Thread: I need a hobby

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I need a hobby

So I'm in my first year of seasonal lay off for work. I've been off since Dec 13th and expect to go back late April or early May.

Currently my evenings are mostly booked solid for coaching basketball, as are weekends when I either have practice or travel with my team. During the day however I'm bored out of my mind.

I generally wake up between 8-10AM, have some breakfast then plant myself on the computer for most of the day. I'll play a mix of D3, LoL or WoW depending on how bored I get of the game I'm currently playing. If I'm bored of all 3 I go watch TV.

It's quite cold outside so I can't really go do anything outside, I'm a bit limited on money so I can't go out buying stuff every day. I was thinking of getting into reffing basketball but that would mostly only take up the evenings I'm not currently booked for.

Any suggestions? I work out 3-4 days a week but it's only in my house, free weights mainly.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Have you tried the World of Warcraft?
    I loled. Obvious answer.

Try to build a new skill set to make you more well-rounded?

Learn a foreign language, learn to code, audit a course that interests you, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    So an indoor hobby that is relatively cheap?

Have you ever tried testing your creative side and either drawing, painting, writing, or anything else in the art world?

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    So an indoor hobby that is relatively cheap?

Have you ever tried testing your creative side and either drawing, painting, writing, or anything else in the art world?
    Yes. English was my least favorite subject in school, followed by history and art. I'm a numbers guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... why don't you try to learn to play an instrument... i'm pretty sure you know someone (friend or family) that have one, that could be a good hooby to learn at home, or learn to sing :P (You can actually try that... why not?), there are many things you can do as a hobby in your house just think about it for a while

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    Yes. English was my least favorite subject in school, followed by history and art. I'm a numbers guy.
    Sudoku! lol I am quite the opposite.

Have you considered reading books?

Sudoku! lol I am quite the opposite.
    My job involves lots of sitting in my work truck for hours, in which most of that time is spent doing Sudoku, so i'm over that for now.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 08:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    Well... why don't you try to learn to play an instrument... i'm pretty sure you know someone (friend or family) that have one, that could be a good hooby to learn at home, or learn to sing :P (You can actually try that... why not?), there are many things you can do as a hobby in your house just think about it for a while
    Actually I'm interested in getting a guitar, I just can't afford one right now (I don't know anyone that has one, and I'd want my own anyways). That will be next years winter project.

10+ Year Old Account
    My job involves lots of sitting in my work truck for hours, in which most of that time is spent doing Sudoku, so i'm over that for now.
    You could go all Beautiful Mind on your windows lol

What do you like doing when the weather is nice out, besides basketball?

10+ Year Old Account
    Take an online class, https://www.coursera.org/ hopefully offers at least one thing that interests you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Daishi View Post
    Have you considered reading books?
    Yes, I just have none at my house. I guess I'll borrow one from my sister.

I'm a numbers guy.
    Programmation?

Also you can try music
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

You could go all Beautiful Mind on your windows lol

What do you like doing when the weather is nice out, besides basketball?
    Honestly, nothing lol.

I work outside all day, 8-6 generally then invite some of the kids I coach to a court from about 7-9 every day in the warmer months.

If I do anything else outside it's playing basketball myself, running, anything involving sports generally.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Minecraft will suck you into a hole that will take you until the sun dies to crawl back out of. You will emerge from your once modest hovel just in time to witness a magnificent flash; then death.

Highly recommended.

Source: I built a house in a volcano. With a lava moat. LAVA MOAT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Yes, I just have none at my house. I guess I'll borrow one from my sister.
    Do you have a local library to go to? Or perhaps a college or high school library?

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Take an online class, https://www.coursera.org/ hopefully offers at least one thing that interests you.
    Considering doing online courses towards a kinesiology degree. I'd love to be able to do something for work that directly ties into coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherQc View Post
    Programmation?

Also you can try music
    This,

You could also

**Freelance creating websites.
    **Produce music w/ different software. (Mixes/your own beats etc)
    **Photoshop - Create tutorials, offer services, help others etc...

It's a hobby so as long as you're enjoying it that's all that counts

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, nothing lol.

I work outside all day, 8-6 generally then invite some of the kids I coach to a court from about 7-9 every day in the warmer months.

If I do anything else outside it's playing basketball myself, running, anything involving sports generally.
    Bah, you sound just like me, although I have my drinking on the weekends lol During the week, I work and go to the gym. Other than that, I'm in my apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherQc View Post
    Programmation?

Also you can try music
    Not much interested in programming. I took a few courses in high school which I enjoyed, but my courses at university I didn't like so much.

As far as music, I listen to it all day. Playing an instrument will probably be something I get into next winter.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 09:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hksin11186 View Post
    Minecraft will suck you into a hole that will take you until the sun dies to crawl back out of. You will emerge from your once modest hovel just in time to witness a magnificent flash; then death.

Highly recommended.

Source: I built a house in a volcano. With a lava moat. LAVA MOAT!
    Tried it before, lost interested in 5 minutes.

That, plus I poke fun at the kids I coach for playing minecraft, not really understand how they find so much amusement out of it.