    Looks very interresting. I think it holds alot of Merit and has a fair amount of the people who created my favorite MMO to date (DAoC) behind it. Some great ideas and seems like they've given their goals alot of thought. The most admirable part is as he said, they aim small. It's a niche game for a nice branch of a niche market. If 30.000 players is his goal on a regular payment subscription, I'm sure they can make that very well and perhaps more, which means it has even greater potential for success. It's the same thing I admire about ESO where the game design is based around interrest of content instead of just trying to keep a number high to 'save' your business. SW:TOR set out to be a big, money sucking machine to fund itself and fell flat, that won't happen with this game it seems. And I admire that.

All the admiration for the ideals of this game aside, though, I am not part of their target group, and unless atleast a month free play is available before comitting myself, I won't be trying it. But that's my own fault, and potential loss, entirely. I hope it'll become great, though, the MMO industry needs more games that serve specifically for RvR, even if I am not going to play them it'll help settle a playerbase who hungers it - and that's good for the entire industry as a whole =)

I played daoc aswell and daoc was the best pvp game that has ever existed, up until this point.

still i'm not sure how this is going to play out, it's definitely going to be a niche mmo and not a game for the masses, which doesn't have to be a bad thing though, of course.

i guess we are going to have to wait and see, but i think it's very far away if they don't even have the funds yet

I will give them some money for the kickstarter, hopefully, this will be the same fun as WAR was giving me, DAoC and WAR best pvp/rvr games so far tbh, GW2 was close, bu lack of gear progress (stat wise, look is not enough) and stupidly complicated and CC hell WvWvW ended with no fun at all in terms of "RvR" battles.

Alot of DAoC'ers moved to GW2 and I dunno what happened, but they are surelly waiting for new DAoC , seeing how many comments this article has so far, interest will be huge making +30k subs should be easily achievable.

I wonder how many years we will have to wait, but seeing Marc Jacobs saying "I would rather have 30k active subs than hundreads of thousands free players" brings me a smile Can't wait! Finally, my niche RvR.

I enjoyed the trailer, setting, music, dark times and this feeling of "the world is ending, sooner or later".
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2013-02-06 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    DAoC and WAR best pvp/rvr games so far tbh
    Yepp i agree, really hope this one will turn out awesome, really need a new pvp focused mmo.
    Do you hear the voices too?

15+ Year Old Account
    Waiting for the re-release of Asheron's Call...
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

I was a big fan of daoc and liked to RvR but a subscription-based game thats basically only RvR and nothing else sounds a bit boring to me. It sounds like some kind of fantasy Planetside but with a sub.

they have a 5 million dollar budget to make this game.....it's not going to happen.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wildemu View Post
    they have a 5 million dollar budget to make this game.....it's not going to happen.
    It's 10 million....5 of which is the projected cost to launch the game.

Also, what exactly is Kickstarter and how will it help them?
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.