Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    I think it doesn't make much difference what the public reaction would be. It would be most unpleasant for everyone either way though. You think the US Government wouldn't draft people in order to protect their assets and interests and uphold their end of agreements because some of the general public would be unhappy about it? Especially with things being tense in certain regions as they are? A large portion of the public would be unhappy about it, extremely so, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't do it.
    If the general population was unhappy about it then it probably wouldnt happen. Seeing as that's how democracy works.

Quote Originally Posted by BaP View Post
    Please explain HOW we occupy and what countries that you have factual information to back these claims of occupation ???
    We still have military bases in Germany. It was only a little under 100 years ago that we were at war with them, but in this day in age - can our continuing presence in Germany really be justified? In what way is it helpful to have these military bases scattered across the world, when we also posses naval and air superiority to the rest of the world? If circumstances did change, and we suddenly did need to go to war with Germany, couldn't we then respond to those changes in circumstance and reinstall nearby military bases? Why do we need to maintain this global military empire, when we cannot even afford to do so?

I think it would be more difficult to name a country in which we do not have a military base.

You should be thankful that people are willing to defend your rights if need be. Show a little support, even if you don't agree with the Middle East conflicts. The fact that they're willing to put their lives on the line deserves respect from people like you and me who sit in our comfortable homes every day.

Oh, apart from the economic benefits of warfare and 'fighting for our freedom,' there are other aspects as well.

Peter van Uhm explains it much better than I ever could:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/peter_van_u...ose_a_gun.html

Edit: Please disregard the thick accent. We don't all speak like that.
    Last edited by Stir; 2013-02-07 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    I think it doesn't make much difference what the public reaction would be. It would be most unpleasant for everyone either way though. You think the US Government wouldn't draft people in order to protect their assets and interests and uphold their end of agreements because some of the general public would be unhappy about it? Especially with things being tense in certain regions as they are? A large portion of the public would be unhappy about it, extremely so, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't do it.
    So to summarize, you believe that our government can do anything it likes to or with its people, regardless of the wishes of the populace.

I disagree wholeheartedly. It wouldn't even need to be about elections, if everyone who was drafted moved to Canada instead (for example) - such a measure would fail completely. We still have some control over our government, and if an action that was so completely opposed by the people were taken, we could prevent it. The average person doesn't care (or isn't smart) enough about what's happening day to day in politics, but if the government suddenly started taking all male 18 year olds and sending them off to foreign countries to die in war, you can bet public opinion would change pretty quick.

Also why don't lawyers get praised as heroes? They may not risk their lives, but they still defend your rights / freedom.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    the Superpowers have continuously came to their countries and tried to impose their ideologies on them, effectively ruining their societies.
    Yeah we ruined their society.. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Everyone I know who went into the military did it to pay for college, or because they wanted the structure in their life. None of them did it because they wanted to go to war, or be put into a combat situation - even though that was a 'risk.' They also did it because on some level it IS considered an 'honorable' thing to do.

I don't believe our country is any 'safer' because we're going to war. I also don't think that most of the military command structure wants us to be at war. You seem to be linking the two together as if those who join the military are responsible for us being at war, which is obviously ludicrous. Respect the people who join the military; hate the politicians that send them overseas to die.

I personally did jion the Marine Corps knowing I would be going to combat, and as you said alot of it had to do with feeling it was the honorable thing to do. I made a promise to myself following september 11th 2001, that if there was still a "war" going when I graduate I would not only enlist, but join the infantry to be where the fight was. After two tours in Iraq, my opinion on why we are there has maybe swayed a bit, however I still believe it is better to take the fight to them overseas and keep them busy enough and disrupt them enough to delay what is probably an inevitable attack in the United States. I completely believe in the military and though everyone has their reasons for joining they still do knowing the risk they may or may not be put in. I have been retired since June 2008, after doing 4 years, and taking a grenade point blank to pelvic, lower body, and stomach area. (Thank god for all the gear we have now to protect us or I wouldn't be here),.. Semper Fi.

Deleted
    A functioning society does not need skyscrapers and iPads.
    We gave them toothbrushes, medical supplies and crops. Then we removed the explosives from the classrooms and allowed them to educate themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    We still have military bases in Germany. It was only a little under 100 years ago that we were at war with them, but in this day in age - can our continuing presence in Germany really be justified? In what way is it helpful to have these military bases scattered across the world, when we also posses naval and air superiority to the rest of the world? If circumstances did change, and we suddenly did need to go to war with Germany, couldn't we then respond to those changes in circumstance and reinstall nearby military bases? Why do we need to maintain this global military empire, when we cannot even afford to do so?

