Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    I have to stop visiting this thread too in case of spoilers. >.>
    Don't think you're at any more risk you've been all this past month. It's been out for Xbox for a while now, after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Skyrim playable without mods?
    I saw tons of them, are they out there because they make the game better? or easier?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    Skyrim playable without mods?
    I saw tons of them, are they out there because they make the game better? or easier?
    Playable, yes. If you're happy with the original game, don't mod. Quoting myself in another skyrim thread about modding:
    Modding requires a base amount of end user knowledge. If you do not use mod management programs or tools to check load order and conflicts - modding your game may cause more problems than is worth. Modding is not a simple case of "install and play". If you are not prepared to keep yourself educated on how to maintain your games, major issues will keep propping up and inevitably cause mod authors to quit their projects, retire modding or just close their comment threads.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 12:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Valenhil View Post
    Don't think you're at any more risk you've been all this past month. It's been out for Xbox for a while now, after all.
    Point taken. I guess people are really nice about spoilers then.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played Skyrim long ago and the only thing I did not like at that time was that I was not able to craft arrows and that some materials / ores were too heavy and I had to do alot of trips to my house to store them.
    Was this issue addressed with patches / DLCs ? if not, could you suggest a simple mod just for this?

Thank you.

Deleted
    Dunno about ore weight, but i think Dragonbone Arrows are now craftable in the unmodded Game? Or did i just had an older mod still lurking around...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    I played Skyrim long ago and the only thing I did not like at that time was that I was not able to craft arrows and that some materials / ores were too heavy and I had to do alot of trips to my house to store them.
    Was this issue addressed with patches / DLCs ? if not, could you suggest a simple mod just for this?

Thank you.
    If you have dawnguard, you can craft arrows. There's a loading screen for it too:
    http://images.uesp.net/thumb/3/3f/SR...be_created.jpg

Don't think ores were changed.

Got home to play skyrim and learnt that my save was corrupted

Time to restart and dive straight into Dragonborn.

Hey lore guys something never made sense to me. Talos was a nord who came down from skyrim, kicked some butt and then become a god, adding to the total number of divines. Then couple ages later the Aldmeri come along and ban the worship of him. So does that mean theirs only 8 divines?

Talos is a true divine. The Thalmor hate the idea of a non-elf reaching godhood, so they try to convince everyone, rather forcefully, that he isn't, and the official Imperial policy is that there are now only 8 divines.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Gecko View Post
    Talos is a true divine. The Thalmor hate the idea of a non-elf reaching godhood, so they try to convince everyone, rather forcefully, that he isn't, and the official Imperial policy is that there are now only 8 divines.
    Yea but the other divines aren't elves or do the elves worship them as elves? Like Akatosh is the dragon aspect, he's not an elf as far as I'm aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard McCoy View Post
    Yea but the other divines aren't elves or do the elves worship them as elves? Like Akatosh is the dragon aspect, he's not an elf as far as I'm aware.
    I think their problem is a human became divine, when they feel only elves should be given that privalege. Since the Aldmeri see humans as lesser beings, and the elves as the descendants of the gods, the fact that a human became divine rankles them so much that they deny him, and force others to do so as well.

I am no expert on lore, but from the bits I have picked up in this thread, that's my understanding as to why they outlaw Talos worship.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    I think their problem is a human became divine, when they feel only elves should be given that privalege. Since the Aldmeri see humans as lesser beings, and the elves as the descendants of the gods, the fact that a human became divine rankles them so much that they deny him, and force others to do so as well.

I am no expert on lore, but from the bits I have picked up in this thread, that's my understanding as to why they outlaw Talos worship.
    I always assumed they were pissed off because Talos had come and kicked them out of cyrodiil.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reason the elves want to ban the Worship of Talos is because it is a major step towards removing the imperials from existence. Once the imperials no longer exist in any form (completely extinct as a race, lost into history) then the universe will unravel and the Elves will return to Aetherius. I can't recall right now, but I think this also needs to be prefaced by the destruction of the 8 world towers, but that might be a separate route to unraveling the universe.

...Or something like that. The whole meta-physical pseudo-lore gets confusing.
    Last edited by Xothic; 2013-02-07 at 01:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Deleted
    Got DB installed now, didn't remove any mods and didn't start over and so far so good Had to find a compatibility patch for SkyRe though as some of the new armors had 0 armor rating. I haven't visited the new island yet and probably won't before I'm done with Dawnguard.

