Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scinder View Post
    That was a name off the top of my head. I am sure 5 minutes of research and I could dig up quite a bit more. Acting like Canada is safe is just silly unless they are OK with allowing terrorist cells to operate within their borders.

If I was a terrorist and had a choice who I would rather cause harm to then ofc the US would be the logical choice but to insinuate that no one cares enough to cause them hard is idiotic. We're just more important. Alone, I am not sure there is any country that would fear Canada.
    And this is the American superiority complex right here.
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-02-07 at 07:27 PM.
    I like sandwiches

That was a name off the top of my head. I am sure 5 minutes of research and I could dig up quite a bit more. Acting like Canada is safe is just silly unless they are OK with allowing terrorist cells to operate within their borders.
    Defiantly safer then the US, I don't see people trying to blow up huge towers in Canada.

15+ Year Old Account
    well my country would fear allmost every other country in the world, and it seems we couldn´t care less, that doesn´t mean we don´t have a "fbi-equivalent" and i hope we find every terrorist or alike that tries to opperate within our borders
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I absolutly hate when it comes down to this soldier worship stuff.

Look, we get you find it admirable that there are people willing to fight for the civilians and their countries, your families, all that stuff. But the reality of it is that it REALLY is pure propaganda. And this is not about the US, and about all the shady wars that have been going on for a decade.

People talk about the lessons history taught them and how they should worship their armies by allowing them to have freedom, but if anything, history can teach us how soldiers can be a force of opression, even in their own countries. Why? Because those are men trained not to be saviors, not to be heroes, but to be State-Hired Killers.

Now, I'm not judging killing at all - I'm just saying that the training of a soldier is not one of rescuing people in tight situations (that would be a firefighter), or providing medical aid in emergencies. Their training is in how to kill. It has always been, not only in recent militaries.

With that said, one has to remember that the State can, and many times, in very different countries, DID turn itself against it's very people. And this is not long-gone history, this is stuff that happened in well stabilished countries in Europe but 50 years ago, and that still happens in poor countries around the globe. Their soldiers are also honorable, brave men who signed up to defend their homelands, but guess what? It doesn't matter in the least. One should not honor intentions, but actions.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the soldiers in Spain during Franco enlisted to defend their homelands. Or japanese during WW2. Or hell, even german soldiers in WW2. If you assume this blind worship stance to anyone willing to put their life in the line, it's not a long stretch to say they should be honoring THESE soldiers, who ultimately were a force for pure evil.

Soldiers are hired professionals for the state. That's it. Anything else should be judged in a case-by-case scenario, not this bullshit abotu "ALL HEROES FIGHITNG SO I CAN BE HERE". Yeah, no. I live in a country with a piss-poor army and we're not constantly having terrorist threats because guess what, we didn't send our armies to fuck up other people's countries. That goes a long way.

Deleted
    I've been digging around for some reliable numbers as to why people choose to enlist, but been unable to find any. I did however find some numbers on why people would opt to stay.
    What are the three most important reasons why you would stay in the military? (Check only three.)

Percent Total
    Educational opportunities 18.13% 103
    Patriotism 44.54% 253
    Pay 33.1% 188
    Pension 60.04% 341
    Job security 49.47% 281
    Travel, adventure 16.9% 96
    Health care for my family and me 44.72% 254
    Career satisfaction 26.59% 151
    War in Afghanistan 6.51% 37
    And also
    What are the three most important reasons why you would NOT stay in the military? (Check only three.)

Percent Total
    Spouse job opportunity 25.44% 29
    Health care for my family and me 6.14% 7
    Working conditions 42.11% 48
    Pay 37.72% 43
    Poor leaders 61.4% 70
    Better job opportunity 35.09% 40
    Poor housing 7.9% 9
    War in Afghanistan 14.91% 17
    Frequent deployments 37.72% 43
    Poor base facilities 11.4% 13
    To pursue a full-time education 20.18% 23
    Source subsection: /2012/Morale/

Quote Originally Posted by bewbew View Post
    Soldiers are hired professionals for the state. That's it. Anything else should be judged in a case-by-case scenario, not this bullshit abotu "ALL HEROES FIGHITNG SO I CAN BE HERE". Yeah, no. I live in a country with a piss-poor army and we're not constantly having terrorist threats because guess what, we didn't send our armies to fuck up other people's countries. That goes a long way.
    Bingo! You don't fall to your knees to worship cops right? Cops can be "good" or "bad", just like soldiers. You should judge them based on their actions, not their profession.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    And this is the American superiority complex right here.
    Actually I was just mocking him. I wasn't being serious... Now you're just being obtuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always wondered about the people who would praise the troops. Yes, the work they do is selfless and honorable as an individual. But the program is despicable. I would never agree to be a gun for hire, working for some of the most dishonest, corrupt bastards to grace the field of politics. I'm not sure young men and woman are aware when entering the armed services that they are just as sheepish as civilians. They are merely chess pieces. They will be programed to do as they are told, when they are told and how they are told. They are not permitted to question the actions or commands of their superiors. They are your typical corporate suit, but in fatigues and with guns. And instead of desks, cubicals and rolling chairs, they get get bunkers, sandbags and dirt.

Alone, I am not sure there is any country that would fear Canada.
    People should fear Canada. It's a Canadian sniper that holds the world record for longest kill shot. That's enough to keep me scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftyshammy View Post
    Since we're name calling...are you not acting like an insurgent?
    Hitler and also the Stasi relied on people like yourself. Just saying.