I think it would be more difficult to name a country in which we do not have a military base.
    go to war with Germany
    lol I'm sorry, but I just can't res pone to your paranoid thinking without laughing, is it possible we have bases in Europe to help defend that part of the world, do you think if the USA had bases there before Hitler took power maybe the Holocaust wouldn't have happened??
    Or are you one of those that think the Holocaust was a lie and the USA invaded Germany for their OIL??? lol

Deleted
    A functioning society does not need skyscrapers and iPads.
    Afghanistan never had a society when I was there, it was all tribes beating the shit out of each other or a corrupt local Government official taking bribes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Afghanistan never had a society when I was there, it was all tribes beating the shit out of each other or a corrupt local Government official taking bribes.
    Not to mention having sex with children and repressing women. Awesome society.

Edit: Scratch that. Don't answer; as I don't care. Asinine a statement as I've ever seen. Skyscrapers and iPads.... phew boy.
    Last edited by King Shark; 2013-02-07 at 03:50 PM.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by cplday0331 View Post
    I personally did jion the Marine Corps knowing I would be going to combat, and as you said alot of it had to do with feeling it was the honorable thing to do. I made a promise to myself following september 11th 2001, that if there was still a "war" going when I graduate I would not only enlist, but join the infantry to be where the fight was. After two tours in Iraq, my opinion on why we are there has maybe swayed a bit, however I still believe it is better to take the fight to them overseas and keep them busy enough and disrupt them enough to delay what is probably an inevitable attack in the United States. I completely believe in the military and though everyone has their reasons for joining they still do knowing the risk they may or may not be put in. I have been retired since June 2008, after doing 4 years, and taking a grenade point blank to pelvic, lower body, and stomach area. (Thank god for all the gear we have now to protect us or I wouldn't be here),.. Semper Fi.
    The funny thing is that Iraq and 9/11 was not related...

Just a day ago there was a thread where Afghanistan was shown before the superpowers decided to start smaking it, which you even posted on. Now you´re sweping this crap?

Simply put I only support the troops who have actually defended my country from countries that wish to invade us.
    I have no respect for any soldier or law enforcement officer who does what they do simply because a so called higher authority tells them to.

A soldiers mightiest weapon should be their own judgement and should that judgement cause them to disobey orders so be it, send that soldier to trial so the public can decide if he/she was right to disobey orders and if that soldier should be punished or not.

And lets be honest some commanding officers simply deserve to be shot in the face by their subordinates.

I've never looked at another society like that and thought, "Yeah, I really want to go FIX them."

It's also impossible. We cannot. We can't change another society to be like ours and even hope for success. It happens naturally, or not at all. War does not fix it. Killing people to change how they live is insane.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    So to summarize, you believe that our government can do anything it likes to or with its people, regardless of the wishes of the populace.

I disagree wholeheartedly. It wouldn't even need to be about elections, if everyone who was drafted moved to Canada instead (for example) - such a measure would fail completely. We still have some control over our government, and if an action that was so completely opposed by the people were taken, we could prevent it. The average person doesn't care (or isn't smart) enough about what's happening day to day in politics, but if the government suddenly started taking all male 18 year olds and sending them off to foreign countries to die in war, you can bet public opinion would change pretty quick.
    I didn't say that I think they can do anything they like. They would most certainly try if they thought it was the only way for them to maintain their interests and assets overseas and/or in hostile territories. If everyone that got drafted was able to successful dodge then sure, it would fall apart, but your idea hinges on Canada (for example) actually wanting those people or accepting them. It also hinges on those people having the ability to get to any place that would take them. I did say it would be an ugly situation, and I did say that it may not work out the way the government would want it, but they would try because they do have that resource available to them. It's a moot point though, it's never going to happen, there are too many people (thankfully) willing to serve. If it did happen though, it would be ugly for everyone.

Deleted
    I've never looked at another society like that and thought, "Yeah, I really want to go FIX them."
    Rough translation: Not my problem, don't care.

Fix a society by killing people? Best idea ever or just plain strange? You decide!

What if someone decides that we need to be "fixed"? It would be okay for people to invade us right? They are just trying to "fix" us after all.