A question about canon TES lore.. is there even such a thing? I've been reading the books and there are often more than one about the same thing and they say completely different things or even use different names for the same person or location. For example Ysmir.. who or what is that supposed to be? One book claims it's some god called the Underking, another that it's Talos, then some say it's some nord general from Atmora and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well.

You've got at least three Ysmir's;
    One is Talos, the other is Wulfharth, and the third is the player character in Skyrim.

Talos is Talos, not much really needs explaining there, but Wulfharth was an ancient ruler of Skyrim who had some kind of weird ability to cheat death, which eventually earned him the name Underking.

Ysmir itself just means Dragon of the North, which is in itself some kind of strange name given to certain instrumental heros in Skyrims history.

Fair warning, once you start to get into the 'deeper' TES lore, shit starts to get REALLY confusing.
    Last edited by Xothic; 2013-02-07 at 01:52 AM.
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Please post any and all compatibility patches, new additions, and updates to mods related to Dragonborn.
    For starters(and predictably), The Unnoficial Drabonborn Patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Got DB installed now, didn't remove any mods and didn't start over and so far so good Had to find a compatibility patch for SkyRe though as some of the new armors had 0 armor rating. I haven't visited the new island yet and probably won't before I'm done with Dawnguard.

A question about canon TES lore.. is there even such a thing? I've been reading the books and there are often more than one about the same thing and they say completely different things or even use different names for the same person or location. For example Ysmir.. who or what is that supposed to be? One book claims it's some god called the Underking, another that it's Talos, then some say it's some nord general from Atmora and so on.
    there is canon, but you'll rarely find it in game. the game books which deal with lore are there to add realism to the world. they work just like it does irl. christians have a book saying how things did and did not happen, and so do hindus. well, it's the same with in-universe beliefs. each society has it's own creation myths and beliefs about the gods, some are more close to the truth than others. if you want the canon on how things go, you should look on the wikis and stuff. UESP is pretty reliable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    there is canon, but you'll rarely find it in game. the game books which deal with lore are there to add realism to the world. they work just like it does irl. christians have a book saying how things did and did not happen, and so do hindus. well, it's the same with in-universe beliefs. each society has it's own creation myths and beliefs about the gods, some are more close to the truth than others. if you want the canon on how things go, you should look on the wikis and stuff. UESP is pretty reliable.
    The vast majority of TES canon is extracted from the games, given that there arn't many other places to get it from. Apart from the game, there is Michael Kirkblades crazy little metaphysical ramblings, but whether or not its prudent to consider that canon is up in the air. While alot of the books in the TES games do have author bias, its not as exaggerated as you seem to be making it out to be, and you can usually get a basic understanding of The elder scrolls world by reading most of the books you come across. That said, if you want a comprehensive understanding of a certain aspect that isn't related to Kirkblade (encapsulating stuff like CHIM, the world towers etc) UESP is pretty great.
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

I always wondered how come they never had an expanded universe to TESO. I guess the games are so player driven it might be hard to do?

So as Laurcus clarified in the ESO race thread: There is no "elf" or "man" Aedra. They're all Aedra plain and simple. Talos, as a "man", ascended to godhood. He was no longer a man in any way, shape or form.

Man and mer are descended from the same beings: the Ehlnofey. The Ehlnofey were "devolved" Aedra due to Lorkhan's creation and "trickery".

The point of contention between elves and men are many.
    Two of a lot of the major ones are:
    1. the elves believe that they are descendents of the divines while humans believe they are their creation
    2. the elves believe that Lorkhan was a traitor while man believes Lorkhan to be their "savior" of sorts in creating Nirn.

The above poster was right in that the Thalmor aim to remove the mortal plain of existence and essentially "return" to Aetherius by taking control (removing?) all of the towers which is how it used to be before Lorkhan created Nirn. I'm not entirely sure on the imperials part of it.

The elves are right in that they are the descendents of the divines. The humans are wrong in believing that they are creations.

Lorkhan's power permeated throughout Nirn all the way up to, what I think, was the third era in Morrowind. Or maybe Morrowind happened afterwards. Anyways Lorkhan's heart was used as a vessel to obtain divinity by the Tribunal. I didn't play Morrowind so correct me if I'm wrong on this but Vivec was willing to give up his godhood (gained through contact with Lorkhan's heart) to end the corruption it was leading to. Etc. etc. etc.

Everything's really interconnected. Except for dragons. That shit still doesn't seem to fit all that well in the grand scheme of things.
    Yea yea, Alduin first born of Akatosh the chief Divine who's sole purpose was to bring about the end and renewal of Nirn. Except he's clearly not the only or biggest threat to Tamriel's plane of existence.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-02-07 at 06:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15