In reality it's similar to being a body guard or mercenary. The only difference is the person or entity hiring you...

10+ Year Old Account
    I admit that the posters comments have pissed me off quite a bit. Hard for me to respect someone that seemingly has an obvious axe to grind. I believe that everyone needs to show the men and women that serve respect especially those that come home in worse shape than they left. I am in no way disrespecting his family member. I have the utmost respect for those that put their lives on the line and I would treat them as if they were my family. The ones that disrespect or disgrace what we do can go 'diaf'.
    I understand that America is described as a melting pot of cultures and races, while Canada describes itself as a multicultural society. Why should I pay respect to someone (unless it benefits my image) that goes off to war killing my culture, destabilizing socio-political infrastructures of nations, and does it upon his/her own choice. No...I dont feel respect, I feel pity for the puppet they are, blinded by their heroic representations of old, of what a soldier is.

Drones on the other hand, which more and more missions are using, symbolize the true manner our north american armies fight. Within the shadows, obscure of any pride, honor, and patriotisms. They are an empty vessel.

I do not want to picture our soldiers as the latter, but unfortunatly thats what they are. Even our own governments treats them as such when they finish service.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bewbew View Post
    I absolutly hate when it comes down to this soldier worship stuff.
    It's not worship. They deserve your respect. Nothing more. They do not deserve criticism for the governments actions or decisions. They do not deserve the hate that they receive when they come home.

There are some that are going to be entitled douche bags, can't do anything about that. Putting out blanket statements such as:

They have no other option.
    They are ignorant.
    They're in it for the money

etc. etc.

These are all foolish statements to be putting on a group as a whole. Most of the men and women that I served with don't want your thanks (not that they wouldn't appreciate it, that's not why they joined). They don't care that you put a bumper sticker on your vehicle. They don't want preferential treatment. They do expect respect and they all have earned at least that much.

If you can do that then I have no issues with you. You're entitled to your opinions on our foreign policy and whatever else we can agree or disagree on.

If you can't then imo you can get bent.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a great example of how different the US and Canadian policies are:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...error-18421582

The US will assassinate their citizens suspected of working with terrorists, with collateral damage of course. Canada takes the more reasonable approach of taking away their citizenship.

Do Canadians worship their soldiers? They keep that place more safe than the US. You would think that they would be gods there where they do such a great job that they do not even get terrorized.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    Bullshit, in a few years the US of A. will become the biggest oil exporter.
    If you believe Republican propaganda. Hydraulic fracturing and Canadas oil-sands bonanza is not the solution. It's more a sign how desperate we became to get the last drops of oil. Both technologies will ruin the environment and pollute the freshwater.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

It's not worship. They deserve your respect. Nothing more. They do not deserve criticism for the governments actions or decisions. They do not deserve the hate that they receive when they come home.
    They deserve the same respect as anyone else...

If I see a soldier there is no reason why I should treat him better then the buss driver or postal worker, unless I know for sure he did something fantastic.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moultron View Post
    People should fear Canada. It's a Canadian sniper that holds the world record for longest kill shot. That's enough to keep me scared.
    One man army eh?

That title is passed around between Canada, US and the Brits all the time. Great title to have but they are no Chris Kyle (R.I.P).

Some call it luck but it takes a great deal of intelligence to know how to make a shot like that. If you ask some people on here, the military members are simply meatheads.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 01:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    They deserve the same respect as anyone else...

If I see a soldier there is no reason why I should treat his better then the buss driver or postal worker, unless I know for sure he did something fantastic.
    Oh so now you need to see their credentials? You are one pathetic individual. If they were to tell you what they have had to do your punk ass would just try and discredit them.

You don't deserve the freedoms that you are allowed to have. I'm through wasting my time on you. Keep living in your fantasy world clown.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Radux; 2013-02-07 at 07:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your lax policies on immigration have allowed terrorists to operate within your borders and then they move across the border to the US. You just allow them to operate freely.

Ahmed Ressam ring a bell??

Maybe you should pay more attention to your CSIS.
    You mean the guy who had an active warrant in Canada, and was under investigation and observation by CSIS until he left the country in '98

Yeah, we had tabs on him. He wasn't targeting us, and he took off before we could track him back to a larger cell. Not sure how that in any way fits what you're talking about or in any way suggests that we weren't handling it.

Yes, criminals do their best to avoid being tracked and captured by law enforcement. He wasn't "allowed to operate freely", you're just being ridiculous. And outright dishonest if you don't think US policy is pretty much the same in most respects. Letting known criminals operate so you can trace them back to their superiors is pretty standard practice.

Oh so now you need to see their credentials? You are one pathetic individual. If they were to tell you what they have had to do your punk ass would just try and discredit them.

You don't deserve the freedoms that you are allowed to have. I'm through wasting my time on you. Keep living in your fantasy world clown.
    That's not what I said. I said they deserve the SAME respect as anyone else, unless I know they did something special.

Why don't you learn some manners boy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonnica View Post
    They are defending/fighting for the country's interest, Oil.
    Never really been about freedom or a war on terror, just Oil.

In my eyes (Im not from US btw) they are just makeing sure that other cant have freedom.. or money.
    Do you realize how little of our oil comes from the Middle East?